Rogue One

It's not Biggs. Or, at least, it better not be. At the point this movie takes place, Biggs is just finishing up at the Outer Rim Merchantmarine Academy (or whatever it's called), and concocting plans with a couple friend to jump ship and try to hook up with the Rebels.

Unless they're flushing the Anchorhead scenes. I really hope they aren't. Yeah, they're deleted scenes and thus not actually canon, but still...

--Jonah

I wouldn't count on those scenes being canon, but we'll see I guess...

For what it's worth, the notion that that's what they're called is 100% EU. Given Luke, just after he joined the Alliance in ANH, and Han, where it is mentioned that, in the intervening years, he's joined, too, in ESB are wearing the same brown trousers with yellow "bloodstripes", I find it far likelier that that's part of the Alliance uniform, probably the pilots' uniforms. See a couple paragraphs below...

As for Han's blue-with-red from ANH, his backstory is presently in limbo again, but... *holds up a speculative finger* ...What if Han was a pilot -- but for whatever the Judicial Forces became (you know, the pilots of the Radiant VII in TPM, all the Senate Guards from TPM up through the end of ROTS, and even in The Force Unleashed). I hoestly was somewhat hopeful when the big canon announcement came down. Hopeful that we'd look newly at the original films to see what could be gleaned, and dispense with the "quiet dogmas of the past EU". Like maybe stop calling the guys on the Tantive IV "Rebel Fleet Troopers" or like that. If you're a member of the Imperial Senate and trying to keep your ties to the Rebellion on the down-low, you're not going to have uniformed Rebel troops on board. Makes far more sense to me that that's part of Leia's detachment of Senate Guards, in their undress uniforms. Like how the black-uniformed Imperial guys in the big kabuto helmets are Stormtroopers in garrison/dress uniform, rather than the shiny white battle-dress armor.

If a bunch of Leia's Rebel cell is made up of veterans and defectors from the early Impeial era, it makes sense to me that they'd have a lot of surplus uniforms and materiel from that period. After all, it's the Alliance to Restore the Republic. One of the area where I feel the Prequels really dropped the ball was the opportunity to show Republic pilots alongside the Clone army, in the orange flight suits, and with certain squadrons bearing the helmet markings we're so familiar with on here. I feel Captain Antilles was wearing the uniform of whatever the unarmed version of the Alderaanian Guard was. *heh* And that we never saw anyone ense in such a uniform because the planet went 'splodey.

So. Bloodstripes aren't necessarily Corellian. And those may or may not be earlier Imperial/Imperial Senate/Judicial Forces/whatever uniforms that the Alliance wears, either as a uniform or to infiltrate... but I'm leanin gmore towards "maybe are". Seems likely this is a clandestine op, especially given the slicer's Imperial jumpsuit. And would also mean Solo's parka was a remnant of his service, along with his trousers and ESB jacket. ;)

--Jonah

I wouldn't count on those scenes being canon, but we'll see I guess...

It's more that they're in the novelizations, too, which means they are unless contradicted later. Depends on how the Story Group feels about it. I'll admit it always struck me as odd, though, and one of the reasons I hate the OT's general not-showing-how-much-time-is-passing thing. How long were the droids wandering in the desert? How long was the trip to Mos Eisley? How long was the trip to Alderaan? How long were they on the Death Star? How long was the trip to Yavin? Cuz Biggs managed to make it back to the Academy, ship out on his freighter, jump ship with his friends, contact the Rebellion, and make it to Yavin, himself, all before Luke arrived.

--Jonah

Ahh... Except she wasn't dead, at that point in the story. ;) So should we borrow our step-brother's swoop and go looking for the old EU? Are you saying the EU might still be alive, against all odds, only to die in our arms? Is the Story Group that tribe of Sandpeople? I like most of them. I don't want to slaughter them with a lightsaber. :cry

--Jonah

Also they said they could bring EU characters into the new canon if they wanted. I just like the fact that they are showing that there are Imperial defectors in the Alliance. I don't know if I'd continue wearing my Imperial digs though! The only way we know that in the OT is from the cut scene of Biggs saying he's defecting to the Rebels.

