Rocketeer comic build

That looks cool. I'm going for more of a point with mine, so that's why I'm using foam and body filler. I went with 14" on mine because when I scaled the drawings from the comic, it worked out to 14" on the diameter of tube I used.

Got the lights wired up. I really don't enjoy soldering much.
20150824_222152.jpg

Yeah, I'm still looking for a Mauser. They're pricey a lot of places because of their use in Star Wars.

As for the jacket, I'm sticking with my plan to outsource the bib part over the jacket I already have. Can't really justify dropping another $600 on a jacket for a costume when I have one so similar already. I'm just still trying to work out the best way to re-color the bib to match the jacket.

Paint wash was actually my next experiment. Good call.

I went ahead and glued in the electronics boards into the body. I never got around to adding sound, but since the cone is going to be removable, I can add that down the line.
PhotoGrid_1440728274173.jpg

Yes, it's a pain to work with Bondo. You should try, next time, to work it before it dries completely. Saves time, frustration and sanding (which you'll do a lot with body filler).
Good news for a propos your Mauser.

Got some leather paint in today so I tested it on some if the swatches in had cut from the sample. I think one is looking really close. I got Red Mahogany and Medium Brown and did base coats of each and 2nd coats over both with RM on the top half and MB on the bottom. I'll experiment some more, but thsee two colors together should give me what I want.
PhotoGrid_1441070936964.jpg

Also go in my Mauser airsoft gun. There are some screw holes and a MADE IN CHINA stamp on the other side I'll be filling and painting over. Not bad for $20 though.
20150831_203110.jpg

Sanded the hell out of the nose cone. I think it's safe to say I can skip the "primer to find gaps" stage and go right to more body filler. Left some HUGE gaps when I was first slapping on the Bondo.
20150901_190401.jpg

I used the primer to find gaps after the third coat. First two coats left some pretty huge gaps. Found it was easiest to mix up batches about the size of a golf ball for larger coverage areas and batches the size of a quarter for some of the small stuff. That left enough time to work with it without it drying out. It also helped having a belt sander; I would sand all the extra crud off the putty knife so it wouldn't get mixed in with the new batch. I would also recommend wearing some form of breathing protection while sanding if you're not already. Bondo dust goes everywhere​.

Will the light switch control your electronics?

(Off topic, but love the Pac-Man machine.)

Oh yes. I wear a respirator while sanding. I've read the warning labels.
The light switch is for the electronics. It's also present on the rocket in the comic as the gyro control switch. Thanks for the tip on the application. (I love that machine too)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back