Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

Will this work?

Attachments

• ammo box rubber seal.jpg
    ammo box rubber seal.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 243
MJF you have to be psyched, i know how much you experimented with rubber bands to find something close to match.

The seal totally makes sense. Don’t you love the part of prop hunting where you look at the item over and over and try to figure out what it is

And when it is finally discovered it’s so simple and makes total sense?!

It’s one of my favorite parts in this hobby, it’s such a great natural high

did anyone ever end up posting a pattern for the helmet cover? I'd like to make my own out of a different camo pattern than anyone is making and selling them as.

Maybe someone else can confirm but to me it looks like a Vietnam era shell and a ww2 era liner. If so, that liner won’t fit right and the actual helmet in the movie is ww2 era.

Bumping this thread because I finally started my build.

Found a Vietnam Era M1 helmet. What's odd is that the liner is dated 1969,but the shell of the helmet itself is fiberglass. The rivits holding it all together have a nice aged patina, making me think it's all from that time frame. I've never seen a fiberglass helmet like this. And it's not Kevlar, way too thin and light weight. Plus, I was issued a PASGT Kevlar bucket in Iraq, it's not the same.

Anyway, since it is nice and light, it'll be much easier to wear at a con versus a steel pot.

Using 2" painters tape, I made a template for the outer shell and transfered it to a sheet of foam core. I ended up using three piece and glued them together. Now I need to get some more Bondo and reinforce it all.

As for the cloth cover, I'm at a loss. My sewing skills are mediocre at best, and I have no sewing machine, so I do everything by hand. Don't really want to buy one off Etsy or the like, so I may just wing it.

Bumping this thread because I finally started my build.

Found a Vietnam Era M1 helmet. What's odd is that the liner is dated 1969,but the shell of the helmet itself is fiberglass. The rivits holding it all together have a nice aged patina, making me think it's all from that time frame. I've never seen a fiberglass helmet like this. And it's not Kevlar, way too thin and light weight. Plus, I was issued a PASGT Kevlar bucket in Iraq, it's not the same.

The liner may be real but my guess is that the shell is a reproduction (not that there is anything wrong with that for the purposes here). The M1 sheet was never not made from metal. M1 helmet - Wikipedia

The shell of the M1 was changed mainly in silhouette, as seen from the side, from its World War II beginnings.[citation needed] The second, and last, U.S. production run of about one million M1s during the mid 1960s, lowered (streamlined) the top forehead portion.[citation needed] The bulk of the helmet is constructed from a single piece of pressed hadfield manganese steel. The rim edge of the shell has a crimped metal band running around it, which provides a clean edge. This is usually known as the "rim". The metal band of the rim material has a seam where the ends of the strip meet. On the earliest shells the seam met at the front. This was moved to the back of the rim in 1944,[citation needed] when the rim went from being made of stainless steel to manganese steel.

Post some images.

Oh I assumed it was either a reproduction or a display piece.

I've got to check to see if the NSN is correct, but it's dated 14 April 1969. The print all looks correct.

Its definitely not anything new, the edges are frayed.
IMG_20190204_230229.jpg
IMG_20190204_230234.jpg
IMG_20190204_230246.jpg
IMG_20190204_230304.jpg

Oh I assumed it was either a reproduction or a display piece.

I've got to check to see if the NSN is correct, but it's dated 14 April 1969. The print all looks correct.

Its definitely not anything new, the edges are frayed. View attachment 985948 View attachment 985949 View attachment 985950 View attachment 985952

You have images of the fiberglass shell?

The other thing is that to the webbing suspension is made to be replaceable. Like this.... U.S MILITARY M1 HELMET SUSPENSION ASSEMBLY HELMET LINER SUSPENSION | eBay

I had to get webbing for mine because my liner did not have any when I bought it. So the webbing does not necessarily date your liner. In fact, from what it looks like, that liner looks to be a WW2 era.

Can you also post a photo of the liner inserted into the shell?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back