Rocky Horror Picture Show props?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Bizarro Lois, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

I just went to a showing last night, and it got me wondering if anyone has any RHPS pieces in their collection. I can't think of a lot of found props that could be researched and an identical item bought, but it would be great to see what people have come up with. Does anyone have any screen-used items?
    I'm including costumes in this as well. Last time I heard, Meatloaf has the "BABY" jacket that he wore as Eddy. I was watching a VH1 special a while back about RHPS and they interviewed him. He held up the jacket on camera.
    The laser that Riff Raff uses at the end would be a fun piece to recreate. Apparently, a lot of the props were from Hammer studios. Maybe someone here has recognized them and knows which ones.

2. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

3. troopermatthew

troopermatthew Well-Known Member

Im prey good at recreating the time warp :angel

4. Knightjar

Knightjar Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well it is just a jump to the left.

5. gjustis

gjustis Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaaaand, a step to the right.

[​IMG]

This was last month. I was cold. Very cold.

6. Java

Java Sr Member

At least she was Hot.

I'm here 'til Tuesday, try the veal.

7. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

Baa-zing!

8. Laffo

Laffo Sr Member

I have a Frankenfurter Corset from the production I was in if anyone is looking for a handmade Man-Corset.
    We did our all Rocky Horror Band "Satanic Mechanics" for one night only.

[​IMG]

Laffo.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  9. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I look forward to more of this thread, with annnnnnntici...

10. phase pistol

11. decaturvader

decaturvader Sr Member

holy crap, never noticed Magenta and that dude were wearing garters in those costumes.
    Every year, at the hometown theater I moonlight at as projectionist, we play this show for two evening events. The local college has a Shadow Cast who comes and acts out the show on stage in front of the screen.
    And the people who come are encouraged to "dress as bare as you dare".
    My oh my what the girlies wear...AND the dudes who show up. We've actually had the State Police show up to see why 600 half naked people were on our city block.
    Next year, I thought I should dress up...but I'll be Eddie LOL

12. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

I got my husband to agree to go as Eddie if I do a good job on the costume someday. I'd also like to do an accurate version of Magenta's little oven-mitt number in that pic too.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  13. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

I'm with a shadow cast in Easley SC that will be performing Halloween at midnight, I'm Dr. Scott. I'm the only one that can quote all the technobabble right toward the end. :lol We have a Riff laser, it's not bad, but could be better. I'd love to build a screen accurate version.

14. phase pistol

"That dude" is Richard O'Brien, who is pretty much the brains of Rocky Horror... he wrote the script, and even sang the theme song. :lol

O'Brien also appears as the Stranger, Mr. Hand, in "Dark City"

[​IMG]

15. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

He was also one of the main thieves in the Dungeons and Dragons movie.

16. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

Could we see pics of the laser, pretty please? :cool

17. 3720to1

3720to1 Well-Known Member

he was also the evil photog in Spice World

18. The Wolf

The Wolf Sr Member

Anybody thought of doing the Denton Affair book that the Narrator (a criminologist) looks through, with the police reports, sci fi comic cover, pics of Eddie, etc.?

The Wolf

19. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Ach! Ve've got to get out uf zis trap! Before zis... decadence... saps our vills! I've got to be strong, und try to... hang on! Or else, my mind may very vell SNAP! Und my life, will be lived...for ze Thriiiiiiiills....."

20. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Also Prince Barron's right hand man in Flash Gordon.

21. garybarth

garybarth Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does Frankenfurter's mansion count as a prop? I took this a couple months ago when I was over in London. It's a hotel now.

[​IMG]

Gary

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  22. phase pistol

There's a li-hight... over at the Frankenstein plaaaace! :lol

23. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

So cool! Will they let you stand in an upstairs window and be "The incredible, shrinking Riff Raff"?

I would so steal that statue by the door if it wasn't attached.

24. SonOfPumpkinhead

SonOfPumpkinhead Sr Member

25. Amadscientist

Amadscientist Active Member

Old thread but I am bringing it back from the dead.

I just found this. I would love to find the original but I spent years looking for something even close. This was pure luck discovering this online today. There are slight differences I attribute to crude casting as the one in the film looks to be a fibreglass replica.

