Rocketeer Rocketpack

Darth Chetta

Hi, i am not sure if this is the right place for this, but since the rocketpack IS a prop i figured id try it here.
I have just purchased the MIM rocket pack kit. HERE is my dilema.. I have absolutly ZERO skills whenit comes to painting and assembly. Give me a computer a keyboard and photoshop and ill go to town.. but in real life.. it is ugly...I am looking for someone to help witht he finishing of the rocketpack harness and all. Of course you will be well compensated. Hope someone can help.. thanks.
J.

Yours is a position I see myself in soon. Since getting the MR Helmet I have been considering getting the MIM kit. I'd done some model building and painting, but it wll be the biggest thing I've take on thus far.

MIM mentions on their site I believe that a service is available to get it done, but I have no ideas what it costs, but mentioning it in case you didn't try that option.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your overall thoughts on the kit? Its an expensive piece, so just want to get as much feedback as I can. Not sure if you got it yet, as you say you just bought it.

Appreciate any comments you can give on it, and best of luck getting yours completed.

James

Originally posted by Darth Maul@Dec 9 2005, 01:43 AM
Yours is a position I see myself in soon.  Since getting the MR Helmet I have been considering getting the MIM kit.  I'd done some model building and painting, but it wll be the biggest thing I've take on thus far.

MIM mentions on their site I believe that a service is available to get it done, but I have no ideas what it costs, but mentioning it in case you didn't try that option.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your overall thoughts on the kit?  Its an expensive piece, so just want to get as much feedback as I can.  Not sure if you got it yet, as you say you just bought it.

Appreciate any comments you can give on it, and best of luck getting yours completed.

James
[snapback]1132058[/snapback]​
I JUST ordered the kit the other day so i dont have it in my hands yet. BUT i have asked around on this forum and from what i can gather the rocketpack kit is pretty accurate. the helmet from what i gather is one of the most accurate out there, more so than the MR. I DO know that to have MIM do the custom finishing, they charge 2500 for the rocketpack. Not sure bout the helmet.

Check out Evan's step-by-step tutorial on finishing the jetpack:

http://www.evan.org/jetpack/

In addition to the kit itself, you'll need a bunch of bits and pieces of hardware to finish the thing. Looks like a big project - but if you take your time - and just follow the step-by-step guide... you can probably do it, no problem... hey, it's not really rocket-science...

Both the helmet and jetpack kits that MIM sells are actually made/produced by a very talented and skilled guy - who himself is a super-fan of the Rocketeer [MIM isn't making these - they are just selling them, I guess]. The pack is basically built from scratch [following the blue-prints of the pack - as seen in the movie]... however - the person who build it also owns one of the real [I believe a stunt one] packs from the movie - so, the kit is very, very nice and quite accurate - even in direct comparison w/ the real deal.

The helmet they offer is also very, very accurate... I would take one of those over the MR any day... much more accurate and much better overall shape... and it's made from resin... like the helmets used in the movie...

Congrats on ordering one of the jetpack kits - I'm sure, you'll really love it once it's all finished. Now - you've also gotta think about getting yourself a matching Rocketeer jacket. There is a member here on the RPF, who can hook you up... PM me and I'll give you his info

Marcvs66 pretty much nailed everything... :thumbsup

Evan's tutorial is the definitly the way to go. I'm using it as I (slowly) work on my pack. :)

Lonnie

Originally posted by rocketeer25@Dec 9 2005, 12:34 PM
Marcvs66 pretty much nailed everything...  :thumbsup

Evan's tutorial is the definitly the way to go.  I'm using it as I (slowly) work on my pack.  :)

Lonnie
[snapback]1132295[/snapback]​
OK,, lets say for a moment that i was brave enough to ACTUALLY attempt doing this myself...what tools do i need.. i think a dremel is kind of a must have. but man am i afraid. just FYI, i can mess up snap tight model kits..=)

Hey Gang-
I build Cirrus X-3's. I have built two MIM kits so far as well as restoring two screen used Rocketpacks. Leather harness are in the works but not available yet...soon.
I do the replicas exactly as the Hero pack was done in the film, with multiple types of silver paint...of course the replica is not zinc plated...but is darn close I think.

Drop me an email and I would love to help any way I can. Anything big or small.
Here is mine....

[image]http://www.rocketbobs.com/Rocketeerforum/pack1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.rocketbobs.com/Rocketeerforum/pack3.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.rocketbobs.com/Rocketeerforum/pack4.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.rocketbobs.com/Rocketeerforum/pack5.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.rocketbobs.com/Rocketeerforum/pack6.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.rocketbobs.com/Rocketeerforum/pack7.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.rocketbobs.com/Rocketeerforum/ElpackB.jpg[/image]

Rocketbob - how did you get that beautiful finish??

It looks great.. Please, do tell.

Originally posted by Rocketbobs@Dec 10 2005, 04:37 PM
Hey thanks.
The kit goes together pretty easily. The finish work is the part you need to get right.
[snapback]1133138[/snapback]​

So i think i am getting brave enough to attempt trimming the pack up myself.. but i need to buy a dremel. i was Looking at the Lowes website and found the 55 piece demel rotary kit... is this the right tool for this job? help would be appriciated.

Guess that depends on the included pieces.

I find that a flex shaft attachment is great, making the tool more pen-like and easier to handle.

As well, a few really good cutting/engraving bits are what you really need to cut into the resin. I have the Finhead Helmet by that same maker and I need to bore out a good quarter inch of resin from the mouth grill area, and the dremel made short work of it.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who said nice things about my tutorial. :) I really appreciated that.

I even got fancy lately and made a display table ... first time I've ever made anything like that so it was a very interesting project as well.

table.jpg

Evan very nice display table... i like the glass. I have a Philco transistor radio the HUGE console ones from 1935 that i plan on putting the helmet and pack on inside my home theatre room once itis all done.
And speaking of.. while the pack is on its way to me i am in the process of buying all th extras.. Evan i think i can find themall from your tutorial, but what kind/color paint should i use? What Bout pinstriping?
J.

The paint is a big pain in the neck. The short story is....
I paint each section seperately since each panel of metal would be slightly different. I paint with a chrome spray paint so it has an almost mirror finish. Then I take a wire brush and gently put the grain in. The I hand paint the entire thing with Future. See easy.

Originally posted by Darth Chetta@Dec 12 2005, 09:11 PM
Evan very nice display table... i like the glass. I have a Philco transistor radio the HUGE console ones from 1935 that i plan on putting the helmet and pack on inside my home theatre room once itis all done.
And speaking of.. while the pack is on its way to me i am in the process of buying all th extras.. Evan i think i can find themall from your tutorial, but what kind/color paint should i use? What Bout pinstriping?
J.
[snapback]1134370[/snapback]​

I used Krylon Short Cuts. I primered it with a off-the-shelf Krylon primer, then laid down several coats of Short Cuts chrome spray paint. A friend of mine who did a lot on the Fett boards told me that the chrome paint took fingerprints super easily, so to let it dry for three days between coats, which I did. Took forever to paint, but it looks GREAT.

From pictures, I like Bob's finish better - but I suspect the rattle-can was easier to apply and I really love it. :)

For pinstriping, the only pinstriping I used was in the radiator to paint the slots between the fins black. I just went to an auto store and grabbed some black pinstriping that was the right width.

The the radio as a display case is a really cool idea.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back