Rocinante Name Plate from The Expanse

Bobdor

Project-Roci-14.jpg

I just finished binge watching The Expanse during lock down, and I found myself really wanting to make something from the show. I decided on the name plate from the Roci. I figured it was something nice and simple and wouldn't take up a ton of room. The whole project was finished in a weekend so this is a nice one and done, but I took a whole bunch of photos along the way.

Project-Roci-1.jpg

Luckily there are a bunch of really good reference photos out there, and the fonts used were fairly common and easy to determine. I started by replicating the layout and overall dimensions in Adobe Illustrator.

Project-Roci-2.png

My original plan was to 3d print the whole piece so I moved my line art over to SketchUp and got to work. I quickly found three big problems with this approach. First, the biggest 3d printer I have access to is my friend’s CR-10 which has a maximum build size of 300mm and is too small. The second problem is that I would need to break the plate up into two pieces to make it fit; meaning creating joining seams and a lot of extra finishing work. Third, printing each half would take almost 24 hours each due to the massive surface area. Instead, I was convinced by the same friend to simply laser cut the pieces out of 1/8” MDF which would take a whopping 20 minutes.

Project-Roci-3.jpg

Luckily, it was very easy to export my original Illustrator artwork out into SVG files for the laser cutter. The whole plate is made out of three sheets of 1/8” MDF. One sheet for the letters, and two glued together to make up with 1/4″ back plate with recessed holes for the mounting bolts.

Project-Roci-4.jpg

With everything in hand, I glued the two base plates together and then carefully used the “letter discard piece” as a template to glue each letter into place individually.

Project-Roci-5.jpg

This part took a few hours and a lot of patience. I would place the template down, and then glue two letters into place using thin superglue. Then, remove the template and wait for everything to dry before repeating.

Project-Roci-6.jpg

Here is the completed glue up. You can’t see it here too well, but my fingers are absolutely caked with superglue at this point.

Project-Roci-7.jpg

The next thing to do was lightly sand the whole piece and give in a good thick coat of gloss black to seal everything together.

Project-Roci-8.jpg

The piece was left to sit for about 24 hours to dry. Then I painted the whole thing with Rust-Oleum gray hammered finish paint. This gave the whole piece a nice slight texture to make it better resemble metal.

Project-Roci-9.jpg

Here is an up-close of the texture.

Project-Roci-10.jpg

Next I gave the whole piece a final rubdown with powdered graphite to really sell the metal look, and a clear coat of aqua gloss to seal it all together.

Project-Roci-11.png

For the corner bolts, I created a quick model in SketchUp. The bolts each contain a small 5mm magnet which attaches to the screw used to hold the plate to the wall.

Project-Roci-12.jpg

Here is the completed bolt head printed on my resin printer ready for paint and weathering.

Project-Roci-13.jpg

The plate was giving a light weathering with black acrylics.

Project-Roci-15.jpg

With everything done, I hung it on the wall of my work room. The completed piece is 14” x 10-1/4” and I think really looks the part. This was a nice quick build and only took three days from start to finish and most of that was watching paint dry.

Thanks for looking! I posted this on my website too if anyone is curious to see my other projects.

Last edited:
They totally dropped the ball and should have included "You take care of her, she'll take care of you."

Great job ! This looks really good.
BTW, I looked at your site, and I like your different steps by steps.
Keep it on :)

That looks really nice! I am trying figure out what things to display in my new office and workshop and thought about doing a patch shadow-box but I like this idea a lot, and would go better with the ships that Eaglemoss is planning on putting out for The Expanse. Any chance you would be posting or sharing the files?

That looks really nice! I am trying figure out what things to display in my new office and workshop and thought about doing a patch shadow-box but I like this idea a lot, and would go better with the ships that Eaglemoss is planning on putting out for The Expanse. Any chance you would be posting or sharing the files?

I can. I made STLs for the whole thing and the corner rivets. And I ultimately made everything into SVG files for the laser cuts.
My ultimate dream/goal would be to cast it and make/sell resin plates. But I am not well versed on the whole trademark world to know if something like that is even legal. Etsy people seem to get away with a lot of stuff, somehow.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back