Rogue One Rebel trooper ID thread

Silk Screened Puff Ink.

I just picked up some puff Paint to experiment with.

I think I read someone mention that somewhere, thanks. But HOW would said ink be applied, to look neat and tidy and correct? Is there a thread or guide somewhere?

Can anyone ID whether or not the soft covers have a comm unit flap on both sides or just the left? I've only seen R1 once and I can't tell from the Visual Dictionary. Here's where I'm at with mine:
Yc2jWvf.jpg

Ro3PkCu.jpg

kman there are some good tutorials on-line on how to do silk screen printing at home and there are some simple kits. For simple designs with a single color such as the sleeve rectangles it is not beyond the capability of the craftsman/artists on this thread. There are two issues which make it non-trival or at least non-standard; the sleeve panels are long and narrow, and the puffy additive to the printing ink requires heat to make the additive react and puff properly. The long narrow screen actually works for the craftsman type as making a special frame for this shape to fit a narrow squeegee (like used with bondo) and long, narrow stencil for a few "runs" might be possible. No fancy "positioning" rig is required. Using a heat gun instead of a UV heating element can work. I have run some tests doing the very small rectangles on Jyn's pants. But I need more practice for consistent results for a long panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
@kman there are some good tutorials on-line on how to do silk screen printing at home and there are some simple kits. For simple designs with a single color such as the sleeve rectangles it is not beyond the capability of the craftsman/artists on this thread. There are two issues which make it non-trival or at least non-standard; the sleeve panels are long and narrow, and the puffy additive to the printing ink requires heat to make the additive react and puff properly. The long narrow screen actually works for the craftsman type as making a special frame for this shape to fit a narrow squeegee (like used with bondo) and long, narrow stencil for a few "runs" might be possible. No fancy "positioning" rig is required. Using a heat gun instead of a UV heating element can work. I have run some tests doing the very small rectangles on Jyn's pants. But I need more practice for consistent results for a long panel.

If you figure it out, let me know if I can ship you a shirt and some cash. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I have finally come to terms that the boots are not to be found in the wild, I went about making my own as well:
View attachment 696193View attachment 696194View attachment 696195View attachment 696196

I drafted up a .PDF of my pattern if it can be of benefit to anyone else!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m72tvcryhejob67/RogueOneRebelSpats.pdf?dl=0
View attachment 696197

Wow! This is so cool and incredibly helpful! Thanks a lot!
Looks like these spats are identical on Bodhi's and Baze's boots, so they can be used for their costumes as well!

Technical question: were you able to sew the the spats onto your base-boots with a standard sewing-machine? Or did you glue on the completed spats?

btw. I will start producing another Batch of Caps in February. If you are interested shoot me a Message.
after watching R1 several times i could not seen any screen inaccuracies so far... except that they may have used a cheaper cloth instead of a water-proof one XD

il_fullxfull.1157964665_bpmw.jpg

I received my "Topps Guy" Grenade vest.I dyed it brown. Now how would I go and apply the yellow stripe on the pouches? And what kind of fabric paint should I use? Also what can I use to fill each sleeve on the vest? I was thinking toilet paper dowels? What do you think?

I received my "Topps Guy" Grenade vest.I dyed it brown. Now how would I go and apply the yellow stripe on the pouches? And what kind of fabric paint should I use? Also what can I use to fill each sleeve on the vest? I was thinking toilet paper dowels? What do you think?

I used regular spray paint, which can be weathered nicely, for the yellow. To fill the sleeves I used foam. (technically, strips of "pluck-n-foam" from some pelican storage cases I had customized the foam for, and saved the parts I had removed)

I used regular spray paint, which can be weathered nicely, for the yellow. To fill the sleeves I used foam. (technically, strips of "pluck-n-foam" from some pelican storage cases I had customized the foam for, and saved the parts I had removed)

Thanks man. Ill try it. Could any foam work? Like open cell foam?

Thanks man. Ill try it. Could any foam work? Like open cell foam?

Yup. Scrap foam that will end up squished into a roughly cylindrical shape by the structure of the pocket anyway. Nice and light, won't weigh you down. All you need is something so the pockets don't squish down flat and look empty... the precise nature of what you're filling them with is pretty irrelevant since you don't see the contents at all anyway. Heck, tear up some rags and stuff them in there if you want. I just had the foam on hand, and it seemed to work well.

One key thing I wanted for mine, was the filler had to be soft and lightweight, so the vest would be comfortable to wear, and comfortable to perform action in. (mine was specifically made for use in a fan film, so prone positions and rolls were a possibility, and I wanted to minimize anything hard jabbing into the body!)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back