Rita Skeeter’s Quick Quotes Quill from Harry Potter and the GoF

ATL Kenobi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Recently re-watched Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire and seeing Rita Skeeter’s Quick Quotes Quill again, I thought this would be a cool prop to have. At one time, I’d considered making a full size replica of Fawkes, so I knew the feather shouldn’t be a problem and found them at MoonLight Feathers . After some more searching, I found that RPF member Tammy had started on this prop as well but hasn’t finished it yet. I was also thinking of turning the “pen part” but I couldn’t find a solid apple or acid green colored pen blank. They seemed to be either the wrong color green or they have swirls in them.

Then I came across the already made QQQ prop replica. I remembered seeing the box in the lynx0099 collection, so I figured it was probably a decent replica. There’s also a couple of YouTube video reviews of it. I thought perhaps though, that the feather could be improved. I believe the QQQ replica is only available from the WoHP at Universal, but I was able to get one through eBay. I then ordered some feathers as well.
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I was hoping that the feather in the replica was held in place with hot melt glue, but after 5 minutes heating it with a hair drier and after closer examination, I believe it’s actually Locktight (cyanoacrylic glue) – not something one should heat with a hair drier. So I had to cut it off.
attachment.jpg

I used a small file to smooth off the cut being very careful not to touch the pen part because I believe its painted resin. I then used a Dremel to sort of ream out the remnants of the “old” feather, and also clipped off a bit of the quill of the “new” feather.
attachment.jpg

Using 3M adhesive, I glued in the new feather.
attachment.jpg

Probably took the least amount of time of any prop I've ever made!
ATL

Attachments

• 1 feathers .jpg
    1 feathers .jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 1,644
  • 2 QQQ prop.jpg
    2 QQQ prop.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,724
  • 3 cut it off.jpg
    3 cut it off.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 4 Dremelizing.jpg
    4 Dremelizing.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 5 done.jpg
    5 done.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 1,244
Last edited:
Recently re-watched Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire and seeing Rita Skeeter’s Quick Quotes Quill again, I thought this would be a cool prop to have. At one time, I’d considered making a full size replica of Fawkes, so I knew the feather shouldn’t be a problem and found them at MoonLight Feathers . After some more searching, I found that RPF member Tammy had started on this prop as well but hasn’t finished it yet. I was also thinking of turning the “pen part” but I couldn’t find a solid apple or acid green colored pen blank. They seemed to be either the wrong color green or they have swirls in them.

Then I came across the already made QQQ prop replica. I remembered seeing the box in the lynx0099 collection, so I figured it was probably a decent replica. There’s also a couple of YouTube video reviews of it. I thought perhaps though, that the feather could be improved. I believe the QQQ replica is only available from the WoHP at Universal, but I was able to get one through eBay. I then ordered some feathers as well.
View attachment 1332915

View attachment 1332916

I was hoping that the feather in the replica was held in place with hot melt glue, but after 5 minutes heating it with a hair drier and after closer examination, I believe it’s actually Locktight (cyanoacrylic glue) – not something one should heat with a hair drier. So I had to cut it off.
View attachment 1332917

I used a small file to smooth off the cut being very careful not to touch the pen part because I believe its painted resin. I then used a Dremel to sort of ream out the remnants of the “old” feather, and also clipped off a bit of the quill of the “new” feather.
View attachment 1332918

Using 3M adhesive, I glued in the new feather.
View attachment 1332919

Probably took the least amount of time of any prop I've ever made!
ATL
Hi ATL, Do you by chance still have any of those feathers left? Would love to buy just one of them! I went to the link and saw how much it costs for a bundle, seems a shame when I only need one haha

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back