Romana's classic sonic build

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Rassilon, Nov 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rassilon

Rassilon Well-Known Member

Now with all this talk about Romana’s sonic screwdriver going on and not much building there off. :confused

I had some spear time why’ll the CNC was churning out parts to my other build the custom Tennant Sonic,:) I used the spair time to productively, by getting on the manual lathe and started turning one out.:rolleyes

I first started with the sonic grip as I had very little to go on I just thought I would make that part look like the Bakers sonic Mk III grip but make it look a bit girl ish, I used 6061-T6 aluminium as I do on all my projects as it has the required turning properties and you get a better finish.

By the time I had gotten this for, it was very late at night and the grip was 95% complete only have to thread the end of the grip with an M8 Die.

Sleeve still needs an M8 tap in the end that will screw onto the grip and an M6 at the tip that will hold the secondary, spacer and third stage rings on, but that will be tomorrow nights work.

2. Straker

Straker Well-Known Member

Looking really nice! Not too many people have attempted a Romana sonic.

3. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Very nice interpretation. Even if it turns out to not be all that accurate to the screen used prop it still will look like a really cool custom sonic.

4. phez

phez Sr Member

I like the Baker style slant you put on the bottom. It makes sense that could be there.

5. Rassilon

Thanks Phez yeah I thought the same thing,,,, been Tom Bakers assistant and all.

I managed to get the two section to gether and did not have any colored rod anywhere so I used aluminum bronze instead as this is just a prototype anyhow.

I think on the next one I will use the rite colored acrylic rod, this was a very simple build and it was a lot more enjoyable to make as it has no complicated parts to it just straight turning in the lathe.

For the end I will call into a craft shop and see what they have, if they don't have anything good will make my own.

Now that I have all but completed this sonic, I now will make it complicated by making the sleeve part slide like the Mk III Baker sonic what ya think should I complicate the Romana's Sonic, or just leave it as it is, I will let the forum decide that fate.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  6. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

I think it doesn't need moving parts. Romana would be slick enough to have made it touch surface control sensitive and look cute and innocent all at the same time. You guys are right about the slant a the end as it does make sense for grip purposes.

7. Rassilon

Someone mentioned it to me, could not quite recall whom, it’s a bit hazy who mentioned it (Straker) and I could not stop thinking about how to go about making the Romana’s Sonic into a sliding sonic.

So correct me if I’m wrong, but this would be a first for theprf.com to made the sonic into a slider like the Bakers Mk III Sonic.

Well before I have even completed a the prototype, I have started on the next one, made the romana’s Sonic into a slider, Yes I no leave it as it is, but I had to do it, for my own challenge, so have about 85% complete and will finish it of tonight and get some pic’s posted ASAP.

Have used to same design principle as the Baker Sonic uses, the same spring, and the same 4.75 mm shaft though the centre, and held in place by a stainless steel 10-32 unf grub screw.

Have given the new design the name of: Rassilon’s Romana’s Sonic how’s that sound

Did not take any manufacturing pic’s as did not have time to stop and take some, had to get this at a stage were.
    I could finish it of quickly, as I have no more time to spent on this project at present, as all my parts for the A.D.O.S Dalek that I’m building are now complete and I will be spending most of my time on that project until January 2012.

8. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Malarky. You were probably all sorts of excited and childlike with glee at doing this that you probably didn't think to stop to get the camera. :lol

9. Straker

Oh that's right, blame me XD Actually I take full responsibility and await seeing what turns out. ^_^ I like the idea of Romanas sonic having some moving parts myself and really, we don't know much about the real prop anyway so I say go for it. ^_^

10. Rassilon

Well I can't blame myself, I never do wrong:rolleyes :confused

Ok here are the pic's next to the first Baker sonic I had ever built
    the sliding action is not as smooth at the Baker sonic, and that's due to not been abell to polish the inside of the grip.

I think this will be a one off,,,,,,,, as it is to fidely to make, :cry

But they are now both now at 90% finished, so they will have to stay like that till I get some free time later on next year. 2012

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  11. Straker

I like it!

12. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Seconded! That's pretty damned awesome!

13. TheValeyard

TheValeyard New Member

I've only ever seen static versions of the Romana Sonic, so it's really cool to see a sliding model. Cool stuff!

