Rocketeer Helmet and rocket pack because there aren't enough already.

Gewn

Hello everyone!

This is my first thread so let's get this thing rolling.

I ordered the ACME kit from MiM before I even knew about the RPF and waited patiently for it's arrival. During that wait I stumbled upon the RPF doing research for Rocketeer gear, and I couldn't be happier to have found a site with such talented and passionate people.

The helmet and pack arrived in mid December as promised and I immediately snapped a picture to send to my pops. My father is a huge Rocketeer fan as well and when I told him that I was going to build a Rocketeer costume he asked if he could help. I jumped at the opportunity for his help for a couple of reasons, for starters, his background is in computer controlled lighting and he has a fair amount of friends who have or do work for Disney. Also, there's the whole father and son bonding thing.

For your consideration, it is extremely hard to photograph yourself when you can't see.

I'll spare you the the trimming and sanding pictures and jump straight to the helmet after two coats of Krylon Gold Metallic. My hero pose is in need of work.

First bit of wash and two more after it had been weathered a bit more.

Now, I thought I had come to a point where I was happy with the helmet and proceeded to try and mold the lenses. I learned quickly that I had fallen short in the trimming of the eyes on the inside. Hence this photo.

One thing turned into another and thought, "Well, I've come this far, I might as well shape the fin to be more screen accurate and sand down a high spot that's been bothering my OCD." So now the helmet is at this stage.

I need to sand the crown of the helmet some more to make a little more room for my liner from Valor, not that it won't fit, I just have an enormous head and need the extra clearance. Stay tuned!

Pretty jelous of that weathering. I've become more and more of a fan of this film and looking forward to the progress.

Looks great so far. Looking forward to seeing more.

Excellent job on the paint and weathering, it really looks like old beat up brass.

Pretty jelous of that weathering. I've become more and more of a fan of this film and looking forward to the progress.

Thank you! It's been a lot of fun and still has a ways to go. I'm both excited and terrified of starting work on the rocket pack.

Hey man! Looking great!! I'm revamping some of my rocketeer pieces now. One of these days I will splurge for the MOM rocket pack :) Best of luck with your build!

By the way - how long did you wait for your kits?

Looks amazing!

Thanks!

Hey man! Looking great!! I'm revamping some of my rocketeer pieces now. One of these days I will splurge for the MOM rocket pack :) Best of luck with your build!

By the way - how long did you wait for your kits?

Thanks! It took about 4-5 weeks for my kits to arrive which was exactly how long they told me it would be. I'm really excited to get back home and start chipping away at the helmet again and begin trimming the pack.

So fun! As a fan of the Rocketeer myself, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Really nice work so far man!

Looking good dude! I gotta ask about the weathering... any tips! I just made a few helmets myself and I'm working on doing the patina... I think you did a killer job!

Looking good dude! I gotta ask about the weathering... any tips! I just made a few helmets myself and I'm working on doing the patina... I think you did a killer job!

Thanks! The best advice I can give is to work in sections and have multiple brushes. I also try and move quickly so I stay loose and don't overwork a single area. There are some really great weathering threads on here that can better explain it all.

When I start cracking away on the helmet again I'll take more in progress shots and explain what I'm doing more thoroughly.

Well it's been a while since I've had the chance to work on my helmet. Everyone knows how it goes when life gets in the way of hobbies.

I finally got around to painting modified fin and next I'll be weathering and paint matching. I just thought a little update would be nice. Hopefully I'll be fully done with the helmet tomorrow and will post more pictures to follow. Next week I start work in the rocket pack. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the kind words! You're all too generous!

My want too!!

Can't wait to see the rocket. Is it styled from the comics or film?

I have the rocket from the film. I'm going to make a comic inspired rocket for my dog to wear though.

Now, I didn't totally finish but I'm just a few more clear coats and molding the lenses away from being done. Decided to snap today's progress and share anyway.
The weathering on my helmet is a little more severe than in the film and that's partly because I wanted the helmet to feel lived in and old. Almost like an heirloom.

i do have a question for folks with either the Magnoli or Wested jackets. How's the color on the Magnoli and how does the Wested fit? Does it run large, small, short? Also, any opinions about either. I've searched the forum and found some great info here and there but nothing too in depth about either.

Thanks!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back