RIP: Toys 'R' Us in Times Sq.

Probe Droid

Master Member
Due to skyrocketing rent ($2500 per sq ft!!!), Toys 'R' Us is closing its big store in Times Square. A shame. Beautiful, fun place. Wonderful displays. I'm sure a bunch of you must have visited even if you don't live here. Times Square won't be the same without it.

I loved that store, when I went to NY I would browse at around 10pm, nothing like toy shopping late at night :D

Damn. I visited it in 1999 and then again in 2000. I was not too impressed with it since it was smaller than I had expected and due to the internet the toys they had were no surprise to me, like it would have been in the early 1990ies. I guess it´s just a question of time until retailers will be driven out of the cities due to the rent. I do wonder though what kinds of businesses can make that kind of rent money ...

It's one of the first stores I visited when I was at Times Square last year and I had a great time. I spent some time in the morning but came back late in the evening to browse the store more leisurely.

Thankfully it's been reported that they will still maintain a presence in the area by moving the store down the street.

I remember when that area looked like the Movie" Taxi driver"

Me too. 42nd St. from 6th to 9th used to be a' "wretched hive of scum and villainy" as a wise man said. Sleazy in all caps. You took your life in your hands if you walked in Bryant Park. Seeing it now you'd never believe how bad it was.

The landlord will probably open up a CheeseCake factory on the ground floor and who knows what on the second floor. The basement will probably be a another separate renter.

I know it's not quite on the same level as being on Times Square, but here in Kansas City, MO, we have the Country Club Plaza, filled with high end stores. The Sharper Image store was a favorite of mine to visit, and when they went under it kind of hurt, since it was my kind of store. I can imagine how you NYer's feel losing the TRU. Sorry to hear it's gone.

Sad to hear. It was a great store to visit. Is Virgin records still there? (I have not been to NYC for a few years.)

Last edited:
I need to buy that JP T-rex!

One last look. Not a great pic, but.... I shot this in 2009.
16717657040_c89ca429af_b.jpg

If rent keeps going up there I do not blame them for moving.
"Retail rents along Fifth Avenue from 49th to 60th Streets are the highest in the world, averaging $3,500 per square foot for ground-floor space"

If rent keeps going up there I do not blame them for moving.
"Retail rents along Fifth Avenue from 49th to 60th Streets are the highest in the world, averaging $3,500 per square foot for ground-floor space"

They're gonna be pissed when everyone decides its too much and moves to NJ and makes that the new Manhattan :lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back