Robotic Right hand of doom idea

Volks

For Halloween last year I decided to do Hellboy. Got the RHoD made in around 10 days using foam floor mats and gap filler foam. Got me thinking about doing it for NYCC this year, but with a hand that is capable flexing. Saw some unfinished ideas already posted on here, and got some insight from instructables for the robotics, and going with a puppet approach was using more force than anticipated.

This is my build from last year:

Skeletal Structure Foam (Vert View) Foam (Horiz View) Carving Final
20161020_000408.jpg20161022_131608.jpg20161023_112937.jpg20161027_114239.jpg20161030_023941.jpg

Final dimensions are (and yes I know they are huge, I'm taller than Perlman) :

Arm:
16 inches (40.64 cm) long
Bands are 10 inches (25.4 cm) wide
Forearm is 8 inches (20.32 cm) wide

Hand (measures are approx)
At tip of knuckles 12 inches (30.48 cm) wide
At base (without thumb) 14 (35.56 cm) inches wide
12 inches (30.48 cm) long

Weighs under 3 pounds (1.5 kg)

So as far as robotics are concerned I have absolutely no experience, but I plan on having the necessary components (minus battery packs) inside the hand. Rotation for the wrist will be created by the handle that will also control the fingers.

While I am keen to see where you go with 'Robotics' and 'Battery packs' etc, it seems to me that you could achieve the required results with something as simple as ---->

http://tinkersphere.com/427-thickbox_default/robotic-hand-kit.jpg

If you attached the square support into the wrist mechanism, simply turning your own hand inside 'the arm part of the RHoD' would make the wrist/hand turn.

To be honest, I hope you go with robotics, I will enjoy watching your progress. But the above just sprang to mind.

While I am keen to see where you go with 'Robotics' and 'Battery packs' etc, it seems to me that you could achieve the required results with something as simple as ---->

If you attached the square support into the wrist mechanism, simply turning your own hand inside 'the arm part of the RHoD' would make the wrist/hand turn.

To be honest, I hope you go with robotics, I will enjoy watching your progress. But the above just sprang to mind.
This is what I was imagining as well.. The robotics would be a nice touch though as well as a great first time experience with this sort of thing. If I were you I would ask around for other RPF'rs in your​ area that would be willing to teach you hands-on.

I was originally going to do something like the link, but my current hand is too bulky: 3/4 inch pvc pipe, with clear tubing for the fingers which are not close to final.
20170518_222043.jpg20170518_222050.jpg20170518_222103.jpg

I'm hoping to essentially redo the entire hand, with the exception of the initial joints. and making a plastic enclosure for when I eventually get to mount the servos.
And I do like the idea of inserting the handle to the arm for rotation of the hand. Might hold onto this one just to try out a version from the link.

This is what I was imagining as well.. The robotics would be a nice touch though as well as a great first time experience with this sort of thing. If I were you I would ask around for other RPF'rs in your​ area that would be willing to teach you hands-on.

Never thought of doing a post looking for people to teach me. Probably a bunch of RPF'rs in my area that could help.

I've been busy brainstorming on this. I think I know what to do now. I have some foam sheets that were used as packing material, so they are not as dense as the floor mats. Going to take the "bone" structure I already made and just use the lighter foam for the entire hand wrist up. Benefit of going to the lighter foam is I can now use string/wire to pull the fingers. Will post some pics of how the fingers were set up.

Finally had a chance to get working on this. The forearm skeleton is done along with the hand "foam & pvc sandwich"

To do list (Before gap filler can be applied) :
True up the lines for the fingers
wrap hand and arm in yoga mat
find a sheet of wood to craft the handle and wrist plate

photo dump when I get done with work

I'll be following this one! This is on my to do list. My thought was to 3d print the Skelton/mechanism and then clad it in foam.
My concern is getting the flexibility in the fingers one they are clad. Maybe a thin craft foam?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'll be following this one! This is on my to do list. My thought was to 3d print the Skelton/mechanism and then clad it in foam.
My concern is getting the flexibility in the fingers one they are clad. Maybe a thin craft foam?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

For the foam on the hand and fingers it is 1/2 inch thick shipping foam. Its flexible enough, only downside is that it really doesn't like heat seeing as how it tends to melt if the hot glue is too hot.

The skin for the hand is a very thin and crappy yoga mat.

Update for the build:
Kinda screwed up, the pvc I have been using for the fingers does not really bend as well as I thought it would. More than likely due to the additional materials (yoga wrap on the fingers), so I'm reconsidering the shape for the finger "bones". Might just pick up one of those artist hand sculptures, increase the dimensions to what is needed, and make them out of wood or find somebody to 3D print them.

Notes for those interested in building their own:
Always check the orientation of the hand, the top (finger nail) needs to be connected to the hand for flexing. Through my own error/drunken stupidity, I almost ended up doing a left hand :cry. Positioning the eyelet anchors (3/32 screw dia.), is on the bottom of the hand, and goes in a pattern of 1(towards 2)/ 2 /1(towards 2)/1(hand). the thumb gets them on the left in the same pattern minus one of the anchors. Wiring is run thru the top "bone" on the same side as anchors, then hot glued in place.

Great work so far. Kind of a side note, I've always wondered, how does a stone hand...well, flex? They never really address it. :lol

Great work so far. Kind of a side note, I've always wondered, how does a stone hand...well, flex? They never really address it. :lol

Since it also Grew over time, it would have to magically mimic living flesh at least in some manner.

got the finger bones redesigned. Going with a basic trapezoid 7cm long on the bottom (side attached to the hand), 1cm on the top (where the anchors are), and 3cm high. That shape will be used for the two (one for the thumb) lower bone structures. The top bone gets the same 45 degree cuts as the trapezoids, but with only 1 side being cut, resulting in the top being 4cm long. I'm hoping that with the size of the gap between the bones they will fully flex if the are lined up. If it all goes well, the fingers will eventually get a foam wrap with cuts at the joints for a full effect.

I was literally just about to post that video. It has a nice looking puppet mechanism inside.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

i'm thinking of just fully replicating the hand Odin made, but adjusting it to fit in the forearm I have already made. Elastic will also be added under between the foam and the tubing for the fingers on the knuckle side.

Confused85, I plan on attempting your version of the Samaritan. The RHoD should hold be able to hold it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back