Rohirrim Shields - Lord of the Rings WIP - First one finished. A few more pics!

Pete SSS

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

I realise that there aren't many people who are still enthusiastic about LOTR these days, but I still love it. Everytime I watch it, I want to build something from it. Ever since The Two Towers came out, I've wanted to start on a set of Rohirrim armour, possibly the Royal Guard set, but I really fancy having a go at Theoden's stunning costume. Anyway, that's a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, one step at a time!

I really fancy having a Rohan shield on the wall, so I set about gathering reference, and came across some great shots of a Royal guard shield, complete with measurments

20-09-09-image.jpg

shield6.jpg

I wanted to start with the Boss. As far as I can tell, it seems like there were 4 or 5 different shield boss designs, that were then used over and over on different shields. I decided to use this excellent reference to sculpt and make a fibreglass boss based on the Royal Guard pics.

I started with a 6mm MDF disc, onto which I hot glued just under half of a poly sphere. I then used some screwcap washers to start the raised details running around the rim. Once they were in place, I started to sculpt the details (sorry about the focus!)

01.jpg

I used some paracord around the edge, to create the lip, sculpted all the details, then built up a little wall to contain the first, thin pour of silicone.

02.jpg

I didn't take a pic I'm afraid, but the next stage was to pour some regular silicon onto the sculpt, and let it cure in a really thin layer. Then I went over that with a second and then third layer of the same rubber, but thickened with a thixotropic, so that it could be brushed onto the sculpt and stay in place.

Next came the fibreglass jacket for the mould

03.jpg

Once that was all cured, I trimmed the edges to clean it up a bit, then de-moulded the sculpt. Then layered up some gelcoat and fibreglass into the silicon.

04.jpg

Here's the first pull from the mould

06.jpg

I cleaned up the edge, then drilled the rivet holes which would attach it to the shield later on. Then gave it a coat of primer.

07.jpg

I then sprayed it black, then gave it a rough coat of ochre coloured acrylic, using a brush, to rough up the texture a bit. Then applied a gaudy layer of Gold Leaf.

08.jpg

Once that was all finished, I washed it with a bit of Khaki acrylic to kill off that crazy shine

09.jpg

010.jpg

This is where it is a the moment. I'll weather and work it a bit more, but only when it's in place on the wooden shield, to make sure it all blend together properly.

I currently have some douglas fir boards gluing together in the workshop, so look out for an update some time next week.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: Rohirrim Shields - Lord of the Rings WIP

Pretty cool... I always wanted a Gondor shield for my collection, maybe I try to make one one day...

That is breathtaking. :love Really, really beautiful job. :) Your weathering is top notch, looks just like it!!

Thanks for your commments guys!

I do plan on making a replica of the green Royal Guard shield eventually, but this first boss is going to go on a simple, painted timber shield. The main reason for this is that I didn't have quite enough scrap wood to make a large enough circle, and I really can't justify buying a whole leather hide to cover the shield with just yet!

So, initially I'm going to make something similar to the "Rohirrim Plainsman Shield" or to "Eowyn's Shield" shown at the bottom of this poster.

lotrpostershieldslrg2.jpg

Once this one it done, I'll spend some time sculpting and moulding the rest of the "brass" sun-burst details from the Royal Guard shield and go from there.

That looks absolutely fantastic. I love seeing the LOTR props. Just wait until the Hobbit comes out, then we'll see tons of new builds. :D

Very nice work indeed , looks very realistic , just see you are in bucks !! me too I'm near high wycombe :eek:)

Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished. You going to offer up parts in the Junk Yard for us DIY'ers?

That looks absolutely fantastic. I love seeing the LOTR props. Just wait until the Hobbit comes out, then we'll see tons of new builds. :D

I honestly can't wait to see what Weta come up with for the Hobbit, very excited!

Very nice work indeed , looks very realistic , just see you are in bucks !! me too I'm near high wycombe :eek:)

Thanks, my aunt lives in High Wycombe, I'm further north, right on the borders with Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire

Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished. You going to offer up parts in the Junk Yard for us DIY'ers?

It'll be easy enough to offer some casts I hope, it may be a while yet though untill all the pieces for the Royal guard shield are ready!

I've pretty much finished my first "plainsman" shield, it just needs some leather on the grip and a strap, i'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.
night all!

Hot damn, that's nice work. Can't wait to see you tackle one of the leather ones, if you do. The basic one itself will be a damn nice thing to have on a wall though as you say!

Thanks again guys, it's been a nice project to play with. I've finished the first one now, but I'am afraid pics will have to wait another day, I found an injured dog in the road this afternoon, so had to spend the rest of the day finding her owner instead of taking photos of shields!

I've painted this one up with the same design as Eowyn has on her shield with the twin horse heads.

OK, here are a few more WIP shots for the rest of the shield.

First up, the Douglas Fir boards all cut, glued and strapped together. These planks were already very old, reclaimed from some building site or other, so they have a really nice depth to them. Nice and weathered

DSC02282.jpg

Then I used the age old circle drawing trick of "Nail, string and pencil"

DSC02283.jpg

Then I used and bandsaw on the exterior circle, and a jigsaw on the interior. You can really see the ramdom nature of the boards in this shot

DSC02285.jpg

Then a quick undercoat of green acrylic (the boss is just sitting in place)

DSC02287.jpg

Then a much nicer green for the top coat, with the white horses painted over the top.

DSC02291.jpg

Then a nice filthy coat of dark stained wax to plug all those knots and seams with "years" of grime.

DSC02292.jpg

And here are some photos of the finished shield. The handle on the rear is made from ply, then the grip is covered with leather. I do have a steel strip somewhere in the workshop, that would be perfect for a handle, but I want to save that for the leather covered shield I hope to get done.

RohirrimShield01.jpg

RohirrimShield02.jpg

RohirrimShield03.jpg

RohirrimShield04.jpg

RohirrimShield05.jpg

Once all the pieces were fit together, it had another coat of wax, then I beat it up a little with a hatchet and a chisel around the edges to get a little of the timber to show through the paint. I could probably go a little further with the weathering, but I think I'm going to leave it alone for now.

I also want to attach a leather strap to it when I come across a suitable one, but for now, it's hanging on the wall, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Re: Rohirrim Shields - Lord of the Rings WIP - First one finished.

That looks awesome! The stained wax really weathered it nicely. Not that you're going to go out and fight any orcs or vikings with it, but how sturdy is the glue method for holding the boards together? How did they strengthen the real shields back in the middle ages?

Re: Rohirrim Shields - Lord of the Rings WIP - First one finished.

That looks awesome! The stained wax really weathered it nicely. Not that you're going to go out and fight any orcs or vikings with it, but how sturdy is the glue method for holding the boards together? How did they strengthen the real shields back in the middle ages?

I think they used tongue-in-groove, along with strapping, but I'm not 100% sure.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back