Rohan-esque Armor and the Wife in Armor

Tristan71

Hello, again. I started making this armor about two years ago, and finally finished it off last year. I always thought it looked sort of like some of the Rohan armor from LOTR...so I added a dark costume under it, a cloak over it, and this is how it turned out. I plan on wearing this to D*C. I know it is not an exact replica, that is why I called it "-esque". Comments, critiques, or questions?
Has anyone else built anything like this? I have seen the Elven armor (very nice stuff.), but not much on the other armor styles.

Thanks for looking.

Tristan

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...woff/Rohan2.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...WeaponDrawn.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...woff/Rohan1.jpg

I only have one critique. I would weather it a bit. It has that "virginal" armor look to it right now, like it hasn't seen battle. Other than that, it is an amazing example of armor work.

<div class='quotetop'>(Qui-Gonzalez @ Aug 11 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]1298337[/snapback]</div>
I only have one critique. I would weather it a bit. It has that "virginal" armor look to it right now, like it hasn't seen battle. Other than that, it is an amazing example of armor work.
[/b]

Thanks. The funny thing is I took extra time to polish each of the plates so they wouldn't rust or tarnish too much...seems I overdid it a bit? :)

I am usually a huge weathering fan, but I like it like this. I noticed that it doesn't gleam WITH the flash of your camera, so I take it its not that polished under normal lighting conditions.

I vote keep it . great work .

<div class='quotetop'>(Got Maul @ Aug 11 2006, 12:13 PM) [snapback]1298427[/snapback]</div>
I am usually a huge weathering fan, but I like it like this. I noticed that it doesn't gleam WITH the flash of your camera, so I take it its not that polished under normal lighting conditions.

I vote keep it . great work .
[/b]

Thank you. No, I did not put a mirror polish on the steel plates...the copper ones, yes, but only because I could :D
Overall, it's about as shiny as you see in the photos. As an armorer, I had a problem in the past with steel rusting quickly down here (Alabama). This is a closer photo, the plates are in a bit more detail here:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...anEvilSmile.jpg

For comparison, I am also posting a link to some pictures of the wife in her new armor...this one I did endeavour to make as shiny as possible...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...lArmorFront.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/tri...metOffSmile.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>(SmilingOtter @ Aug 11 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1298494[/snapback]</div>
Very nice, both sets. Did you make the scales yourself, and if so, how, or acquire them, and if so, where?
[/b]

I made the scales myself out of 18-16 gauge cold and hot rolled steel (basically cut them from scrap created from other armoring projects) using shears, jigsaws, files, teeth...whatever would cut them. :D
Seriously, I created a template out of 14 gauge steel and cut the plates to that pattern. I used a bench grinder and belt sander to shape and smooth the plates, and used a cold chisel over a steel form to make the ridges. I drilled holes, then used a buffing wheel on the bench grinder with a coarse compound (the green one) to polish the steel. The copper plates were made roughly the same way, except that I use jewler's rouge to polish them. The backing is garment-weight leather (4-6oz), and the plates are stitched on using waxed linen (or something similar...you can get waxed thread at any craft store).

Hope that answers the question? If not, feel free to ask more.

Wow. :eek It is rather Rohan-esque and an amazing example of beautiful armor. I'm very impressed with the overall look of the armor, and even more in awe at all the work you must have put into it. Great job..

Yay. A fellow armor and weapons fan from Alabama. Nice job on the armor (The Sting-like sword is a nice touch too ;) ). I must agree that is is a little too shiny for the Rohan, but it does give your armor a sense of uniqueness. How did you do the chain mail and plate armor? I'm asking because I've been wanting to build my own armor and weapons for myself and friends and I am a complete newbie when it comes to the stuff (my only projects are a failed composite recurved longbow that needs a new "arm" since it broke this morning, and a flail made from a cinderblock and ropes that broke as well :cry ).

Again, excelent job and keep up the good work.

