Roman's Obi ANH pommel vs the rest: thoughts?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Filandrius, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Filandrius

Filandrius Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts accuracy and quality-wise about Roman's handwheel replicas vs. other replicas and the real thing? Roman's latest replica (which can be found on eBay) is made from chromed machined aluminum, can be dismantled in 4 parts and has 3/8-16 threads (I think) Does anyone bought one recently? I'd really like to see it compared to a Russrep, for example.

2. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

It was close. Probably the best mass produced one so far. The one I got, and later sold, was too rounded because someone polished the details out.

I have a Chen Hand-wheel that's made of steel and it's the most accurate one ever made.

FB

3. Filandrius

Isn't that the point? That the details be polished off? Isn't the true handweel more rounded than that? Personally I think that Roman's edged are a little too sharp in comparison.

4. Starsky

Starsky Member

Being new here, I don't know what a Romans handwheel is.

Well I know what it is but I don't know who Roman or Romans is and I can't find it on ebay. Can you post a link to the ebay item or to the Roman website?

5. Filandrius

Don't think it's allowed to post a live eBay auction, sorry.

Roman's Empire. He's a reputed SW parts maker. He made lightsabers parts in the past and apparently he's still making them. And I don't think he has a website (if he does I can't find it)

6. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

His website is no longer up. Although I think he might be doing another run of pommels to sell on ebay

7. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, he seems to do a run of pommels every few months or so. Personally, I prefer his pommel to Russrep's version simply because they are a quite a bit lighter. The tapped section is very helpful though because you can simply run a bolt in there to hold the pommel in place.

Also, I'm not sure if he's changed this recently, but his older caps were not chromed, so they had a more yellow tone than the rest of the pieces. He may have started chroming them (or redesigned them all together) recently though.

8. Starsky

Starsky Member

That's why I can't find a website. It's unfortunate but there have been a number of creators who have been in existence in the past but have then stopped producing parts, etc., for us to buy. The other problem I've found are sites that still exist but are producing different items from what they have produced in the past.

9. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does anyone have pictures of all of them together? Romans, Russ, real thing, plastic modern, parks, etc. ?

10. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

None of the Roman's parts were that accurate. He was a good producer but he only went as far as he needed to satisfy the market. Somewhat of a, most people can't tell so who cares, attitude. That being said, the pommel was his most accurate piece.

Serafino did the best Emmiter and Booster and Chen did the best pommel.

I had 2 pommels from Roman's and one was buffed too much and the other had machine marks all over it. I assume they were buffed so much to get the marks off.

FB

11. Filandrius

OK that's what I thought. The pommel looks spot on both dimensions and parts-wise (it was made using a real vintage one as reference, after all) but it looks like it was sent to the chromer straight after machining. Even with the chrome, you clearly see the machine marks, and the cubes's edges are really sharp. It's a real shame because a little tiny bit of buffing might've fixed that.

12. thd9791

I think I know which one we're talking about on the bay, the area around the threaded hole looks really ..round, and dome-ish. is that normal?

13. Filandrius

Which threaded hole? The hole inside?

14. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

Filandrius, do you have an original? The details are pretty sharp.

FB

15. thd9791

:) at least the one I saw looked almost solid with one threaded hole in the center

only one I could find on US and UK bay

16. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The one currently listed on eBay says it's a Parks pommel, which is based on the modern (oversized) AS handwheel... I don't know why the dude tapped a hole through the top though. I would NOT pay that much for it, it looks horrible, especially with that hole.

17. Sith_Lord_Hritz

Sith_Lord_Hritz Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What about Russ's Obi ANH parts? I thought they came out great

18. thd9791

Serenity, thank you, i figured it was something along those lines.
    are the plastic, chromed ones the modern ones you refer to? how over-sized are they?

(aka are we talking mms or many cm or inches)

19. Starsky

Starsky Member

I can't find it on ebay. Can someone at least tell me what search words to use?

20. Filandrius

Oh that's not the one. Roman's auction has ended. I just found the Parks one, and THAT one is horrible. A threaded hole straight through? Yikes.

I found Parks' one by searching for "obi-wan lightsaber pommel" But if you search for the same thing in completed listings, you'll find Roman's one too (which looks incredible now that I've seen that Parks :O)

And no, I don't have an original. :)

21. Starsky

Starsky Member

I found he Romans but still can't fine the Parks version.

22. Filandrius

You don't see it because he doesn't ship outside of the US. Search for it on ebay.com. "Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber Pommel"

23. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

What's a thread without pictures :

[​IMG]
    Real vintage Armitage Shanks handwheel: 4 Parts chromed plastic and metal.

[​IMG]
    Modern AS handwheel with a wrong D-ring: Chromed plastic.

[​IMG]
    Modern AS handwheel on the Obi-Wan lightsaber : NO that stand is not mine.

-Chaim

24. parfaitelumiere

parfaitelumiere Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The best replica is the one I made.

