Rogue One: Diego Luna/Captain Cassian Andor Costume Research

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by TheSeekerOfTru7h, Aug 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheSeekerOfTru7h

TheSeekerOfTru7h New Member

So I'm going to make a valiant attempt at building Captain Andor's outfit for the release of the movie and I thought I'd start collecting ideas/photos/research now about it. Below are the photos I've accrued from the meager shots we have at the moment:

Aiming to do this outfit:
    [​IMG]

Coat: No idea where to begin with this, fjackets.com has a listing for the Andor coat, but I'm wary since they only have shots from the trailer.

Shirt: As has been previously reported elsewhere, the shirt style is very similar to the Han ESB shirt, though in more of a tan rather than white. Suggestions on patterns/templates/sources?
    Thinking about just getting the cotton twill version from here, since Magnoli's got color options ^^

Pants: Cargo pants? Though definitely not standard cargo pant material, also, from the shots, it looks like the lower leg pockets are fairly thin.

Boots: Boots were on display at the celebration, but all the photos I've seen of them basically show me that they're boots, with some form of leather spats with a fancy buckle on it.

Gun: Looks like at least the basis of this has already been hammered down here, of course, it's just working out the modifications to make it

Belt: Looks to be a tan/brown British PLCE webbing belt flipped inside out with the rolling pin buckle (thanks, lonepigeon!)

Looking for suggestions, best ideas, where to move from here, newbie to the whole costume building shenanigans :D

Imgur album with plethora of research photos

Edit (8/16):
    Belt added, shirt options added, theories regarding cargo pants

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

The pants belt looks like a British PLCE webbing belt. Maybe flipped inside out. You can check the Poe Dameron thread since he has a similar one with his flight suit.

TheSeekerOfTru7h likes this.
  3. TheSeekerOfTru7h

Wow, no kidding, that looks spot on :D, the challenge then becomes the belt buckle ^^, and adding in the little "bullet" greeblies

Thanks! :)

Edit: or I could look a little bit further in my google search and realise it's the PLCE Webbing belt with the roll pin buckle and it's pretty much spot on.

4. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Yeah I should have mentioned the roll pin buckle version.
    His belt on the cold weather outfit is another PLCE but with a new buckle.
    IMG_6962.JPG

5. TheSeekerOfTru7h

Aaaand this is why I'm enlisting help, because most the time I'm an idiot derping around like a goofball :)

6. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We'll probably end up offering the entire outfit but yes, that shirt is VERY Han ESB!

7. TheSeekerOfTru7h

:D, yeah, that's why I figured just going for a light tan-ish cotton twill version would be an easy use pre-movie ^^

Also, if you think you'll have a coat pre-movie, I'll totally sign up :D

8. Indy Magnoli

If you want to commission the jacket, shoot me an e-mail and we'll sort out your measurements and start collecting photos. As soon as I'm happy we've got enough to go on, we'll get the jacket done ASAP so you can have it before the release.

9. TheSeekerOfTru7h

I'm definitely interested. Though I will have to wait for my finances to stabilise a bit more first.

10. katarn

katarn New Member

I'm also working on a Cassian costume, here's my no-budget version: i used an old tan cotton jacket, sewed on some pieces from an old pair of tan khakis, and dyed the whole thing brown. Still need to stripe the sleeves.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Cameron1138 and TheSeekerOfTru7h like this.
  11. CaptainTightpantsCosplay

CaptainTightpantsCosplay Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have been prepping this build for a few months now and will likely start to turn my full attention to it as the premier date approaches. One thing that I noticed in the the jacket is that is pretty much the one worn by Jyn minus the darts beneath the chest pockets. The jacket also looks to have rectangular chest pockets with mitered lower inside corners. The left pocket has a pointed flap and the right has a pencil pocket. The jacket also appears to have mock molle strips on either side of the zipper, a greeblie window on the left side and vertical stitching detail on the upper left breast and shoulders. It has a squared mandarin collar and waistband with horizontal stitching detail. The sleeves look to have yellow bloodstripes and coffus with horizontal stitching. I have heard that the blood stripes are printed rather than embroidered. I am unsure on that detail.

