Romulan Warbird. No love for the design?

Jediguy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys, I was looking around and realized that there just aren't many versions of the romulan warbird d'deridex class vessels that have been put out. Why is that?

I actually have one of those NIB that I haven't had time to build. I like that version as it's in line with the Enterprise-D design.

Size comparison..
Scimitar, Enterprise-E, Warbird, Valdore
Nemesis_ship_comparison_anddd2.jpg

As for firepower, the Scimitar had multiple redundant disruptors, torpedo launchers, and shields. Picard called it a "Predator". Worf said "Gotta get me one of those!"

funnily enough I was thinking the exact same thing the other day, to my knowledge Ertl only ever released the smallish one with the 'Enemy Ships' 3 piece set, I would love a decent sized TNG Warbird

as a kid i had a model kit of the warbird that was made by Ertl it was 1.3200 scale. in the 90's it was about £30 i think, i also had the 3 piece set with the ferengi ship, klingon BOP and the romulan warbird. none of the ships where ever in scale to each other.

Strangely I was just looking at one of these as a next-build. Love the Warbird, far more so than the Scimitar - which to me looked like a gigantic mess (no offense to the hard work John Eaves put into it, the Valdore was a far better and more Romulan design).

The ERTL kit, while small, is a really great model. I have one I built up years ago (unpainted, needs better seam-work), and an unbuilt one still in the box.

The design of the Warbird IMHO is a bit of an oddball. In one sense it is a very cool design with its bi-plane wings. But it is kind of strange and maybe a bit too stylized. If the Enterprise D seemed like a cruise ship, the Warbird LOOKED like one with how vertical its structures were and you didn't see any obvious weapon ports. Valdore being more understated I think did the job better as a ship of action that could pounce when needed. There are also some strange looking angles on the Warbird as well.

I would say the biggest reason why you don't see more of these built is due to its paintjob though, which is almost monotone bright green. Romulan TNG ships are rather clean and have to be kept that way while the Klingons can be detail heavy with all the weathered accents and surface panels on them to pop out the detail. You can do paint effects on a Romulan, but they have to be kept rather subtle (like doing a proper Aztec pattern on a Federation ship so it doesn't end up checkerboardy) to look good and they don't read too well until you get close. At least the classic Romulans were cooler looking with the gray tones and the bright obnoxious orange and red bird on the bottom (I would love to see somebody try that on a TNG Warbird, if it could be done properly).

I remember when Hallmark did the Warbird ornament for Christmas. So you had a green ship with green lights put on a green Christmas tree. It made the perfect camouflage (or the ship was cloaked)!

Thanks for the input guys. I always wished to own a studio scaled warbird lol. But can;t find anything cept the ertl kit and the playmates warbird

Best ship design in all TNG, if you ask me.
Yep, i agree with this too.
When i saw the very first pic of the Warbird, i thought, "wow!!!! That's fantastic, original and inspiring!!!"

Now if only Star Trek could sort out their "all over the place" ship scales....

Rich

Looking forward to watching this build. I've got one finished and one in the box. I've thought about re-doing one of these for some time. My wife really likes the design of this ship.

Built my AMT Warbird from the NextGen Adversary Set years ago. I painted it using a transparent pearl green overcoat. Did a few too many coats though so it ended up being more of a dark jade green. I still like it though. Here's a pic:

Warbird.jpg

I think Andrew Probert was kicking around working with a modeler to come up with a kit of his 'concept' Warbird. While I appreciate the finalized design, I thought his first take on the ship, (with a vertical orientation as opposed to the standard horizontal) was extraordinarily innovative..And, scary. Reminded me of some massive scorpion or something. If anyone hears of a kit of that design actually getting produced, PM me...That's my Romulan "must have" :)

I think Andrew Probert was kicking around working with a modeler to come up with a kit of his 'concept' Warbird. While I appreciate the finalized design, I thought his first take on the ship, (with a vertical orientation as opposed to the standard horizontal) was extraordinarily innovative..And, scary. Reminded me of some massive scorpion or something. If anyone hears of a kit of that design actually getting produced, PM me...That's my Romulan "must have" :)

You mean this design? I like it too.

probert_2011_march_r021.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back