I took care about all details diameters and curvatures,however I spent about 20 hours with machining and polishing.
    Internal part of my pommel is really different,because of special use.
    However,when screwn on the booster,it' as close as possible to original.
    I don't leave room when I screw it,because I have made special drawing mentionnig why it's less or more screwn on booster,for cooling internal energy cell controller,same thing about the cap,that's why on "tunisia" cap is missing,to bring more air for cooling....haha.

Then I think about the Russrep:
    measurments are quite same,except the first rim near booster,too long,4,5mm instead of 4 mm,some curvatures are wrong,and some details are missing.
    negative radius instead of positive radius;a 0,3mm rim to;internal rim too;cubes radius but these details are really ennoying to reproduce,and would be really explensive to sell...
    Internal is very different to original,cap is really different too.
    Polish is not very good,but I think it's the best replica available for the moment,for a reasonnable price.
    Imagine if Russ was obliged to spend 20 hours for a pommel,what would be the price....
    Original part is cast,and cast items are really difficult to reproduce by machining...
    good,it's possible to choose version,by reversing the cube section.

About Roman's I don't know,sems it's not so accurate,even it's reversible.

I don't really want to spend 80 $ for it,but if someone has good colose up pics,I 'm interested in!

Modern AS is not really nice,I think it's far better to use a russrep,even a romans than a modern AS handwhell.

25. parfaitelumiere

mine and original:

[​IMG]

profile comparition:

[​IMG]

On saber:

[​IMG]

Here are 4 pommels:

[​IMG]

Top 2 AS,new and old
    Bottom,my first made from nickel plated brass,and Russ.
    The cap has bee modified on my brass version to match the correct diameter and curvature.
    It's actually swimming in ammonia to give it antique patina....

And here is Russ profile:

[​IMG]

With incorrect profil of first brass pommel test,has been modified,even not 100% accurate.
    Other view of Russ's profile:

[​IMG]

26. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Beautiful handwheels, parfaitelumiere! I thought Russ' handwheel was the be all end all. But then again, I don't have a real to compare to.

27. parfaitelumiere

about slope of "cube section"
    The original AS handwheel cube section was cast in a 2 parts mold.
    So the diameter is not same on top and bottom,on round and flat section.
    Round is 49,5 on botton and 49,2 on top.
    Flat is bout 41,5 on bottom and something like 41 on top
    It's for removing after casting.
    cubes are rounded,with 1mm radius,all faces.

The modern AS has a very big slope,and some faces are not rounded,so it's really not accurate.

Replicas have no slope,because it's easier to have same diameter by machining.

Most of replicas have no rounded faces,and really small machining details are not reproduced.

I would know more about booster,what are differences,and why seraphino is best replica.

In fact I would find a real one,then replicate it,and then sell it when I achieve my replica.

I can make a swap,I have the old AS handwheel,if someone has a real booster....

28. Filandrius

I've saw that handwheel in your thread, and it's a work of art. I totally agree that it's the best replica ever made. The only flaw I can see is that you don't sell them! :D

29. parfaitelumiere

price would be quite same as original....
    And only interest is the inside,that is NOT accurate,but made for a complete working saber project...
    So ,if same price than original,and for a static,it's better to buy an original....if you find it!

30. Filandrius

Yeah I kinda got that. With the work you've put on it, I would be ashamed to offer you any less than the value of an original. ;)

31. thd9791

What an interesting bit of history. Never knew so much could go into a sink knob from the seventies

So the modern AS handwheel is slightly larger, with a slightly domed end cap and round-er features. The real one is a bit smaller with sharper features.

ooh so thats why romans and russ' are so much better, they're even more accurate than a later model

32. parfaitelumiere

NO,old one has rounded cubes too,same curvature as new one.

I took a look at roman's ones...
    I think the best choice is the romans,but only if you can polish and put chrome again on it,because aluminum is far easier to polish than steel!
    The best would be to obtain some rough aluminum pommels,modify radus and polish it,then a chrome layer,and then it will be very good.

If you can't,choose a Russ...

33. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

Parfaitelumiere, that handwheel is a work of art. Amazing.

34. Filandrius

Golden info. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. :)

Ain't that the truth.

35. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Original and yours . . .

EXCELLENT

-Chaim

36. thd9791

:D sorry I meant a more rounded end cap.

37. parfaitelumiere

You mean,the rim of endcap?
    Not wrong,inside has bee sanded,so it looks not shiny on photo.

I would make one with "H" and Armitage shanks" written on it,but I don't know how to do...

And finally,I like it without engravings,looks more like a "real" lightsaber part,with "technical" reasons about shape,haha.
    I don't know how,but I would add black parts inside,to make illusions that the hearts of the cubes are black,and antimagnetic,then make a link from thin copper wire between the black sections.
    Will be visible only when totally dissasembled,so I'm not sure it would be really necessary to do it...

38. thd9791

lol no, sorry, I meant the endcap itself. on the old accurate version it is a flat piece of metal or plastic. On the more modern ones It's a little curved, domed or convex

From the side view
    more like (
    instead of [

39. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

FYI, the Chen replicates the inside just like the real thing so it's the most accurate. The tabs on the inside of the sink knob are what grabs the booster threads just like on a real one.

parfaitelumiere, from the pics, yours looks great!

FB