14. Rassilon

Thanks for all your support fellow sonic who addicts.

If I can get enough interested from members wonting a Romana’s Sonic
    (non sliding version) I will look into doing a pre run model. Up until now, I have just been playing around with the design to see what I could come up with, and what it takes to build one and how long it takes.

So if I can get enough members interested I will post a pre production model, as a Kit or as a completed assembled sonic.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  15. kursosawa

kursosawa Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

you can count me as interested!

16. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Very nice, Id love to add one of your pieces to my small but growing Sonic collection :)
    Count me in as well...

Kit please.

17. The Next Doctor

The Next Doctor Well-Known Member

I need this sonic, so I am interested in any form.

18. Straker

Well, I'm in if you make a run. I'd be in for a slider as well if you can swing it.

19. Rassilon

Sorry guys have not forgotten about this build, been of killing dragons & Trolls,, have made a pre production version for you all to have a look at, has been sitting on my office desk, still looking for coloured acrylic rod, shipping is more than the sonic, but working on an alternative.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  20. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

21. karstva

karstva Well-Known Member

Awesome, watching this thread for addtion to my Sonic collection.

22. Rassilon

23. Straker

Ummm, I would but I'm kinda holding out for if or when you can do the slider type. XD

24. Bluebox303

Bluebox303 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

seems interesting! I'm, not one for the classic series but I still like the workmanship on this project!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  25. Rassilon

Thanks, I do have workshop manufacturing drawings for my interpretation of this sonic if you would like them, as I have no plans on doing any runs of this sonic, as I think Russrep produces an excellent version of this sonic. Just PM me your email.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  26. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Rats, I was hoping to add one of these to my collection too.

27. Rassilon

I just don’t think I could get them as good as Russrep’s version, I did send him all my CAD drawing that I had of the Romana’s sonic to help out.

If anyone has a Russrep Romana sonic, could they post some pic’s here as a reference, also if anyone would like my prototypes that I made, as I no longer need them they can PM me with an offer to take them of my hands if they so like, please note that they are only 80% complete and do require further work to finish them off.

28. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Guys, there are many theories about the Romana Sonic prop from the series, how it was made, what was it made from, etc.

Awhile back, I stumbled on the answer on another corner of the internet and it will really surprise you how much people have been overthinking this one.

It was made with a FOUND OBJECT with COLORED TAPE applied.

The object was....

wait for it...

a telescoping hand tool similar to this...

[​IMG]

...with the actual "tool" on the end removed, extended out to a certain length, and then bands of colored tape were added on here and there to dress it up! :cool

The only trick now is figuring out the correct make and model of extending tool, which gets tricky some 35-40 years on from when those episodes were filmed. But it would have to have been a model that was available in the UK at the time when the episodes were filmed. And given the way the BBC Props Department did things, it may have been sitting in a box of random props left over from some other BBC production, as was the case with the Doctor's own Sonic Screwdriver that was used by Doctors 3-5 (that began life as a prop seen in a Thunderbirds movie in the late '60s or early '70s, and in that production, it was ALSO a screwdriver.) ;) :thumbsup

29. Bluebox303

Just like how the baker was a chirp whatever xD

30. Straker

The Baker sonic wasn't a Chiropractic Activator. We already did that research to death and it's impossible for it to be one.

31. Bluebox303

Oh. Whatever. :l

32. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wasn't it revealed that it was the antennae from an old walkie talkie? I remember a thread a couple years ago on it. I believe they even had the right model.

33. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Very possible, as that would have the same telescoping design. I never saw any of the threads about it, just found a post on a blog about it... the correct model was never identified in what I read.

34. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

So, to get a replica or her sonic, people spend a $100.00 or more to make a replica of a $4.00 tool?

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol........Sorry.......:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol....no...realy, i'm sorry.......:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol.....ok....i'm ok........sorry........:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

35. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

Not me. :D

[​IMG]

36. Bluebox303

37. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

Yes indeed. Worked a treat too, though I may machine one yet. We'll see.

38. kristen jones

kristen jones Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

PM sent!

39. Rassilon

PM sent, 3 weeks late but I got onto it,