Rogue One Grand Moff Tarkin Tribute 1977

Re: Grand Moff Tarkin Tribute 1977

They left out the scene where he blows up Alderaan.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

I posted this because I loved seeing him again in R1, but disliked how they used CGI to recreate him. I'm sure they could have cast a similar looking person/actor with the closer voice over.

He was an old school English gentleman and a very talented actor.

How tall was Peter Cushing? In Rogue One it just seemed to me like he was towering over people. I am assuming they made him the correct height. Maybe it's just because in ANH he is mostly standing by Vader. Maybe that just gave me the impression of him not being so tall.

Unless prowse is slumping there he looks to be about 4-5" shorter than Prowse and Hamill is a bit in front, so 2-3" taller than Mark?

While I can appreciate and respect the feelings/reasons people had for not liking the digital Tarkin in Rogue One I have to say I thought it was wonderful! I've long enjoyed Peter Cushing, even before Star Wars, and I thought it was a great tribute to him for the production team to include the character at great length and expend as much care and dedication to the recreation that they did.

I was not aware of Guy Henry before Rogue One and recently saw a youtube video highlighting a rather ruthless character he plays on the show "Holby City" -- there were occasions where he absolutely radiates Cushing/Tarkin in that role. It is no wonder why they cast him in the part I think he's brilliant. He has a similar facial structure to Peter Cushing so that leaves me wondering, well, why didn't they just make him up and have a new actor as Tarkin? No different than any other situation where an actor has had to take over a role. I guess it comes down to the affection that the production team had for Peter Cushing and wanting to "see" him in the part one more time - a feeling that I absolutely share.

Were they successful? Well, that's one of those "your mileage may vary" questions and I can certainly understand why some could be offended by the decision or feel that it fell short but I liked it :)

Cheers,

Dave C

I thought Tarkin was a very nice surprise in Rogue One. I also think Guy Henry was the perfect choice for the role. I don't have any ethical issue with the CGI make up. Frankly, it felt more like a tribute to Cushing than anything else. Henry really does sound an awful lot like Cushing anyway. I even said as much to my wife, years back, the first time he spoke during the Harry Potter films.

I don't think practical makeup would have worked as well, but I always thought the actor they made up for the prequel cameo looked terrible.

His feet were over 12 inches, same here, finding boots that fit is still a pain in the, well feet :p
So I can totally relate with wearing boots that are too small, ouch.

I posted this because I loved seeing him again in R1, but disliked how they used CGI to recreate him. I'm sure they could have cast a similar looking person/actor with the closer voice over.

He was an old school English gentleman and a very talented actor.

Well I saw R1 again and I'm slowly warming to the CGI, the voice does nail it though;)

Although Guy Henry sounds a lot like Peter Cushing, his voice is more melodic and less menacing. Being familiar with GH from two series of Extras and Holby City (not me, the missus) he is instantly recognisable the moment he speaks. So when I see the face of PC my brain has to work hard not to separate the two of them.
...............and yeah, he did seem too tall. Perhaps they put all their efforts into the face and forgot to trim the legs. :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back