Romana's classic sonic build

Rassilon

Now with all this talk about Romana’s sonic screwdriver going on and not much building there off. :confused

I had some spear time why’ll the CNC was churning out parts to my other build the custom Tennant Sonic,:) I used the spair time to productively, by getting on the manual lathe and started turning one out.:rolleyes

I first started with the sonic grip as I had very little to go on I just thought I would make that part look like the Bakers sonic Mk III grip but make it look a bit girl ish, I used 6061-T6 aluminium as I do on all my projects as it has the required turning properties and you get a better finish.

By the time I had gotten this for, it was very late at night and the grip was 95% complete only have to thread the end of the grip with an M8 Die.

Sleeve still needs an M8 tap in the end that will screw onto the grip and an M6 at the tip that will hold the secondary, spacer and third stage rings on, but that will be tomorrow nights work.

Very nice interpretation. Even if it turns out to not be all that accurate to the screen used prop it still will look like a really cool custom sonic.

Thanks Phez yeah I thought the same thing,,,, been Tom Bakers assistant and all.

I managed to get the two section to gether and did not have any colored rod anywhere so I used aluminum bronze instead as this is just a prototype anyhow.

I think on the next one I will use the rite colored acrylic rod, this was a very simple build and it was a lot more enjoyable to make as it has no complicated parts to it just straight turning in the lathe.

For the end I will call into a craft shop and see what they have, if they don't have anything good will make my own.

Now that I have all but completed this sonic, I now will make it complicated by making the sleeve part slide like the Mk III Baker sonic what ya think should I complicate the Romana's Sonic, or just leave it as it is, I will let the forum decide that fate.

Last edited:
I think it doesn't need moving parts. Romana would be slick enough to have made it touch surface control sensitive and look cute and innocent all at the same time. You guys are right about the slant a the end as it does make sense for grip purposes.

Someone mentioned it to me, could not quite recall whom, it’s a bit hazy who mentioned it (Straker) and I could not stop thinking about how to go about making the Romana’s Sonic into a sliding sonic.

So correct me if I’m wrong, but this would be a first for theprf.com to made the sonic into a slider like the Bakers Mk III Sonic.

Well before I have even completed a the prototype, I have started on the next one, made the romana’s Sonic into a slider, Yes I no leave it as it is, but I had to do it, for my own challenge, so have about 85% complete and will finish it of tonight and get some pic’s posted ASAP.

Have used to same design principle as the Baker Sonic uses, the same spring, and the same 4.75 mm shaft though the centre, and held in place by a stainless steel 10-32 unf grub screw.

Have given the new design the name of: Rassilon’s Romana’s Sonic how’s that sound

Did not take any manufacturing pic’s as did not have time to stop and take some, had to get this at a stage were.
I could finish it of quickly, as I have no more time to spent on this project at present, as all my parts for the A.D.O.S Dalek that I’m building are now complete and I will be spending most of my time on that project until January 2012.

Someone mentioned it to me, could not quite recall whom, it’s a bit hazy who mentioned it (Straker) and I could not stop thinking about how to go about making the Romana’s Sonic into a sliding sonic.

So correct me if I’m wrong, but this would be a first for theprf.com to made the sonic into a slider like the Bakers Mk III Sonic.

Well before I have even completed a the prototype, I have started on the next one, made the romana’s Sonic into a slider, Yes I no leave it as it is, but I had to do it, for my own challenge, so have about 85% complete and will finish it of tonight and get some pic’s posted ASAP.

Have used to same design principle as the Baker Sonic uses, the same spring, and the same 4.75 mm shaft though the centre, and held in place by a stainless steel 10-32 unf grub screw.

Have given the new design the name of: Rassilon’s Romana’s Sonic how’s that sound

Did not take any manufacturing pic’s as did not have time to stop and take some, had to get this at a stage were.
I could finish it of quickly, as I have no more time to spent on this project at present, as all my parts for the A.D.O.S Dalek that I’m building are now complete and I will be spending most of my time on that project until January 2012.

Oh that's right, blame me XD Actually I take full responsibility and await seeing what turns out. ^_^ I like the idea of Romanas sonic having some moving parts myself and really, we don't know much about the real prop anyway so I say go for it. ^_^

Well I can't blame myself, I never do wrong:rolleyes :confused

Ok here are the pic's next to the first Baker sonic I had ever built
the sliding action is not as smooth at the Baker sonic, and that's due to not been abell to polish the inside of the grip.

I think this will be a one off,,,,,,,, as it is to fidely to make, :cry

But they are now both now at 90% finished, so they will have to stay like that till I get some free time later on next year. 2012

Last edited:
Thanks for all your support fellow sonic who addicts.

If I can get enough interested from members wonting a Romana’s Sonic
(non sliding version) I will look into doing a pre run model. Up until now, I have just been playing around with the design to see what I could come up with, and what it takes to build one and how long it takes.

So if I can get enough members interested I will post a pre production model, as a Kit or as a completed assembled sonic.

Last edited:
Very nice, Id love to add one of your pieces to my small but growing Sonic collection :)
Count me in as well...

Kit please.

Sorry guys have not forgotten about this build, been of killing dragons & Trolls,, have made a pre production version for you all to have a look at, has been sitting on my office desk, still looking for coloured acrylic rod, shipping is more than the sonic, but working on an alternative.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back