Robocop 3 with flight pack from Horizon

Okay, as RoboCop would say, This is a bust!
Way too far out of my comfort zone now. You can't paint a vinyl model in pieces & then assemble it later. And now I find I can't paint over mistakes with this totally useless acrylic silver paint. It's just translucent garbage (ha, and it says 'opaque' on the container).
BUT The test pieces done with paint & primer in one are now bone dry, to my utter surprise. Wow.
SO, I'm Gonna sand Robo some to get rid of some brush strokes, then blast it with Krylon gray paint & primer, let it cure for a few days until bone dry, then hit it with aluminum Krylon or Rustoleum & finish it off like a regular model with mostly enamels & stuff.
Want to see if I can salvage this mess....

Acrylics are for paintings. Grrrrrr

View attachment 1672368
Have you tried Tamiya primer? Maybe test some on a small scrap of the vinyl? I heard it doesn't dry tacky on vinyl.

I think pengbuzz hit on it. Set up a primer test-rig with some scraps and give Tamiya a go. I think you’ll have success with no tackiness after letting it cure for a few days. And in the meantime, that will give you time to reconnoiter and give the copp’er a proper bath :p for round 2!

Back from the art store & bought two more acrylic silvers, the one on the left cost $3, the one on the right cost $12... guess which one looks more nicely opaque in my test just now. Yep, the cheap one. Very opaque. Nice silver too.
We're back, we're bad; you're black, I'm mad!:lol:
20230222_170957.jpg

Back from the art store & bought two more acrylic silvers, the one on the left cost $3, the one on the right cost $12... guess which one looks more nicely opaque in my test just now. Yep, the cheap one. Very opaque. Nice silver too.
View attachment 1672712
A lot of times, thats how it goes. Trial and error....sometimes a LOT of costly error.
Right now I'm fixing up this old Millennium Falcon, adding a few parts, I've already had to redo some parts like 3 times. And then was like, why didn't I do it like that the first time, its much easier and works better.
Well, hopefully it works THIS time and looks great.

View attachment 1672712
I've used the Decoart silver before; that should give you what you're looking for! Hope maybe you can return the other one!

On that note: Decoart, Ceramcoat, Folk Art and Apple Barrel have served me quite well over the years. I use them almost exclusively!

I've used the Decoart silver before; that should give you what you're looking for! Hope maybe you can return the other one!

On that note: Decoart, Ceramcoat, Folk Art and Apple Barrel have served me quite well over the years. I use them almost exclusively!
Doing more tests- the DecoArt silver is so much richer looking than the Liquitex, but painting tape tests show significant lifting whereas the Liquitex stays on perfectly. Next test was painting DecoArt silver over Liquitex (using the Liquitex as a primer, as it were) & SUCCESS! No lifting. This tells me the Liquitex has more bonding properties while the DecoArt has more silver particles. Perfect blend.
And before I get to painting, look what I found in a box- a modified AMT RoboCop 2 car kit made to look like the cars from 3 that I did a decade ago... :p Edit: I have no recollection why I left the interior white....

20230224_195145-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Doing more tests- the DecoArt silver is so much richer looking than the Liquitex, but painting tape tests show significant lifting whereas the Liquitex stays on perfectly. Next test was painting DecoArt silver over Liquitex (using the Liquitex as a primer, as it were) & SUCCESS! No lifting. This tells me the Liquitex has more bonding properties while the DecoArt has more silver particles. Perfect blend.
And before I get to painting, look what I found in a box- a modified AMT RoboCop 2 car kit made to look like the cars from 3 that I did a decade ago... :p Edit: I have no recollection why I left the interior white....

View attachment 1673375
With the decoart: give that at least 48 hours before trying to lift tape from it. It takes twice as long as flat acrylic paint to adhere properly. You can also hit it with a hair dryer on low heat for a minute or two, but be careful of the vinyl.

With the decoart: give that at least 48 hours before trying to lift tape from it. It takes twice as long as flat acrylic paint to adhere properly. You can also hit it with a hair dryer on low heat for a minute or two, but be careful of the vinyl.
Thanks! But bottom line is: it works & looks great! Painting this beast will be like doing a real painting now. It's gonna take a few days. I'll be an actual artist...
bob ross GIF

Last edited:
Finding that car was a sign from the gods! It’s great that you’re having success with the application and blending too. Bob Ross agrees! Also: keep looking through those ol’ boxes - that’s where all of our lost treasures are ;)

Got a proper base silver on with just a tiny bit of metallic blue added. After it dries I'll be adding light washes of blue & purple. The flight pack will be light gray. Also need to wash some dark gray into all those recesses of his...
20230228_145516.jpg
20230228_145549.jpg

In the pic it looks like the perfect amount of iridescence, and hitting it with subsequent layers of topcoats until you find your desired sweet spot sounds like the cherry-on-top! BTW your brush-work is coming out very clean. Man, after all of the earlier frustration I’m glad the paint is working for you! (y)

"I'd Buy That For A Dollar!"​

In the pic it looks like the perfect amount of iridescence, and hitting it with subsequent layers of topcoats until you find your desired sweet spot sounds like the cherry-on-top! BTW your brush-work is coming out very clean. Man, after all of the earlier frustration I’m glad the paint is working for you! (y)

"I'd Buy That For A Dollar!"​

Thanks man! I appreciate that.
Also, I just got my original movie Robo-1 1/24 diecast in the mail today that just came out from Jada. $35 is a great price, get yours now before the scalpers take over... nice quality!
20230301_173848.jpg

I'm basically done painting him, so I stuck window tint on the inside of clear sheet styrene cut to visor dimensions & taped around an x-acto knife handle to curve it slightly while he dries. Yeah, I coulda just painted his visor in, but I'm hoping this gives it a slight, if only subconscious, 3D appearance. Next is the Future wash. That will take a couple hours to dry, but I don't wanna handle him until tomorrow. When I get home from work I'll glue in the visor insert & post finished pictures!

20230307_135717-jpg.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back