The "Legends" are still available for the continuity team to pour from, if the so choose. It is not as if Lucasfilm hasn't in the past brought things from EU into Canon, some things that I thought that they would never use.

So. Bloodstripes aren't necessarily Corellian.
Who knows what the strips are in the new Canon. I have always found the idea of them being some kind of Corellian honorific pretty silly.
Lots of armies in the real world had stripes on their pants and Han was only wearing some army surplus stuff, like some many other people.
Captain Antilles had a black stripe. Leia, Ackbar, Lando each had a gold stripe in ROTJ.

I notice a lot of the gear seems to be related to or at least inspired by the Hoth trooper gear.
The Endor commandos in ROTJ did have the same back pack and blaster rifle as the Hoth troopers, or at least they were supposed to look the same.
The blaster rifle that Diego Luna is holding looks like a variation of the M16- based "A280" seen in ROTJ and the back pack can be clearly seen on the bottom right.

The man in the jumpsuit has like a scanning crew comm pad, but instead of a vacformed comm pad with only round decals, there are round greeblies and it looks like metal highlights.
Three "honey spoon" code cylinders and one dosimeter in the arm pocket, and two dosimeters in a frontpocket of his vest.

Last edited:
Also they said they could bring EU characters into the new canon if they wanted. I just like the fact that they are showing that there are Imperial defectors in the Alliance. I don't know if I'd continue wearing my Imperial digs though! The only way we know that in the OT is from the cut scene of Biggs saying he's defecting to the Rebels.
As I said, I don't know those are any of their actual uniforms. More likely some or all are wearing what's needed for infiltration.

And I'm surprised people are still saying Biggs defected from Imperial service. When he's talking to Luke, he says how the Empire is nationalizing trade in the core systems, it's only a matter of time until they turn their attention to the Rim, and he's not going wait to get drafted into Imperial service. His words.

--Jonah

Well it's a good guess. I don't think Biggs and Luke were all excited about going to the Academy to learn to pilot big freighters. They wanted to fly fighters. No where else to fly fighters, legally than the Empire. He says he's not joining the Empire and then he turns up as a Rebel pilot. So I'd say that's a good trail of events.

I have only seen the one spoiler picture for RO, the one from IMDB however everything looks in keeping with the ANH-ROTJ period including what appears to be a Hoth troopers uniform in the background (one of my favorite costumes from the series). I know there is a much wider SW universe & lots to draw from but the plot seems to indicate we may perhaps see the Bothan spies making an appearance? :D

Well it's a good guess. I don't think Biggs and Luke were all excited about going to the Academy to learn to pilot big freighters. They wanted to fly fighters. No where else to fly fighters, legally than the Empire. He says he's not joining the Empire and then he turns up as a Rebel pilot. So I'd say that's a good trail of events.

I think it more likely they just wanted off that rock. Earlier in that scene I just quoted, Luke is fussing over Biggs' nice new (very non-Imperial) uniform and Biggs says Luke is looking at the newly-commissioned second mate of the freighter Rand Ecliptic. He's not planning on bailing before he graduates. He didn't go involuntarily ("drafted"). Everything I get from that scene is that this particular "academy" is an Outer Rim merchantmarine academy (such things exist in the real world), he sees the writing on the wall, sees the Empire is expanding in their direction, and isn't going to sit there and wait for it. "Defect" would mean he'd already been in Imperial service and left. Different from bailing before they get to him.

I think I did read they were reusing a lot of TFA set dressing and such for budgetary reasons.
On the one hand, good business sense. On the other... LFL Has Disney's full backing on TFA. It seems silly they'd turn skinflints on this one... :behave

--Jonah

Yeah, who knows. My guess is the *really* big budget is being reserved for the Episodes...

You're probably correct... I'm hoping that those involved with the movie(s) are true fans and will sacrifice a little personal time to make an amazing movie!

You can see the back half of a blaster to the right of Donnie Yen. Looks to be a large pistol type like an DH-17 or maybe a small rifle like and E-11.

Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 10.41.48 PM.png

For a second there I thought Donnie Yen had a Boba Fett style gauntlet! It's not but I do see some similarities. Almost looks like there's a whipcord housing.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back