Frank N. Furter's Throne Chair:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Walnut Cherub Throne Chair Large armchair with figu

26. Knightjar

The throne looks to be an expensive prop if you base it on the chair you've linked to!

I'm planning to build the grandfather clock. Apparently it was a hired prop; the skeleton is supposedly the lover of the clock's original owner.

27. Amadscientist

It's an expensive prop no matter how you look at it. I am not going to purchase this. I am going to find out where it came from, track it down and ask to recast it or take measurements and photos to replicate with wood and bondo cheaply. The clock seems pretty easy and wanty to make one. Yes. You have the story correct. It was a rented prop and is an actual antique and is supposed to be the decieased lover of the person who made it.

28. Knightjar

Yes, could be done quickly and easily but I'd like to treat it as an excuse to learn some new skills by doing the inlays properly.

The biggest problem is persuading my partner to let me display it in the hallway. You wouldn't think it would be a problem since we already have a skeleton by the front door, but she's not a big RHPS fan...

29. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I myself have thought about the book and what kind of items were in it. But the problem with it is this: the pages NOT seen.

Other things I can think of prop wise includes the Jukebox that Columbia sits on during "The Time Warp" sequence, the engagement ring that Brad gives to Janet during "Dammit Janet." There's also the monitors seen within the film, such as the "television monitor" that Magenta and Columbia watch Janet and Rocky on in "Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch Me." The newspaper that Janet uses as a cover for "Over At The Frankenstein Place." The electric meat cutter in the dinner scene... And not to mention the "tender subject" remains of Eddie. And let's not forget an important one: the "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign.

BTW, did you know that Russell Crowe was in a production of "The Rocky Horror Show" as Eddie and Doctor Scott? I kid you not. Check here.

It's not really as simple as it sounds. Richard O'Brien, the musical's creator and portrayer of Riff-Raff, explained in the audio commentary that the clock was owned by an elderly woman, and that the skeleton inside was, in fact, the skeleton of her late husband. So, basically, the clock is a custom and unique piece (and I believe it also works from what I remember of the commentary, but could be wrong).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  30. The Prop Stop

The Prop Stop Sr Member

I too went to that hotel years ago. The griffins are still outside the front door.

The throne doesnt look close enough....unless they used it as a base.

The only real prop/wardrobe I have ever seen from this sold at Christies in the 1990's...Peter Hinwood sold his gold shorts with R logo. I will attempt to find it and scan the picture.

Rare stuff....I get the feeling they only made one costume per character.

31. Amadscientist

LOL! I challenge you to find anything closer sir. Anything at all. There are only very small differences that can be explained by casting as I said as well as the fact that this is not the actual chair used to make the casting. It has very small differences that are most likely from there being more than one chair hand carved, but this is one of them. There are double antlers that are at the joining of wood. That is missing. The center brace under the chair is slightly different as well but all the scroll work and the silhouette are dead on.

32. Amadscientist

No, there were doubles and triples of many of the costumes. I believe Hinwoods shorts were on of the items made in doubles.

33. Amadscientist

The newspaper has been located and dated to the correct day and time. It was an early issue I believe. I can get the information if you want. Same with the book and the comics. The map has not been identified as far as I know.

I like odd ball props. The coconut tree during time warp with the garden gnomes and the Christmas tree lights. Riff Raff's Candelabra, The Home of Happiness sign....and that * light up globe....by the way Big Lots had one very close a few weeks ago...the light up globe that is.

34. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

BTW, I just had a thought. Is this covering JUST "Rocky Horror Picture Show" or does it include "Shock Treatment" as well? I ask because I know that they recycled some props from RHPS to use in "Shock Treatment", such as the "throne" (discussed earlier), which they changed from silver to red.

35. Amadscientist

Why not? Go for it. I am still not sure if they recycled that thrown or if it was reproduced. Be interesting to look into.

36. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Well, according to the booklet that came with the 25th Anniversary edition of "Shock Treatment", it says the following: Several of the costumes and props from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", including Frank's throne (painted red), can be seen in "Shock Treatment." If that's not a verification that its the same throne, I don't know what is.

37. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Eventually I plan to make the Laser and the Clock...both on my someday to do list.

Meatloaf again?

38. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here are several shots of the AntiMatter gun that might help:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

39. Roush9855

Roush9855 Member

I would want meat loafs motorcycle...but a few of those costumes look wicked. Been a while since vie seen the movie.

40. Amadscientist

I wouldn't call that verification. It just means that some props were used on purpose. Tuxedo with a lightening bolt, a painting of American Gothic, etc were used as props but I am not clear that these were all actual props that were ruined for the next film. Possible. Done all the time. But not sure if they just didn't make a new one to be red the same way they made the silver one.

41. Amadscientist

The gun is either fibreglass , plastic or resin. It is chrome finished but not clear if it's real chrome.

The best possible way to replicate this to build from sratch the same way the old one was but I am not clear how it was done. I do know that a replica can be made with bathroom fixtures available at Wal Mart at one time. It would require epoxy, a metal saw and a tube bender but it can be done for under $50....or maybe $75.

42. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Basically the raygun is designed after the American Gothic pitchfork. Richard still has the prop (according the audio commentary of the film), but it doesn't have the lightning bolt or the pole that lead up to the lightning bolt was connected to like it did. The only thing that's left of it is the handle and the fork itself.

43. Vlair

Vlair Well-Known Member

And the Thief Prince in the D&D Movie

Tom Baker was also in that as an Elf Doctor...

44. nightwind1

nightwind1 Active Member

I have a squirt gun and a couple slices of toast... does that count?:lol

45. Amadscientist

It counts....if you wanna get thown out of a theatre. LOL! They don't allow those anymore! LOL!:lol

46. Amadscientist

The gun is made to resemble a pitch fork, but is also designed similar to an old side handled batton. Someone mestioned it as gold, but it's actualy silver. Richard O'Brien was asked about this by a fan several years ago.

47. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Well, since we're also covering a bit of Shock Treatment, I've got a little bit of a list of items that show up in the film. If anyone thinks I should post screencaps of these items, let me know. And I can look through RHPS for any other items that stand out that hasn't been listed yet.

From Shock Treatment
    - The Times Magazine with the "Cult Movies" cover, with the iconic RHPS lips on it.
    - The DTV Life Contract that Cosmo tries to get Janet to sign it.
    - DTV ID badges.
    - The "Brad and Janet Show" dossier that Bert Schnick gives to Cosmo and Nation (also the "Farley Expects" dossier with design sketch of Janet's Little Black Dress)
    - Cosmo's glasses (which sort of looks similar to the iconic glasses worn by Tyrell in Blade Runner, but the middle portion of the lenses looks like they are more magnified than an actual lens),.
    - Bert Schnick's sunglasses and walking stick.
    - The DTV Alimony Envelope
    - Silver and black Polaroid SLR 680 (used during the Shock Treatment song sequence, as well as the Lullaby song sequence before that)
    - A digital alarm clock, white in color, manufacture listed on it is "Beta."
    - The American Gothic painting (from RHPS)
    - The It's Gotta Be DTV sign.
    - DTV Clipboards (which is the easiest that can be done)
    - Space Invaders/Space Invaders Part II Arcade Game (7 are featued in one scene, I'm not sure if its just Part II that is used for all machines or if its a mix, but one is certainly Part II, which can be seen in one of the shots during the Looking for a Trade song sequence)
    -Farley Flavors baseball caps
    -(a pretty big one for the driveway) a white 1962 Ford Thunderbird convertible

There's a few others I could list, but I've decided to start with the ones that stood out to me by watching the film recently.

48. tk118

tk118 New Member

Here are some photos of the Riff Raff Laser I made about 20 years ago.. It is STEEL and very heavy.. But it was made to last many many performances.. And that it did.

Mind you it is not 100% accurate.. But i think it is great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

49. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member

I still have the ticket from the premiere of "Shock Treatment" lo those many years ago!

50. MuzikxMonkey

MuzikxMonkey New Member

I love this work. It looks amazing. Have been trying to find someone who could make one. I have tried to make one myself, but I am no good with building, but can do circuitry. [​IMG]. Any tips or tuts on how to make one??