Riveting Information Requested

eltee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am going to rivet some things on my stormtrooper armor. My "Pop" rivet system leaves a nice, flush rivet head on one side but the other side has this bulbous mushroom shape on it that is inherent with blind side Pop riveting.

What rivet system makes those rivets that are nice and flat on both sides?

THANKS for any help.

I've used what I call a "speed" rivet thats similar to a flat headed screw with a blind (tee) nut that sits flush. When I used to fight in the SCA we used these in our metal armor and held up to being beaten with rattan swords.

You can find them at Tandy Leather.

Originally posted by Darth Mawr@Jan 31 2006, 07:40 PM
I've used what I call a "speed" rivet thats similar to a flat headed screw with a blind (tee) nut that sits flush.  When I used to fight in the SCA we used these in our metal armor and held up to being beaten with rattan swords.

You can find them at Tandy Leather.
[snapback]1173109[/snapback]​

Thanks. I'll try that, there is a Tandy leather store in my town.

I use the aluminum rivits with the washers, and then tap them flat using a ball-peen hammer, and an anvil. Make s nice flush rivet. Cheap, and easy.

Originally posted by Jimbo890@Feb 3 2006, 07:20 AM
I use the aluminum rivits with the washers, and then tap them flat using a ball-peen hammer, and an anvil. Make s nice flush rivet. Cheap, and easy.
[snapback]1175060[/snapback]​

D'oh....such a simple and practical solution and here I am with an anvil sitting in my garage. THANKS. I also like the look of those special screws, the local hardware store call them "Chicago Screws" so now I have two practical solutions. Thanks all.

The surebonder brand of rivets pull "flush" on the back. They used to be sold at wal mart, but you may be able to find them somewhere else.

Originally posted by JUDGE_HELLFAST@Feb 6 2006, 12:32 PM
Try post bolts. They are about 29 cents a piece and can be found at any hardware store. They will do the job nicely and leave a nice flush surface on both sides. They are also nice and strong and won't come apart like most rivets do under stress. Here's a pic for reference:

http://clonetroopers.net/Forum/index.php?a...ype=post&id=853

Hope that helps, bro.
[snapback]1177427[/snapback]​

Some hardware guys might know them as binding posts or sex bolts too ;)

Originally posted by JUDGE_HELLFAST@Feb 8 2006, 07:25 AM
Some hardware guys might know them as binding posts or sex bolts too

:love Yes, indeedy.
[snapback]1178904[/snapback]​

Oh yea...I know what you mean. I mention sex, my wife bolts. :p

Seriously, THANKS to all of you for the great info. I learned alot about rivets, binding posts and "sex bolts." :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back