Romana's Sonic Screwdriver

Re: Romana's Sonic Screwdriver Revealed at last!

I'm sorry, but I have to ask.

Why should we believe YOU? Seriously. You can say whatever you want was told to you, but unless you get an video recording of him saying that, how are we supposed to know you're just not full of it?

I think it's an interesting idea, but until someone comes up with a real world copy of the supposed antenna, it's still just a rumor as far as I'm concerned.

Ah, and there it is.....

Let me hop into my TARDIS and go back to 1986 so I can ask JNT for a recording of our talks.

The problem with the internet is that it has spread so much disinformation that people like you have lost all trust in anything.

I don't have to prove it to you or anyone else.

I had the information, and I passed it on so others could make their own prop, for their enjoyment.

There is no profit in it for me, I not selling these things, and I have to face people calling me nasty names....

It's all a mute point as the King of all Doctor Who props has stated that the original prop was made with a Telescopic tool with a screw joint at the small end.

He even suggests that you can make one with pieces from a small antenna and parts of a telescopic tool.

Based on the lack in interest in this thread and this prop, is all this really worth it?

It's all a mute point as the King of all Doctor Who props has stated that the original prop was made with a Telescopic tool with a screw joint at the small end.

He even suggests that you can make one with pieces from a small antenna and parts of a telescopic tool.

Based on the lack in interest in this thread and this prop, is all this really worth it?

Just because a certain person knows that it originally had a mirror on the end, doesn't mean that people agreeing with him are doing that without prior knowledge. I knew Lalla Ward a good 28 years before I'd even heard of that Twitter account. I thought it was an antennae too until the mirror fitting was pointed out. It is spot on for that fitting. So for anyone looking for accuracy and THE prop used piece. They should source an old telescopic inspection mirror as it has the correct end piece and collapses exactly to the same spec and way seen on screen. For those that want 100% accuracy by finding that old source rod, they won't get it by buying an old aerial as these traits will be missing.

JNT can be forgiven for thinking it was an antennae, anyone then and now would think the same on seeing it, it's only when you look at the finer details like the lack of connection piece at the base (which was capped and solid), and weird attachment holes on the other end that you would see it as something else.

No drama, it's a pretty disapointing piece anyway compared to the solid replicas available.

Just because a certain person knows that it originally had a mirror on the end, doesn't mean that people agreeing with him are doing that without prior knowledge. I knew Lalla Ward a good 28 years before I'd even heard of that Twitter account. I thought it was an antennae too until the mirror fitting was pointed out. It is spot on for that fitting. So for anyone looking for accuracy and THE prop used piece. They should source an old telescopic inspection mirror as it has the correct end piece and collapses exactly to the same spec and way seen on screen. For those that want 100% accuracy by finding that old source rod, they won't get it by buying an old aerial as these traits will be missing.

JNT can be forgiven for thinking it was an antennae, anyone then and now would think the same on seeing it, it's only when you look at the finer details like the lack of connection piece at the base (which was capped and solid), and weird attachment holes on the other end that you would see it as something else.

No drama, it's a pretty disapointing piece anyway compared to the solid replicas available.

Thank you,

The conversation with JNT took place while I was showing him the inside working of my K-9 he remarked that everything(controls, Radio transmitters, etc) had gotten so small and that the show prop was packed. As I was putting the case back on K-9 he tapped the tail and remarked that the Romana's sonic was made of one of these things. Maybe he thought my K-9 tail was a telescopic tool, or that the sonic was an antenna.

At least we now know Thanks to CT what the real prop was made from.
I just wish he could have be nicer about it.

I agree that the real thing does look boring, but it is a very cheap replica that everyone could make.

Can we go back to having fun now?

At least we now know Thanks to CT what the real prop was made from.
I just wish he could have be nicer about it.

To a small degree, you've been exposed to the abuse you can receive when posting 'knowledge' about certain props in the DW world.
That person you mention has insider knowledge to a huge degree and has been bashed in every way when it has been published. I've had the same abuse hurled in my direction when I 've shared facts about DW props here, and that's why I've not done so since. I'm certainly not going to make public why I know Lalla Ward or other people in the film/TV industry and to ask is just plain rude. You go by truths, and everything I've posted about a prop or production has proven true in the past The same goes for other people. But it is unfortunate that it seems to be the trend nowadays to hound those with a proven track record, and to praise those who have continually been proven to give false information.

Knowledge isn't power in this hobby, it's a millstone. I used to get really eager and excited when the opportunity came to answer a question not widely known and to share with people who were equally as interested. But then, when you do, it's shot down in flames by someone who knows nothing about the subject but has a bigger ego that needs massaging for some reason I still cannot comprehend. Maybe it's the post count syndrome. Whatever, it is, it's killed my enthusiasm for sharing and now my posts seem only to be to defend what I know is true, despite flying in the face of other peoples misinformed opinion. I apologise for some of my family being in the film and TV industry, and that I'm friends with some high profile people that I am unwilling to offer proof for. But I wish to keep them as friends and I'm old fashioned and my private life is just that. Private.

