Robocop - Dax79's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Dax79

I have decided to make a 1987 Robocop for Halloween. I will make him from EVA foam as my child has it on her floor and the wife wants to get rid of it.

First I googled Robocop and searched the net for inspiration. A week later I decided it was time to start. I have REF pictures, random PEP files and a making of DVD to help me on my way.

IMG_2652.JPG IMG_2653.JPG

My main tools I used are:

Heat Gun
Glue Gun
Hot Knife
Knifes! Stanley blades... Anything sharp!

I started cutting a frame from foam.

IMG_2491.JPG 2.jpg

First issue! I worked out the size of my head but forgot to take the thickness of the foam! AHHHH! I had to make a new one, but my little girl liked her new toy!

IMG_2549.JPG

From here I spend weeks cutting and forming a basic shape to work with using a heat gun and hot knife.

IMG_2694.JPG IMG_4479.JPG

Then disaster.... I live on a island and nobody will send EVA foam to me! I NEED MORE! Time to phone the family on the mainland and see if they can help!

IMG_3290.JPG

Thanks family...

Now, back to it! Once I had a basic shape I used filler to fill in any gaps.

IMG_3282.JPG

Then it was time to buy some bits. I thought the best thing to do for his hands would be to start with a pair of black gauntlets. Then add some EVA to them at bulk them out.

DSC_0035.JPG DSC_0038.JPG

Best if I try the WIP on, don't want to waste time spraying up something that needs cutting up!

DSC_0098 (2).JPG

Things are looking good! I need to cover my neck and add groves. For the neck I got a scuba divers neck flange. Then I got the hot blade out.

DSC_0098.JPG

Now lets look at my AUTO 9. Its a fictional weapon that kicks ass and looks cool. Every boy from the 70's/80's knows this gun! I wanted to make every part of RoboCop but also want some great pictures, with that in mind I decided to make a EVA gun and also buy a resin film replica.

EVA -
I googled the gun, printed out the image and laminated it for both sides. Then I glued the images to the foam block. Quick easy and painless.

DSC_0192.JPG 777777.jpg

RESIN -
I received my prop and it needed sanding. Once smooth and all issues fixed and filled in I primed it. Once primed I painted it with Gun Colt (27003) finishing with Satin (135) Enamel.

77777777.jpg 5555555.jpg

The size is slightly off with the EVA gun but it still looks cool.

Then it needs an undercoat!

DSC_0141.JPG

Once this was done I sanded him for 8 hours.... Now its time to add some color! Now the big issue here is what color is he? Nobody really has a straight answer. This is due to different filming methods and ways the suite was made. I could go for the general public vote... hes a silver/ blue. But really this only happened from 1990 - RoboCop 2.

I talked to a friend who works with a very clever computer, like with photoshop it can take an image and mix a paint according to the match. For any die hard fans you know he is not blue in 87' he is 'FORD T8 STANDARD'

Some people will say I have picked the wrong color but I want a Peter Weller not Robert John Burke...

DSC_0051.JPG DSC_0095~2.jpg

Once he was all sprayed up It was time to leave him standing 12 hours.

DSC_0102.JPG

I used 2 balloon pumps for the piston down the back of his legs then added screws to all the panels.

DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0024.JPG

So thats the build! I will post a full finished picture soon and I hope you like what I have done! Any questions feel free to message me or add to the thread!

Dax79... YOUR MOVE CREEP! And if you wish to see this Costume I will be at London Comic-Con October 2014, Day 3 Sunday!

Dax79 spectacular craftsmanship, pretty detailed project, specially seeing that the costume is made out of foam. You should also post a link at the

robocoparchive.com the guys over there would surely love to see this current project.

Keep us posted with more amazing pictures.

Dax79 spectacular craftsmanship, pretty detailed project, specially seeing that the costume is made out of foam. You should also post a link at the

robocoparchive.com the guys over there would surely love to see this current project.

Keep us posted with more amazing pictures.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm glad you like my attempt, I hope he gets lots of love from the fans!

I have emailed robocoparchive and I hope to get some feedback form the fans over there. They have a great site that I used allot during my research days....

I will have a photo shoot next week and will add a set here. I will also have a full set of the shoot on my facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Dax79Cosplay

Adding more Screws!

Just been adding some last parts to my Costume.
11111.jpg 2222222.jpg

I have added over 100 screws to the suit. During my investigation on where the screws go I found it so funny how many different suites must have been used during the movie. I noticed that the screws change from rivets to screws, in one shot they are Allen key screws and in some shots the shoulder clips disappeared from time to time! One thing I wanted to add that other Cosplayers don't, are the under clips. He has 4 clips ether side that hold his chest to the under suite.

What do you think?

2423243.jpg

Seeing as you're introduced as dax79 in the video I'm going to accept this as proof. However you may be asked for a proper proof pic in future if the other mods deem it necessary.

This entry is complete. :thumbsup

I SAW YOOOOUUUUU You were great! I remember laughing in the queue because of the squeaky sounds :lol

Yeah! If I heard one more person ask if I needed any WD40.... I tell you.....

I'm glad you liked him, I have a new project for next year so I hope you also like whats coming!!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back