I will likely use this pattern as a basis.

[​IMG]

I have used it for a lot of star wars jackets and think it works pretty well.

He wears at least three pairs of pants in the film as far as I can tell from the trailers and promotional photos.

1) Stylized fatigue khakis (theses seem to be paired with the jacket most frequently): They appear to be a cotton drill with pin-tucks and fatigue pockets. They appear to have a narrow cargo pocket on the left side (have not seen a clear enough photo to determine if there is one on the left hand side. They also appear ro have an elastic gather at the ankle.

2) Cargo pants ( these are paired with the parka, and have been on display): These may be insulated. They have side square cargo pockets, Knee pads and ribbed detail behind the knees.

3) Uniform pants (Cassain appears to be wearing Imperial officer uniform pants and boots at some point)

The shirt looks to be an ESB Han Solo Style shirt but in a natural material, looks almost linen. Magnoli makes the best (I own two). I will attempt to make my own using this pattern

[​IMG]

The belt is definitely a PLCE turned inside out belt with a Roll Pin Buckle, similar to the TFA pilots. The parka version has the detailed buckle.

The boots are a stylized combat boot with modified closures over the laces. Not sure s to the source of the decorative latch, but it looks like a snow boot latch. I can't quite tell if it is black or brown.

12. smithjohnj

smithjohnj Well-Known Member

As you pointed out there are many similarities between Jyn's and Andor's Jacket and Boots. If you have not already looked at it, I would suggest checking out the "ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!" here in the rpf.

13. Indy Magnoli

I believe I've got enough for us to do a spot on replica of Andor's jacket so, if anyone is interested in a pre-release option, shoot me an e-mail!

14. Indy Magnoli

Our jacket is coming along...

[​IMG]

15. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i love it!

16. Indy Magnoli

Almost there...

[​IMG]

17. monsterpartyhat

monsterpartyhat Well-Known Member

Looking good!

18. luke182w

luke182w Member

19. Indy Magnoli

Our jacket is finished... we'll be adding it to the site next week with more photos. Until then:

[​IMG]

20. Mitch LaRue

Mitch LaRue Active Member

That's GORGEOUS, Indy! :):thumbsup

21. luke182w

luke182w Member

Looks awesome! I'll be putting an order in soon :)

22. Dann

Dann Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's an awesome jacket, even for everyday wear! Is it warm?

23. Indy Magnoli

Dann, with the cotton canvas, it's relatively warm... basically a three-season jacket. These are made-to-order, so they can be made with a lighter cotton twill for a cooler jacket or lined in cotton, or even wool, if you want a warmer jacket.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Sintender likes this.
  24. dorsai3d

dorsai3d New Member

@Magnoli, that's a fantastic looking jacket.

I think I may have found a couple useful bits for this. First, a nice clear picture that I haven't seen posted yet: https://advancedgraphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2253_Cassian_R1_28.jpg

Next, I think these pants are a very close match, needs only the pocket patch and pintuck: https://www.amazon.com/Levis-Mens-Cargo-Jogger-Pant/dp/B01EBPOGYK

The buckle for the gun belt and the shoes have me stumped, though. Anyone have a source for either?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    luke182w and Indy Magnoli like this.
  25. CaptainTightpantsCosplay

Here are couple shots of my WIP, starting on the jacket next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

is the bottom line of the bib supposed to be horizontal? Or a slight angle? Either way, fantastic job and you captured the vibe. Now wash up those clothes so they have a nice worn look.

27. Dann

Looks pretty right to me, looking at the reference picture above...

28. luke182w

luke182w Member

Looking great! Do you have a plan/template for the pants? Also, what colour belt did you buy?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  29. MasterEdi

MasterEdi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's a cheap way to have a Cassian blaster for your cosplay. Just tweak and paint a $19.99 Nerf gun.
    IMG_0063.JPG

30. DarthVander

DarthVander New Member

Any thoughts on the jacket greeblies?

