Rise Of The Tomb Raider/ Tomb Raider Reborn Cosplay Progress

LixCroft

Hi everyone! I have been looking on several thread on this website and finally got the courage to make one myself. Obviously from the title I want to put up my progress for my cosplay! I would love any ideas and suggestions on what I could do better or maybe I missed a detail etc.
I guess I will start from where I did start.

Jacket
I started on this project with wanting to do Lara from the new concept art! I fell in love with the military coat! Well at the time of searching I was lucky to pick up this hot puppy!
hol_81178_01_prod1 (1).jpeg
Besides the pockets everything else is pretty darn accurate to what we have been given via promo and photos I'm a pretty small build but to get the baggy look I went to a size M and boy it paid off! I will hopefully be able to get photos of myself in gear soon enough....
I figured I'd get a leather or a dark cord of some sort to tie around since that is how it is in the concept art. You can see the seams in more detail in the promo.
rise_of_the_tomb_raider1.jpg

Quiver
98629942-B327-45CC-9EF4-12181D8DBD13_zps7rbzveqs.png0CF7BF3C-C096-4B25-9BB5-5CED976F1CD3_zpscihqdgdx.jpg
After about 30 hours plus my friend and I finally constructed the quiver from the promo.
This was made out of PVC, Wood and Suede, E6000, corduroy, rifle sling, leather twine we also made it to be used in real archery/hunting so we put quilt batting on the bottom of the wooden bases for silencing the drop of the arrows.

The PVC was cut with a hack saw and sanded down. Had to use a belt sander to get the shape of the wood to fit. This was a major pain. We ended up measuring these about
17 1/4 inches for accurate length of arrows dropping in. I think this would be adjusted for someone who is either bigger boned of taller possibly though!
D0840A9C-79DB-4B62-BA51-6647ACBEBEA8_zpsyltg9cqk.jpg5A02125B-1BDC-49B2-B3AF-0C97D1D26777_zpsytdsnwvy.jpg
Then after this we put some dark green corduroy for the inside to my the drawing of arrows silent and so you wouldn't see white in the quiver then we sawed some slits into the pvc to put a brown canvas materal to lace through to add some D rings to hold the sling. (We should have done this step BEFORE putting the corduroy in but luckily liquid stitch was easy to remove). I decided to use some old leather rifle slings and put the same hook on this one from the first game since im not sure how this quiver holds onto lara.
4835D575-0E66-4033-80FA-FA4FAE0BB202_zps95cdt646.jpg
We sewed the suede into a pocket like thing (my friend is the seamstress! I am so not!) and slid the dark brown over the PVC
A6F4170D-D927-4B2A-AF9E-FAF5D7283134_zps8ak8y6po.jpg71D38F75-8B7F-438F-AB7A-5244D8507C80_zpsuvptkuy9.jpg(I know this photo makes it look green but its not!)
After this we finally made little light suede mini pockets. Aligned them right then put E6000 adhesive on them to set them in and for the top of the quiver as well
BFD45D52-C738-4784-9CF5-EF1EB6CE76C1_zpsjybw8cvy.jpg
After this was all dry and what not took it out to the archery range near town and it works perfectly. In the photo above you can seem the imperfections... luckily these are on the back so its unseen. But, I may end up remaking this honestly. I haven't put the twine on there yet for the final details. I will post them when I can! I do plan on making the first tomb raider quiver as well but... not to where its as functional as this one. This honestly was a big pain. I feel like we rushed at the end though but live and learn.
A6DE6033-54B5-42D4-ADFD-A1FAA972BEF9_zps1wl7eq53.jpg

Holster
I found someone online he is on ebay and etsy called UnchartedLeather who is currently working on my holster however he has comissioned for someone before the same thing and it is AMAZING. I grabbed the photo he showed me of what it would look like and in my opinion it is stunning. Made from real leather along with a pretty penny in cost. But, it was worth it!
Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/UnchartedLeather?ref=l2-shopheader-name
4472661D-FF94-4EBD-B625-5B49AD36AB6B_zpsnob13dt6.png

Ice Axe
So caved on this, I did buy the DMM Rebel however currently it has the Hammer piece, I just ordered the Adze add on. I do plan to try to make a mold and resin cast it since I dont believe the lovely JennCroft is selling her molds anymore. Please correct me if im wrong on this!!!!
67C6915A-D51D-4876-9838-5C47CED42188_zpshlaic0mz.jpg

Walkie Talkie
This is actually what I just finished up on :)
Got a pair of Midland GXT. Grabbed some yellow acrylic paint and went at it!
592E6274-A123-4BD7-8AA8-8E77C8B11157_zpsunx0kmwk.jpg
I was curious if anyone knows a good clear coat that would hold up this pretty nicely without hurting the walkie.

