Ron Weasley's Rat Goblet from Harry Potter UPDATED with a new colour scheme.

Pete SSS

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here's another little project for you Potter fans to take a look at, this is just a bit of fun really, but I'm pretty happy with the progress so far.

Ron has a broken wand, so struggles with spells throughout this movie. In this scene, he is trying to turn his pet rat Scabbers into a water goblet, but only gets so far...

Here is a bit of reference for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about

HP2-01444.jpg
HP2-01447.jpg

My replica is a solid resin goblet with a really soft silicon tail, all finished in various colours of flock and with a little bit of airbrushing to blend it together.

It's not entirely finished yet, I'd like to have another go at the flocking, as I feel the colour of the flock on the base is a little too dark, and the silicon tail as a few air bubbles on the back, but as I say, as an an initial test piece, Im pretty happy with it.

And here are a few shots of my Rat Goblet as it is today.

RonRatGoblet02.jpg

RonRatGoblet01.jpg

RonRatGoblet03.jpg

RonRatGoblet04.jpg

You can see the nice flexible nature of the tail in different positions in the photos, it's actually pretty creepy in person!

Not quite a final piece yet, I'll have another go at the flocking another time, and I may try a different base colour to paint the resin with.

Anyway, there you go, let me know what you think

Cheers!

Last edited:
Re: Ron Weasley's Rat Goblet from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Wow that's awesome! Very interesting project, definitely not something I could've thought up! Lol
Subscribing now!

This is a great prop! Looks really great pete:thumbsup

That is both excellent and freakin' creepy at the same time.

Last edited:

is the goblet a 'found' item, or is it something you sculpted yourself?

Last edited:

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it

That is both excellent and freakin' creepy at the same time.

The tail really is a bit creepy, there's something about the weight of it, and the way it falls which is almost too real, my wife won't touch it!

is the goblet a 'found' item, or is it something you sculpted yourself?

A bit of both Nobby, here are some WIP photos, you can see a much smaller goblet that I used as a base to sculpt over. This "goblet is actually an inverted bell that I soldered onto the base stem.

IMG_1342.jpg

Then I scaled a screencap and cut out a new profile from some styrene to guage how much material I needed to add

IMG_1343.jpg

Next I rolled out some clay inside this old IKEA frame, this kept the clay a reletivly uniform thickness (yes, I used the Bundy bottle as a roling pin)

IMG_1346.jpg

I then cut the clay into strips, and applied them to the bell goblet

IMG_1350.jpg

Then spent some time in the evening, smoothing it all out, constantly refering to my styrene profile to make sure it was correct and uniform.

IMG_1352.jpg

As the initial base goblet was too small on the inside, once I had moulded the outside of the sculpt, I had to use the same process of building up a thickness in the inside of the mould, once I had removed the initial sculpt. (Hope that makes sense!) Then I poured the other half of the mould and got this resin cast

DSCF1128.jpg

Cheers!

very cool! i really like this project.

This really looks cool, And very accurate!:lol

Sorry in advance for my English. I am French. This is a great prop. You seem to have an eye for detail. I am impressed.

Cheers guys for the comments, I came across this little gif of the spell in my research, I forgot to post it earlier!

Scabbers_Transfiguration_01.gif

This is a terrific prop replica and one that I've wanted to do myself for a long time. Really FANtastic!!(y)thumbsup

Pete if you're going to make a run of these I'd be very interested :D

LOVE IT!!! Not a prop I would have thought to make- but it looks GREAT! Would love one for my collection!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back