Road Fury Steering Wheel! Please help me ID parts.

nux

Sup? I'm new to the forum. I used the search feature but didn't see a thread on this. My son and I saw Fury Road opening day. My son will be driving next year and has his eye on a late 70's 'vette. I thought it would be awesome to recreate Nux's steering wheel for him. I would appreciate any help id-ing the correct parts. I have some rough ideas but no exact pieces yet. Thanks!

steering wheel.jpg

Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Steering-Wheel-Wallpaper.jpg

wheel.png

In the photo I see these parts and hoped you guys could help to id details of the parts and other items I overlook:
Steering Wheel
Baby doll head
CO2 cartridges - could be nitrous cartridges
Tapered Steering bearing
----hopefully that will get the ball rolling?

I look forward to your comments.
Flexible Electrical conduit - steel maybe - 1/2 inch? - nuline aybe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 862
Last edited:
the taper bearing is most likely a car spindle sized one for probably a 30's ford. Most are very similar

The wire conduit is about .25"-.5" fexible conduit something like this albiet this one has the cool end on it also. http://www.semiconduits.com/at.html but you can find the conduit at home stores,
weird thing is that the side of the baby doll head, right cheek, it looks very similar to the base the bobblehead bird is on.

"V" emblem looks like a vintage car part, start looking at Tbirds, some corvette and fords with 289 have something similar.
The horn ring also is vintage I would figure between 1940-1955ish more like a late 40's ring, late 50's rings got more space age than that.

damm, we just threw out a ton of babydoll heads at work, would been a free for all. I was gifted the one creepy one.

I'm pretty sure the v logo is a caddy badge judging by the crest and dots. They had something along those lines in the 50's. In the poster it is there but it is missing in the front screen shot that I assume is from the actual movie. This leads me to believe it is not a part of the horn ring but a stand alone badge. I saw that car show post, but I wasn't sure how similar it was to the movie version it was. I need to take a good look at it.. At first glance it looked like the eye piece is missing from the doll? I have no idea what the gas mask is. I thought in the other photos it looked like a lawn mower carb may be involved...but the picture you shared does not look to support that. Thanks for the quick replies!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Whip cream cartridges look similar, and would contain NOS keeping with the speed rules theme

If you overlay the racing wheel you found over the screen cap it maybe be the same center but the proportion is off. I will post an overlay when i get back in. Maybe a 17" wheel?

Here is the wheel over the posted wheel, it seems the spoke slots are a bit bigger on the screen used.

At 15" overlayed, the scale of the hand is comparable to mine. Its just that the wheel part seems thicker.

Its a good priced "looks like" part.
Mad-Max-Steering-Wheel-Poster-overlay2.jpg
they seem to have 17" wheels also, but it looks like the slots get skinnier.

Last edited:
Whip cream cartridges look similar, and would contain NOS keeping with the speed rules theme

Yeah the size threw me off at first which led me to the 88-90 gram canisters

The larger metal cord looks like it may be from an old pay phone

I was thinking maybe a drain snake/roto rooter but your suggestion sounds better

I have pay phone cord, the cheap metal conduit from the big box store is close to that one. The payphone one has a tighter coil and more of a squared off tube shape. But if you can find payphone conduit, the quality is much better, and they usually are cheap if you find them too.

I have pay phone cord, the cheap metal conduit from the big box store is close to that one. The payphone one has a tighter coil and more of a squared off tube shape. But if you can find payphone conduit, the quality is much better, and they usually are cheap if you find them too.

NUX, I see what you are saying about the close up shot doll eyes, maybe they made multiples for stunt and permanently mounted use?
I think on the sides of the head "gasmask" is actually a car part, it may be a grill tooth or parking light housing.
I leaning towards 1950ish Pontiac horn ring, but from the close up it looks like there is an extra rib withing the large outer ring.

On the V emblem, there is the same amount of deep ribs in both props, 7 dips.

another shot,
steering 2.jpg

Last edited:
Abelugo, that is a really good photo. And harrison I see what you mean about the co2. The threads would also make attaching something much easier as well. I think the gas mask is probably a car part as well. I was looking at u joints with no luck. The welds on the steering wheel in the new photo are not very clean... We may be looking at some customization.. Or at least maybe the welds were redone to give a rougher look?

I figured it was worth a shot so I emailed one of the art directors for the film Jacinta Leong. I have seen interviews where Jacinta actually shared autocad drawings of the gigahorse. I've talked with people who worked on Dexter in this way and gotten polite and helpful replies so I figured an email wouldn't hurt. At any rate, I think we are well on the way to a good enough model here.

Could the main "canister", I guess, of the gasmask be some kind of cap? Like maybe a gas cap, or a hubcap? I'm not the most knowledgeable about cars, but the uniform protrusions around it make it look like something that gets twisted manually.

The second that scene happened I hoped someone would tackle it here on the RPF.

Can't wait to see the project grow. :)

photo.JPGhere is some actual pay phone cable, I got it at a swapmeet for another project a while back, but I still think its regular conduit.

I received a very friendly and polite reply from Jacinta. She was nice enough to forward my question. I have high hopes that I may have a few more prop details to share soon. Just wanted to pass on that update.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back