RIP Ray Harryhausen

Re: Rest in Peace Ray Harryhousen

Through my tears, I wish for the last of the true old Masters to rest in peace. Goodbye Ray. Thank you.

A little boy seeing King Kong has an epiphany and grows up to create a film legacy unlike any other. A guy like that comes only once. Lucas, Spielberg, Cameron, and countless others are all his stepchildren. No doubt his work will continue to inspire long after today.

Very sad news :( I loved all of his films, The Valley Of Gwangi was my Jurassic Park as a kid. And Mighty Joe Young was a great character, I swear that puppet had more range than some actors :lol

Ray Harryhausen, maker of monsters, creator of creatures, builder of beings, and motivator of motion. RIP, and thanks for all the magic.

I got to meet him once back in the mid-90's, so I can proudly say I shook the hand that animated all those models.

Can't find the pics from that meeting, so instead I have made this graphic for my FB cover page.

468327_393712990742270_1647895976_o.jpg

Alex

Well the three great friends are reunited now: Ray Harryhausen, Ray Bradbury and Forry Ackerman. Each amazing separately, but watching them together, even as octogenarians, was like watching three middleschoolers geeking out about the great old films. Of the three, Harryhausen was the gentlest and humblest. He was very slow to understand the profound and lasting effect he has had on all the great genre filmmakers of our time, even after all of the tributes heaped upon him by Spielberg, Lucas, Del Toro, Jackson, Cameron, etc., etc.

On a selfish note, I hope his passing will stimulate a broad rediscovery of his creations and we'll see plenty of new and old resin kits to celebrate his amazing career!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
My favorite SF convention I ever attended, the GOH's were Ray Harryhausen, Ray Bradbury, Forrest J. Ackerman and Julius Schwartz.

To this day, my wife swears I was so high on Cloud 9 that my feet didn't touch the floor the entire weekend.

I got to meet him once back in the mid-90's, so I can proudly say I shook the hand that animated all those models.

Me too, he was fantastic to meet. My reaction to this news was an involuntary moan of 'noooooooo!'.

Still, 92 is pretty good going.

Ta-ra, then, Ray.

Always thought it a shame that Hollywood never got Ray together with a topflight director and scriptwriter. Actually, it's a crime, the way he was left in B-movie-land. