Rocketeer comic build

Bondo part 2: the Bondening
20150913_173316.jpg

This batch of Bondo I'm working with is much easier to apply. I think the first can had been in my hot storage unit for too long.

Also been thinking about the pants. I think I'm going to get a pair of larger waist khakis from Old Navy and rework them to the jodhpur shape. The color I'm considering is their Toast shade, which is darker than most costumes I've seen, but so is my jacket so it just might work.
OldNavyKhakis.jpg

Sorry to be posting so much today...

I'm considering using this as the base for my jetpack harness and then covering the exposed straps with faux leather or something. Thoughts?
il_570xN.762807279_3q6q-1.jpg

Sorry to be posting so much today...

I'm considering using this as the base for my jetpack harness and then covering the exposed straps with faux leather or something. Thoughts?
View attachment 528326

I googled it to see what it looks like in the comic, and it seems that the straps run under the bib, have you thought about doing it that way or did you have something else in mind? As an answer to your question though, I don't see why it would even need to be covered honestly, canvas/webbing adds an interesting texture to the overall look IMO and is in-line with military type applications.

edit:eek:kay apparently the straps go under the bib in the movie too, so my first point is moot, but I personally like the look of the webbing vs leather.

comic harness anyone?Harness.jpg

When using aluminum for hand controls, just remember your hand is gonna be bigger than your wrist. I used 1 inch width for under the knuckle band and 1.25 inch for wrist. If you open and close the wrist aluminum it will eventually wear out. Also, if you don't let it pivot it will really restrict your hand motioncontrollpalmar.jpghandthingys.jpg
Gotta find a button to attach

Thanks for the tips JPH. I hadn't seen that picture of the comic harness before. I'm still leaning towards the one I had above.

I'm using 3/4" at the palm and 1" at the wrist. Oh, and for the button, I'm going to laser cut a couple of circles from some 5mm craft foam.

Last edited:
You know... upon further inspection of that image, it's not the comic jetpack at all. That's one of Disney's concept drawings for the movie. In the comic, the jetpack actually looks like it's mounted on a board that the straps are also attached to. I actually already have the board cut and sized to the image I got from the comic.

Another thing about controls: the design varies from page to page slightly, but I'm going off of the drawing Dave Stevens did with the Rocketeer carrying Bettie Page on his back. There's a really good angle of the controls.
controls.PNG
From this angle, I have it designed as a 3/4" wide strap of aluminum around the palm, 2" angled piece across the back, 1" strap around the wrist with a plate that will allow me to remove it and a 1/2" piece that runs down the middle of everything.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back