Roger Corman Doctor Doom Mask thread help

Wait, I thought there was an arrangement in the works for the the 3D scan. I must have missed an update somewhere. Thought it was still in the print testing phase?

No, these new masks are nothing to do with me or the or the person that scanned my original mask.

This seems to be a rogue project.

Interesting......

So digital 'recasting' is a thing now?

This is an absolutely nonsense accusation. One which I take very seriously.

The masks you recast and sold were not used in any direct way beyond being used as photographic reference. This is a *new* sculpture. It is not cast or recast from anything. Period. Referenced from many sources including movie stills and propstore auction photos, and yes, the recast of the real sculpt.

This is a mask I have wanted for a very long time that was otherwise not available. We made this replica in good faith, and Vek has made it available for anyone who wants one. I have been completely transparent about it’s origin, being a new replica model from Vek, including in the initial announcement post which was deleted by a moderator for some reason.

Richard, I tried for a long time to work with you to bring copies of the mask from your mold to the community, and you made every effort to make it as difficult as possible. Let’s not make this difficult as well. If your scan ever pans out and you wish to sell the file I encourage it. If it doesn’t, well there is a replica for anyone to buy and print themselves. That seems pretty great to me.

If you, or anyone else, has further questions, please feel free to let me know. Mods, I can back up this pieces origin from start to finish. If you’d like to see my conversations with Vek, the reference we used, the print, anything, please feel free to reach out to me and I will supply you with everything. I hope this settles the matter and we can all move on.

All the best.
J

PS. WIP photos of Vek’s original model as it was being made, over.. you guessed it.. Propstore photos.
AC5DBFB0-6715-4B1D-A353-6B3ECEBF85AE.jpeg
9E4D6AFA-1CED-4F10-A93F-29B6D6C4FD55.jpeg

Last edited:
This is an absolutely nonsense accusation. One which I take very seriously.

The masks you recast and sold were not used in any direct way beyond being used as photographic reference. This is a *new* sculpture. It is not cast or recast from anything. Period. Referenced from many sources including movie stills and propstore auction photos, and yes, the recast of the real sculpt.

This is a mask I have wanted for a very long time that was otherwise not available. We made this replica in good faith, and Vek has made it available for anyone who wants one. I have been completely transparent about it’s origin, being a new replica model from Vek, including in the initial announcement post which was deleted by a moderator for some reason.

Richard, I tried for a long time to work with you to bring copies of the mask from your mold to the community, and you made every effort to make it as difficult as possible. We do a legitimate fully above board replica, and you have a problem with that now? Let’s not make this difficult as well. If your scan ever pans out and you wish to sell the file I encourage it. If it doesn’t, well there is a replica for anyone to buy and print themselves. That seems pretty great to me.

If you, or anyone else, has further questions, please feel free to let me know. Mods, I can back up this pieces origin from start to finish. If you’d like to see my conversations with Vek, the reference we used, the print, anything, please feel free to reach out to me and I will supply you with everything. I hope this settles the matter and we can all move on.

All the best.
J

PS. WIP photos of Vek’s original model as it was being made, over.. you guessed it.. Propstore photos.
View attachment 1772235View attachment 1772236

PPS, For some reason my initial announcement post sharing that a *replica* was being made was deleted. Thank goodness Vek had sent me this screen shot. View attachment 1772272

Sorry, I've retracted my original comment, I was in a bad mood (alcohol induced).

I really don't mind. I hardly ever come here any more. I lost interest in prop replicas a long time ago.

I just had a look through our past conversations, I hadn't remembered that we had chatted about it before, I thought you were some random.

You should have just let me know what you were planning, I'd have sent you the mould to make things easier.

Hope I haven't messed things up for you!

Keep up the good work,

Dick.

Sorry, I've retracted my original comment, I was in a bad mood (alcohol induced).

I really don't mind. I hardly ever come here any more. I lost interest in prop replicas a long time ago.

I just had a look through our past conversations, I hadn't remembered that we had chatted about it before, I thought you were some random.

You should have just let me know what you were planning, I'd have sent you the mould to make things easier.

Hope I haven't messed things up for you!

Keep up the good work,

Dick.

I appreciate your retraction very much.

You mentioned at one point you’d hope to get this mask made again in some form, and I can tell you I would love to see you do that. Either through your scan or through casts done by yourself or another member. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would support that effort. At the end of the day we are all just big fans of this mask.

J

I appreciate your retraction very much.

You mentioned at one point you’d hope to get this mask made again in some form, and I can tell you I would love to see you do that. Either through your scan or through casts done by yourself or another member. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would support that effort. At the end of the day we are all just big fans of this mask.

J

The Doom mask started out as a sort of test, to see if I could do it. I had no skills whatsoever.

After I pulled the first perfect copy out of the mould, I couldn't beleive I'd actually done it! Then I got addicted to making more and more and experimenting a bit!

It was fun whilst it lasted, but things have changed. I got diagnosed with MS 2 years ago, after losing most of my eyesight (forever) and I can't sit or stand for long. I just might get around to making a couple more. I don't even have one for myself! I sent my last one to a sci-fi museum.

Richard

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back