Pants
I know this has been freaking terribly debated but seriously what is the actual color?! I snagged a cheap pair of olive pants on ebay. (they arent here yet but...ya know) I am worried though on the color not being right. I guess I could use them for clean lara. Since in the promo seems like brown is the color the stuck with for the next game and the render from the last game always seems brown/tan! any help on this part would be LOVED!
a0eU0000000gezqIAA.jpgmUQ_bmUQFqMN5Bve-O2d95g.jpg

Shoes
Ebay has seriously been a life savor at this point on good findings. I was able to snag a pair of official timberland charles street boots! They are the dark brown color. I honestly got a lucky pull considering they were my size which I could not believe!
shoes_iaec1106058.jpg

Journal
The journal I got its from Barnes and Nobel for $30
I have decided to write the entires in the journal from the game. Maybe write some fake entries before the ones from Yamatai or something. I do plan to put a map and such in there
1C7DB4AF-B34F-41EC-A2F8-0F6DD627EAB3_zpsygsryww3.jpg4AB62333-5B47-45F8-9A91-0BDC4DD52171_zps8frzvsiy.jpg

Rope Ascender
I thought this was one of the neatest things in the game so I wanted to put it into my cosplay. I ordered a RollNlock rope ascender. I think it looks pretty similar to the games
DEE602BA-6F92-4B0A-AEE7-D2FD4EDA2153_zpskyjxtgkh.jpg

I wanted some thoughts on if this was a good idea as well, I am a HUGE final fantasy fan and I think Lightning is pretty tight, I enjoyed her games sort of. But I adore the official SE pendants they made of that darn series! So I was considering doing the DLC from LR. What do you guys think? I dont wanna make that ugly shield so I dont think I will but I thought it might be neat
4D6FA744-11EC-4510-A5B3-3D519C129CB0_zpsdlcpfag4.jpg

Please let me know what you think! I do hope to soon have photos of everything together! I hope I will make a good Lara! I am very excited as she has been my role model since a little one! All ideas and comments are welcomed and loved!

Last edited:
You're off to a great start. Welcome to the forums! :D

Where did you order your Adze from? My Rebel has the hammer end too. I need to finally swap it out.

Thank you!!!!!
Im glad to hear that! :D
I got my adze piece from 123Mountain!
Here is the link: http://www.123mountain.com/rebel-anarchist-adze-dmm

This is where I also got my rope ascender! :) Not bad in pricing for both if you ask me. I just loosened the bolts on my Rebel today. IT WAS TOUGH. I warn ya! Have fun with loosening them. Haha!

I am excited to come onto RPF. It looks like a fantastic website! Hope to get into a great community!

I forgot to add this!
Watch
For the watch I didn't want to pay the mega bucks on a G-shock (those babies are high but from what I've seen I think thats what the 'official' one is. Not entirely sure on this.
But instead I got a G-SHORS mens sport watch for like... $9 after shipping. Looks pretty dang close, water resistant etc. I'll eventually try to get a shock but for now this is a good beginner one
smiley.png

I took a pocket knife and just scrapped a little (did the same on my walkie to scratch out Midland) i'll distress it more later but thought it was a good start

5C38470A-65C5-46FF-8EBC-FADE2D7FA46D_zpso6ixkc7x.jpg

Does anyone have any good ideas about Lara's rope? It seems like climbing rope but that stuff is expensive!!! I know paracord is and option but I'm afraid it might be too thin. Thoughts?
Thank you!

That would be AWESOME if she could! Im kinda at a loss really on what to do with it. I know store bought typical paracord is like 3mm, but it seems to me Lara's seems much thicker than that from what I seen in the photo
970613_10152830493995035_1017413489_n (1).jpg looks more like a 7mm or 9mm type of rope. Which I believe is repelling rope.

