Rogue One Rebel trooper ID thread

Moreorless37

Hi all, I've been looking at the new Rogue One troopers, specifically this photo (The guy on the right)
rogue one trooper.jpg

There is already a thread on the helmet, and it appears to be a M1 helmet.
I believe I have also figured out a few other items

To me the ammo belt looks like a Chinese SKS ammo belt with the wood dowels removed
sks belt.jpg

The boots seem to be WWII US two buckle combat boots, with the laces hidden(?)
wwii boots.jpg

The vest looks like an old Vietnam era flak vest, but the collar and puffyness is wrong to my eye (as well as a few other details)

got a couple more reference pics from the new trailer!
R1 troopers.png
R1 troopers 2.png
so yes, that last pic is of Cassian Andor, however I believe that armor vest is the same as the other troopers' vests. And what I think we have there is a modified/redyed M69 Flack Vest
m69 flack vest.JPG
it seems pretty darn close. The collars of the two troopers on the left in the top pic gives it away to me as well

well we have another Rebel soldier!
View attachment 673537

so this guy's kit is quite a bit different than the other ones. first his BDUs. thanks to another website, the BDU has already been identified as the Russian GORKA-3
View attachment 673540

and the vest is a US Vietnam M79 grenadier vest
View attachment 673541

and the two pouches on his left (screen right) look to me to be US Vietnam vintage shotgun pouches *edit*(WRONG, Parts of SW has it right with the french 3-pocket grenade pouch)
View attachment 673542

Last edited:
hm.. don't know why those didn't post. I think I fixed it (I hope)
didn't now you guys had a facebook page, but you have just gotten a new like!

i think I've actually found something i want to make as my first cosplay...
Same here. I have my Anovos TK kit in the works, but Rebel-side, this might be it. With so many "found parts" (as opposed to TFA's high-tech designs) it shouldn't be too hard to put together, once everything is ID'd.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The consensus seems to be that most of the rebel suits are Russian Gorka 4 Bars brand Anorak (Pullover) BDU's. The Gorka 3's zip all the way down in the front while the 4 is a pullover with a kangaroo pouch.
The differences between what we've seen in pictures and the 4's seem to be in the coloration of the flap on the front, which is darker on most of the off-the-shelf 4's, and the length, which may be explained away by them being a few sizes larger on the actors than what soldiers would usually wear (some actors have rolled up sleeves, etc.) or they aren't tied off at the waist.
There are some available on Amazon but most are from Russia with ETA's right on or past the release date of Rogue One.
Has anyone been able to find a US based retailer for these? I'm looking for probably the biggest size they make.

I also haven't seen any talk about the belts. Specifically, the Topps card Vietnam looking guy.
1315599658471760_7911357525070183467_n_zpsz26nhvwm.jpg

And just for the heck of it, he is wearing what appears to be a black scrim / mesh scarf here. They are about $10 on Amazon.
topps-trading-cards-_-rebel-solider-06_zpsfnwwhqii.jpg

Last edited:
The consensus seems to be that most of the rebel suits are Russian Gorka 4-Bar Anorak (Pullover) BDU's. The 3-Bar Gorka's zip all the way down in the front while the 4-bar is a pullover with a kangaroo pouch.
The differences between what we've seen in pictures and the 4-Bar's seem to be in the coloration of the flap on the front, which is darker on most of the off-the-shelf 4-Bar's, and the length, which may be explained away by them being a few sizes larger on the actors than what soldiers would usually wear (some actors have rolled up sleeves, etc.) or they aren't tied off at the waist.
There are some available on Amazon but most are from Russia with ETA's right on or past the release date of Rogue One.
Has anyone been able to find a US based retailer for these? I'm looking for probably the biggest size they make.

I also haven't seen any talk about the belts. Specifically, the Topps card Vietnam looking guy.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/...8471760_7911357525070183467_n_zpsz26nhvwm.jpg

And just for the heck of it, he is wearing what appears to be a black scrim / mesh scarf here. They are about $10 on Amazon.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/...ding-cards-_-rebel-solider-06_zpsfnwwhqii.jpg
The Gorka 4 looks spot on, if you don't take the color difference of the pocket flaps into account. Something I can live with. I suppose once the film and the inevitable books about it are out, identifying stuff will become easier. Things like the boots and pants at least.

The belt has been identified by others and is similar/same as one of the Cassian Andor belts. They can be found on ebay or google with searches using "military roll pin belt". There are at least three different styles; riggers, with square attachment rings, without rings, at least two different buckle colors, and multiple webbing colors. Make sure you check out multiple items to see the differences and select the style which best fits your requirements. I now have three belts and none of them are exactly what I wanted. These are British military unit style belts so the sources are likely in the UK.

British PLCE belts.
Worn reversed with the loops on the outside.
I read something about them being roll-pin belts. This is a british-issued MAC655 roll-pin PLCE belt, would that be it?

8325eaefd07a9d432d6e3dc0398399bd.jpg

EDIT: So, what we seem to have gathered this far (besides the Nam-era M1 helmet)

Russian Gorka-4 parka
0ac4e9b080a81b24877b37a16c7f2363.jpg

Black mesh scarf
07ce34f93d0e08793d45e3eabfc49bca.jpg

US M69 flak vest
48172c44b2c170cac3a8f4e07cd93f08.jpg

US 2-buckle Army Boots
bc6191555dc464be3b39968d246d3bb4.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back