RoG announces new X-Wing kit!

It probably has more to do wth box size and how many can fit on a stores display shelf. Fingers crossed that it will have more detail than previous X-Wing kits and be accurate shape wise. They took a lot of liberties with their recent 1/600 TOS Enterprise kit.

Love the X-wing, I have 3 of the old MPC 1/32 kits plus 2 fine molds 1/48 kits. I hope this 1/30 kit is at least better detailed then the old MPC kits were.

Love the X-wing, I have 3 of the old MPC 1/32 kits plus 2 fine molds 1/48 kits. I hope this 1/30 kit is at least better detailed then the old MPC kits were.

If its the old MPC kit, those were actually 1/42 scale. The AMT Proshop X-wing was about 1/35 scale.

RoG site has this image but it's obviously a computer rendering. Nice... I like a wider stance on the wings though. :D

comp_06690-X-Wing-Fighter-1.jpg

I know it's a 3D rendering, but doesn't the end result begin with a 3D model?
Would this rendering be part of the box art?

TazMan2000

It's an easy kit; which means it's pre-painted and a snap fast kit. :( At least that's what it says HERE. Won't make it less worthy of a kit, just will look toyish until it's built and repainted.

Well if it's as good as their snap TIE, which was praised by the reviewer in an earlier post, that'll be great. We'll see how it stands up against the Finemolds 1:48. :D

RoG's treatment of Star Trek subjects has not been so well received, such as last year's TOS Enterprise and Klingon D-7.

K

When is it due and how do we get them here in the states?

Eventually it will cross the pond probably in early 2014 if it hits in Europe in October like they are projecting. The Star Wars kits usually tend to get issued and it was only a couple of the pocket kits that got held up for longer than they should have (such as the Falcon and Snowspeeder, although they are available in the states now).

These might even come out a little quicker as it seems both the US and Europe releases of the bigger boxed kits are using a standardized packaging (so no need to use two different types of boxes and they just slap a sticker with the US stock number for kits coming to the states).

Hello everyone,

so I recently received the newly released X-Wing kit from Revell, so I'll try to show it to you a bit closer.

Firstly, here is the box :

As you can see, the production model is finally 43.5 cm long instead of the 41 cm previously announced, the kit also contains 93 pieces instead of 62.

And here is what the box contains :

A closer look at the different pieces on the instruction manual :

Here is the X-Wing partially built :

This is actually not bad, I would say better than anything from Hasbro but still a bit inferior to the Fine Molds in terms of details I guess. With a bit of work, this model could really shine, for example a set of 3D printed parts made in the scale of the model would do wonders as some parts are lacking in details.

Here are the areas of the kit that need a complete overhaul :

The torpedo bays on the lower fuselage

The back plate on the upper fuselage (this one is tricky as it will need to be completely removed because it's molded in the fuselage)

The butt plate

The pilot seat (as you can see it's pretty rough in details)

The canopy (it will need to be completely redone as it's molded in one piece of clear plastic)

The cannons (as you can see a fair amount of details is just not there)

Concerning my 3D printed parts idea, has anyone here already done an accurate 3D model of an X-Wing ? I think this is the only good way to get a good representation of each part needed. Not knowing much about 3D printers, do you think it's a viable way to improve this kit ?

Thanks.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back