OK, so I slapped one of these together...

11447-pc010033.jpg

And here it is amongst it's brethren (I don't really keep them in the chest, I just did that for Waz's benefit XD)

11446-pc010032.jpg

Now, maybe I used the wrong type of collapsible tool, but this just doesn't look right to me.

OK, so I slapped one of these together...

11447-pc010033.jpg

And here it is amongst it's brethren (I don't really keep them in the chest, I just did that for Waz's benefit XD)

11446-pc010032.jpg

Now, maybe I used the wrong type of collapsible tool, but this just doesn't look right to me.

That looks fantastic. It's definitely in line with what is seen. The lower handle is probably thicker and this could be solved by adding one more tube. The irony is that it's probably pretty accurate.

That looks fantastic. It's definitely in line with what is seen. The lower handle is probably thicker and this could be solved by adding one more tube. The irony is that it's probably pretty accurate.

Thanks. I'm thinking that to get it right I'll need to grind out some of the interior stops, and add some exterior tubes like you said. The plain look of the handle was driving me nuts, so I added another ring of tape and an end cap.

It'd be nice to get it perfect, but for the negligible amount of time spent, and a total cost of $0.00, I'm pretty happy with it. :cool

Thanks. I'm thinking that to get it right I'll need to grind out some of the interior stops, and add some exterior tubes like you said. The plain look of the handle was driving me nuts, so I added another ring of tape and an end cap.

It'd be nice to get it perfect, but for the negligible amount of time spent, and a total cost of $0.00, I'm pretty happy with it. :cool

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the handle is ever really seen so it could well be a plain tube and probably was. That's the danger of seeing inaccurate made up versions with fancy ridges and stripes all these years when, as NTBBCPD has said, the truth can be a bit boring.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the handle is ever really seen so it could well be a plain tube and probably was. That's the danger of seeing inaccurate made up versions with fancy ridges and stripes all these years when, as NTBBCPD has said, the truth can be a bit boring.

Oh, you're absolutely correct, and yeah, as I was applying the extra band of green I knew I was over decorating due to seeing previous attempts. The beauty of this prop is though, when I pick up more tubes and start revising the design, I can just pull the electrical tape off. But for now, it gives it a more balanced look on the wall, y'know?

I'm not correcting you... just adding info.

I put the green band and incuts on my drawing because of these screen caps I took from the DVD.

I could see that there was something causing several dark areas: one that looked the same as the bands at the oher end and two small lines/cuts (or it could be the edges of one wider cut).

As we may never see the original, this prop will always be open to personalization. At least we're now closer.

Last edited:
That looks to me like they put a larger diameter tube on the handle end which wasn't quite long enough to cover the inner tube so what you could be seeing is possibly the last inch or so of the inner narrower diameter tube poking out. Just a theory.

(I don't really keep them in the chest, I just did that for Waz's benefit XD)

:lol Thanks. :thumbsup

There's also this which may or may not have had something to do with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcohxqDwPCU

The Beeb was known for keeping a junkpile of recyclable props and bits. Maybe the hypno-mirror lighted thingy was used as parts for the Romana or maybe it wasn't. The one does remind me of the other a bit though.

Last edited:

Thank you,

The conversation with JNT took place while I was showing him the inside working of my K-9 he remarked that everything(controls, Radio transmitters, etc) had gotten so small and that the show prop was packed. As I was putting the case back on K-9 he tapped the tail and remarked that the Romana's sonic was made of one of these things. Maybe he thought my K-9 tail was a telescopic tool, or that the sonic was an antenna.

So JNT was wrong about what it was. Do you see now why I wanted evidence of this claim? JNT wasn't even right about it, and he passed on bad information to you if your story is accurate, and then you passed on that same bad information. Actors, directors, writers, they frequently don't know much about the props they work with. Until verification of the original object found and shown, don't believe what they say.

Sorry to see all the drama over Romana's sonic, but since we are doing a Romana costume for our little girl its nice to have a starting point for making on for her.

So JNT was wrong about what it was. Do you see now why I wanted evidence of this claim? JNT wasn't even right about it, and he passed on bad information to you if your story is accurate, and then you passed on that same bad information. Actors, directors, writers, they frequently don't know much about the props they work with. Until verification of the original object found and shown, don't believe what they say.

A long time ago David Prowse ,the actor who played the body of darth vader in starwars was 100% sure that the Vader helmet was only painted black........which we all know now was totally wrong.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back