Rohirrim Shields - Lord of the Rings WIP - First one finished. A few more pics!

Re: Rohirrim Shields - Lord of the Rings WIP - First one finished.

The construction of real shields varied in relation as to how much money was spent on them, most were glued and then crossed with iron bars across the grain on the reverse, the more expensive ones have the leather covering to hold the boards together. On the whole though, these shields were pretty much disposable. Leather or no leahter, they were usually destroyed during battle, then the metal work was gathered up by the victors and recycled into new shields with replacement boards.

I think there is evidence of shields being made by laminating crossed thinner planks, just like plywood is now. But on the whole, they had to be fairly light to be able to be used effectivly.

Now THAT is cool, and worthy of dreaming of... well done :D

Thanks again guys, I'm glad you like it! I'm now searching for a bargin (or reasonable) piece of leather to use for the big Royal Guard Shield. It's just going to have to wait until I get lucky I think. I was looking through some reference images again last night, and now I've got a bit of a craving to make a Rohan spearhead too, there are just so many beautiful designs in these films.

My sis has just finished up her custom Rohan style dress, so we quickly took some pics this morning. I threw the shield in her hands, but, alas I don't have a Rohirrim sword yet, that'll have to wait a little longer.

NorseDress05.jpg

NorseDress03.jpg

I hope this gives a better sense of the overall size.

Ta!

Hi man

Just wondering what you used to clamp the boards together, building one of these myself but not sure what method to use

Cheers :)

Hi man

Just wondering what you used to clamp the boards together, building one of these myself but not sure what method to use

Cheers :)

Hey, good to hear your making one too. Be sure to post some photos once your finished, it's always good to see another take on a project. When gluing, I strapped the boards together using two webbing frame clamps, just like these They open up large enough, and have a tightening adjustment. Great for framing, but also good for making shields! Once it was glued, I then screwed and glued the strip onto the reverse to make sure it all stayed together. If you don't have, or don't want to buy the clamps, then you can always just use rope, tied round the boards, then tightened up by spinning a screwdriver round and round the rope to make it tight.

Fantastic work!

Thanks, this is from a while ago, but still a fun build. I'd like to do another some time

Thanks for the heads up :) managed to ID them yesterday and picked a pair up. Left them overnight but sadly only half took so will be repeating the process on the loose boards today while working on the boss and deliberating what style axe I want to make to accompany it

The shield is amazing! Is there any way I can get your measurements for it? I'd love to make one for myself!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back