31. CaptainTightpantsCosplay

Its supposed to to be straight, I noticed that it was angled after I took the pics and adjusted it!

32. CaptainTightpantsCosplay

I self drafted the pants based on a pattern that I have used multiple time in the past. As for the belt, it is Light Olive and a little darker than I'd like. I may paint it a lighter tan using automotive interior paint like i did with the Poe Dameron belt.

33. luke182w

luke182w Member

They look great. Is it possible to still buy the shirt and pant patterns anywhere online?

34. katarn

katarn New Member

IMG_0818.JPG Finished my Cassian jacket. Hand made the greeblies with scraps from other projects.. All other pieces except the boots have also been completed.

35. Muddler

Muddler Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi!

Don't know, if anyone is working on this alternative outfit...

cassian-andor-main_216e7233.jpeg

In case anybody is interested: I'm pretty sure, the box on his jacket is a german army gun-cleaning-kit.
    Just search for "waffenreinigungsgerät" on ebay. (you might also want to add "bundeswehr" or "bw").

Studio_20161126_001155.png $_20.JPG BW-Bundeswehr-Waffenreinigungsset-Waffenreinigungsgerät-NEU-G3-MP2-P1.jpg

They are around 5 - 10 Euros each (plus shipping).
    Have fun!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    swedishfanboy likes this.
  36. Toa Quarax

Toa Quarax Active Member

Here's a bigger version of that picture (source):

cassian-andor-main_216e7233.jpeg

There seems to be variants of that kit, but since no one seems to want to take pictures that show the hinge, it's hard to tell which one they used.

Edit: here's some pictures of what looks like an incorrect variant:

Waffen-Reinigungsset-Bundeswehr-G3-gebr.jpg Waffen-Reinigungsset-Bundeswehr-G3-gebr-_57.jpg Waffen-Reinigungsset-Bundeswehr-G3-gebr-_57 (1).jpg

37. Indy Magnoli

Here's Andor's jacket in a more Han Solo color scheme, with first-class Corellian bloodstripes:

[​IMG]

Cameron1138, Thain, ender9492 and 3 others like this.
  38. Dann

Always with the awesome clothes, Magnoli! Man, I'd wear that jacket every day!

I've still got your Blade Runner tie, I've worn it to several weddings! Ha!

39. luke182w

luke182w Member

So I've pitched the belt, I'll be ordering Magnoli's jacket soon but I'm really struggling on finding patterns for the short and pants. Any ideas anyone?

40. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Don't forget the tan version all the commandos wear. ;)

41. Indy Magnoli

Yep... and the olive drab Jyn Erso version too!

CarpElgin likes this.
  42. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Member

Mitch LaRue likes this.
  43. HaggardSage

HaggardSage Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I found a little better detail on his holster from the Fathead wall decal.

CassianAndor.png

44. CaptainTightpantsCosplay

Here are some of the updates on my jacket.

15193479_1152157138171476_2869075583908164437_n.jpg 15219543_1150367958350394_8798990538701531639_n.jpg

monsterpartyhat likes this.
  45. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

46. Dann

Lovely paint job!

Saw one of these at the store, and unfortunately, it's quite a bit undersized.

Still, looks great with a new paint job!

47. Uncharted Leather

Uncharted Leather Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is the full photo of the Fathead decal I found while working on a pattern for the holster.

Cassian Andor.jpg

HaggardSage likes this.
  48. HaggardSage

HaggardSage Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice shot! Much better quality than what I posted.

49. precursor

precursor Jr Member

Anyone have leads on the cold weather coat? I'm thinking about snagging something decent and modifying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Colombia is coming out with a licensed version that isn't accurate for $500.

Best bet is look at army surplus and outdoors (sporting goods) sites.
    Might even want to hit your local second hand stores.

I found a orange jacket that has most of the correct details for a Snow Speeder jacket for under $10.
    Just needs the ribbing on the sleeves and window pocket and storm flap added (I already modified the collar).

Friendly flyer and precursor like this.