So after thinking about this, I dont think im going to use the necklace that came with the guide. It seems awfully bulky to me and in game Lara's seems much smaller. I think I will go with a piece Maori Koru NZ jade.
I went to NZ years ago and lucky for me picked up a piece of jade! Looks the same and I think it is a koru of some type... I will still probably use this piece anyways due to the meaning of it. But I've seen on ebay some lighter jade koru that have more swirls for a decent price.
What do you all think? :)
16F6E8F7-08C2-46F7-84EB-CE9098CB02C3_zpsxfgcre0h.jpg

Still on my quest for the rope~! Thank you JennCroft for all the wonderful guidance on resin and recommendation for the rope!

That looks great! And it holds to the "spirit" of the game piece just fine. Sometimes accuracy can be really important. Other times it's overrated, and that looks much better than what came with the guide anyway. :thumbsup

Great build thus far!

And I absolutely LOVE the journal you selected. :)

And good call going with a G-SHORS watch in place of shelling out the money or a G-SHOCK. I'm doing the exact same thing with a build of the watch from the upcoming Tom Clancy game, "The Division" (especially since in my case, I need to modify it).

GREAT CATCH Division! Oh my word! I didn't even notice that. Your screen caps are amazing! Will have to maybe work on that a bit tomorrow! :) Still have to even finishing up on my journal entries! Maybe take a knife and lightly do some carving? Any suggestions?

My friend (who helped me make the quiver) and I have decided a plan to make the arrows. From what i've seen those feathers are turkey feathers and the luxuries of being a hunter in real life and having turkey ground to go hunt im gonna try to hunt one and make use of more of the animal this year that way :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Keelan562!!! Yeah the G-Shors are by far the easier way to go. I've already invested a lot into this project money and time wise so I couldn't justify to drop a couple benjamins on a watch at this point (maybe when I finish this year of college :D)

The journal I got is at Barnes and noble right here http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/hom...nal-with-tie-5-x-7/22796114?ean=9781402811951

It was a bit pricey than I anticipated but the size and look was unbeatable! :)

Oh! By the way pinder91! The adze to the DMM shipped today which means that site does have them in stock! :) So make sure you go get yourself one!

My first set of olive pants will be here hopefully monday, then the timberlands will be here tuesday so hopefully I can get some sort of photo on here of myself in some LC gear :) I still have yet to get the tanks, but thats the least of my worries! Im a bit ctorn on what pistol to get... I am always a die hard beretta fan but the 1911 Remington is hard to pass up.

Last edited:
I had started a Journal thread in the paper prop section but no one seemed interested in contributing so I've been doing research on my own.
I have several of the found crew entries written out and am still working on what I want at the beginning with Sam first telling Lara about Yamatai and some of their adventures mentioned in game.
Biggest problem will be getting the entries written out in Japanese, Chinese, German and Russian.

If you haven't done so yet, I suggest going through Lady Nerds Lara thread, there is lot's of good information in it.
link

- - - Updated - - -

If you are interested, here's a link to my Flickr album.

Yeah! I've thought about doing that as well!!!!! Since I guess technically she collects the entries but i'm not sure on that... my friend speaks Japanese and Chinese but damn the Russian would be tough. If you want, send me the stuff for german, Chinese and Japanese. I can get it translated for you perfectly I know people who are born from all those countries and speak english as well. I just don't know off the top of my head who is what nationality in just reading the journals.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the russian ones too, my buddy knows someone from russia too! XD or I guess I can hop on to the wiki and check myself but if I get them translated i'd most certainly put them up here!

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you could always do google translate, unless you're wanting mega accuracy.

Yeah! I've thought about doing that as well!!!!! Since I guess technically she collects the entries but i'm not sure on that... my friend speaks Japanese and Chinese but damn the Russian would be tough. If you want, send me the stuff for german, Chinese and Japanese. I can get it translated for you perfectly I know people who are born from all those countries and speak english as well. I just don't know off the top of my head who is what nationality in just reading the journals.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and the russian ones too, my buddy knows someone from russia too! XD or I guess I can hop on to the wiki and check myself but if I get them translated i'd most certainly put them up here!

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you could always do google translate, unless you're wanting mega accuracy.

PM me your email and I will send you the text's from the game.
In game they use modern Japanese for the Generals note Lara finds in the Katana but in reality the Japanese (General, Hoshi) and Chinese (ambassador) should be in ancient Kanji circa 300 CE (AD)

For the engraving on the journal wet the areas to be worked with a damp cloth or sponge ( best to use some wax paper inside to protect the paper) once wet use a pointed object to press in the lines (styles, pointed stick, sculpting tool, etc)

I painted the "C" with watered down black acylic then once dried lightly sanded the edges of the leather to make it look warn.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back