Seth

Thank you for the comments.
That Sting-like dagger was purchased at the Atlanta Ren Faire, and I did not realize they had used the same blade (only cut differently) until I got home. Thought it would be fitting for that armor.

I've been armoring since about 1989 or so...mostly self-taught with a few workshops here and there. I learned the mail making by buying pre-cut links and playing with them until I got it right. It's not all that hard, but it is a time-consuming hobby.
I am lucky enough to have a house that has a half-unfinished basement, so I set up the "Armory" in there...lots of tools, tree trunks, and sheet steel. The plate armor took time to build up to skill-wise, and I am still not much more than an intermediate armorer, but I enjoy what I am doing, research pieces to make, and I think they look good when I am done. That is what is important, right? Satisfaction in the building of a project?

I can't really give a detailed description of how I built the armor without boring everyone to tears, so the quick version is a bit funny: cut a piece of steel to the rough shape you need, bang the hell out of it until it fits right, cut off the pieces you don't need, then polish it until you can see your face. :D

If you want more details, I love talking about armor...PM me if you'd like.

Shadow Duchess, thank you. I agree with you...it's difficult finding armor for females; and even more difficult to build it. :) But the end product made the wife very happy, and it looks good on her to boot, so we both won that on.

<div class='quotetop'>(Tristan71 @ Aug 13 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]1299720[/snapback]</div>
Thank you for the comments.
That Sting-like dagger was purchased at the Atlanta Ren Faire, and I did not realize they had used the same blade (only cut differently) until I got home. Thought it would be fitting for that armor.

I've been armoring since about 1989 or so...mostly self-taught with a few workshops here and there. I learned the mail making by buying pre-cut links and playing with them until I got it right. It's not all that hard, but it is a time-consuming hobby.
I am lucky enough to have a house that has a half-unfinished basement, so I set up the "Armory" in there...lots of tools, tree trunks, and sheet steel. The plate armor took time to build up to skill-wise, and I am still not much more than an intermediate armorer, but I enjoy what I am doing, research pieces to make, and I think they look good when I am done. That is what is important, right? Satisfaction in the building of a project?

I can't really give a detailed description of how I built the armor without boring everyone to tears, so the quick version is a bit funny: cut a piece of steel to the rough shape you need, bang the hell out of it until it fits right, cut off the pieces you don't need, then polish it until you can see your face. :D

If you want more details, I love talking about armor...PM me if you'd like.

Shadow Duchess, thank you. I agree with you...it's difficult finding armor for females; and even more difficult to build it. :) But the end product made the wife very happy, and it looks good on her to boot, so we both won that on.
[/b]

You're more than welcome.
I'm sure you won't bore us to tears with an explanation as some of us would find it educational but, that's your discretion.
Absolutely, as many women don't wear armor, or are dissuaded because of the lack of it available.
Shaping it must be a bear so, you've done a great job and you must have patience.
Thank you for sharing, and I know I'm not the only one who looks forward to more of your work.
:)

<div class='quotetop'></div>
You're more than welcome.
I'm sure you won't bore us to tears with an explanation as some of us would find it educational but, that's your discretion.
Absolutely, as many women don't wear armor, or are dissuaded because of the lack of it available.
Shaping it must be a bear so, you've done a great job and you must have patience.
Thank you for sharing, and I know I'm not the only one who looks forward to more of your work.
:)
[/b]

Thank you again for your comments.
The shaping was not all that bad, but it was significantly different from making a male breastplate. I am eventually planning on making more, but it may be a few months before I take on another project like that. :D

Tristan

Wow. Beautiful job on both sets of armor. I must say you look the part of a knight, too.

Great work. Thanks for sharing it with us. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ Aug 15 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]1300959[/snapback]</div>
Wow. Beautiful job on both sets of armor. I must say you look the part of a knight, too.

Great work. Thanks for sharing it with us. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
[/b]

Thank you for the comment. I'm glad to have a place to show off my creations.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back