Rogue Hands

TUSKY

Purchased the Plaster (2kg) and the rubber gloves this morning, so will start making the positives to sculpt on to.
I will be using an old method of filling the rubber glovers with the plaster to get "generic hands".
Used this method years ago when making monster/creature hands.
Will try to take as many pics as i can.
Good to back it to casting etc

Plaster_and_gloves.JPG

Thanks for the comments guys
Hopefully tomorrow (Day off) i will pour the plaster.
It has been awhile since i last did sculpting, casting etc, so i am alittle bit nervous.
That should pass once i get started, things will comeback to me.

Back when i uesd to do this regulary i used Klean Clay.
I have been outta touch with the SPFX world, other than the Lair, does any one recomend any other clay that maybe better?
Oil based is my prefered medium, as sculpts could lie uncompleted for a period of time.
Any suggestions would be a big help :lol:

Thanks for the comment people :)
I haven't figure out how to arrange the pics in this post so use the force guys!

This method that i use is an alternative to the way i used to do it using alginate and hydracol/ultrcol etc.
It is less expensive than using the above materials and not as complex.
Ok here we go!
First off I constructed a frame to suspended the glove from so I could pour in the plaster of Paris.
The glove I am using is a Medium size 8-81/2 , common use is for wearing while washing the dishes.
I have attached the glove to the frame with staples from my handy staple gun!
Made sure that the glove would not contact the bench when full of the weighty plaster!
You could use another casting stone if you wish, but i haven't tried that. :unsure:

Next I measured the plaster of Paris.
For 1x glove:
450mls of water
650gms of Plaster (roughly 4 &1/2 cups)

When using plaster I have a plastic bucket, (the plastic is semi soft so I can squeeze the side to remove left over dried plaster) with a small pour/spout, handy when filling molds.
As Meangene mentioned in his P2 sculpt build, gloves are a good idea when using plaster as it can dry out the skin.
Some folks are allergic to the stuff. Glasses and old clothes are a good idea as well, plaster can get everywhere.
Anyhow, i did not use gloves.
Once I have the water in the bucket I add the plaster ½ a cup at a time, sprinkling it in and mixing it in.
This is were your hands come in to break up the plaster which will clump in the water!
When I have added all the plaster I make sure that all of the lumps have gone then I tap the bucket on the side with the handle of a screw driver (the tool, not the drink!) to evacuate all of the air bubbles.

Happy with the plaster, pour it in to the glove, I stopped once I got past the thumb, so I can squeeze the fingers to remove any pesky air bubbles!
Carry on till you have emptied the bucket or filled the glove.
NOTE: Remember that the glove will bulge with the weight of the plaster and your palm on the glove will lose its inward concave.
Using electrical tape or similar wrap around the palm to arrest the outward bulge, this may take a few goes but you can reduce the pregnant guppy look. :rolleyes:
Another method is the same as pour latex into a mold, do a little at a time, do it in layers. This will also reduce the bulge. :)
When you are happy, gently tap the glove to remove any more air bubbles, then walk away!

Let the plaster cure on it's own, this could take anywhere from 10 minutes to ½ an hour, depending on the temperature of the air, moisture etc.
When the plaster cures it will heat up and get pretty hot (I have the spec's somewhere in a folder)

Once it is cooled carefully cut the glove length ways down to the palm and carefully peel the glove off.
Take care when doing this as you can break off a finger if there are any air bubbles.
Any broken digits can be reattached with glue or plaster of Paris and a small strip of plaster bandage..

The end result is a plaster negitive of a hand that you can sculpt on.
As you can tell by the end pic of my hand that i had the tape alittle too tight around the blade of the palm on the glove.
I will just add more clay to reclaim the shape.

If you need to mount in on a board just drill a hole in the end of the arm to insert a rod for an armature/base.
Also if the bulge in the palm is still too big, carefully use a rasp (File) or dremal to adjust it too your likeing.

I have already done the second hand, so now i need clay,...... ;)

START_OF_PLASTER_POURING.jpg

Picture_2010_11_150.jpg

Picture_2010_11_151.jpg

Picture_2010_11_152.jpg

Picture_2010_11_155.jpg

Picture_2010_11_165.jpg

Due to work and life i haven't had a chance to touch these.
I will need to rasp, file down the bulge in the palms caused by excess plaster, to get back to the general shape.
Heading up past my clay supplier this week to a nephews wedding, so i will pick up some blocks and with any luck will start shaping clay. :mad:

Damn I love people who think outside of the box :mad:. At least I know now I don't have to beat my head against the wall trying to worry about an exact replica of my hand when it comes to making a lifecast.

hey tusky, looking forward to the sculpts.

but can i get ya to change the title? :mad:

i'm pretty sure you mean rogue and not rouge.

cheers dude.

Damn I love people who think outside of the box :). At least I know now I don't have to beat my head against the wall trying to worry about an exact replica of my hand when it comes to making a lifecast.

I found when making multipule pieces for crowds, having generic positives of different sizes is a god send.
It was a idea that Tom Savini, used in the Day of the Dead.
The rubber gloves usually come in three sizes S, M, L. Great sizing for hands.

I 2nd this motion.
And i third it!!
Not too sure were the hell i will go with this as i have changed tack (again) on how the suit will be built!
Lack of funds doesn't help.
Anyway i have dusted this off so hopefully i will be at it again. :D

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back