Rocketeer comic build

VariablePenguin

Starting up a Rocketeer costume after getting an Ozymandias helmet cast during Stealth's storage clearance sale.
20150712_122213.jpg

I'm going with his comic appearance, so green lenses, rocket shaped jetpack, black boots, etc.

I've researched other people's designs and I'm going with an amalgamation of a couple jetpacks I've seen with my own twists and trying to be more accurate to Dave Stevens' original artwork. I'm going to be using PVC, cardboard, expansion foam, and wood.

Last edited:
Did some practice with my Arduino to see about a proof of concept on the glowing lights for the engine.
[video]https://youtu.be/ibOj_PojoAQ[/video]

Awesome! I've got a Rocketeer build going right now too, except I've got the ACME rocket pack. You can check it out in the props forum. I'm really looking forward to seeing your rocket come to life.

Thanks for the interest, friends! I'm really excited about this project as well. I have most of the components I need for the jetpack, I just need to have access to the laser cutter up at the Dallas Makerspace where I work on stuff to get most of it fabricated. Alas, the laser I know how to use has been down since Monday so I won't be able to cut the parts anytime soon (this is why I've also made no progress on a Mandalorian armor kit I want to work on). Since I have a hiccup like that, I've been working on the LEDs more. Here's another video of the fade/engine glow effect I'm working on using an Arduino Uno.

[video]https://youtu.be/ZkUpn9LrojA[/video]

Got my lasering done today!
20150718_130554.jpg

Used the Full Spectrum laser cutter at the Dallas Makerspace. All designs created in Inkscape by me.

Most of the parts are thick chipboard but the big one is 1/4" plywood for the back mount.

I can't wait to get the main tube cut so I can start putting all of the parts together and making the nose cone.

Haven't been able to get to the 'Space to work on the stuff that needs power tools (cutting the PVC pipe for the main body of the jetpack, scoring notches in it, etc), so I've switched to some stuff I can do at home easily.

First, I think I have the LED situation figured out now. I'm going to have a ring of 6 Red LEDs around 6 Orange around 3 yellow. I'll have the red and orange pulse/fade and that will simulate the rocket firing. Here's a video of 6 orange LEDs demonstrating the fading effect.
[video]https://youtu.be/nWGreq5yMv0[/video]

I also got to work on the helmet liner. I taped up the inside and made this really creepy looking template. Then I cut it out of this black, quilted fabric.
creepy.jpgliner.jpg

If I can find my sewing machine, hopefully I can sew it up tonight after work.

Well I made a mistake with my liner pattern. I scanned it into Inkscape to make sure that it was symmetrical, but when I went to print it I forgot to adjust for the resolution being different so it came out about 2 inches smaller than originally. I sewed the whole thing up before I noticed. D'oh!

I've made a little progress on the helmet. I drilled holes for mounting screws and covered some bad seam lines and air pockets with Apoxy Sculpt.
20150724_100649.jpg

Also, I know the fin on the comic version is a lot more... rounded, but I really do like the look of this fin so I'm going with an amalgamation of the two looks overall.

Also formed my lenses. I'm using 4 inch dark green transparent acrylic pieces.
PhotoGrid_1437777645502.jpg

Last edited:
I did about 90-95% of the paint job I want. Still need to go back with some gold paint or Rub & Buff to bring out some highlights.

1st wash (half and half black and brown paints)
PhotoGrid_1437933542992.jpg
2nd wash (mostly brown with some black)
PhotoGrid_1437933585742.jpg
3rd wash (brown w/ red and a little black)
PhotoGrid_1437946498033.jpg
and then I sealed it to protect the weathering
PhotoGrid_1437963927164.jpg
Also attached my lenses with epoxy.

I'll get some more gold paint or some Rub & Buff tomorrow to finish it off.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back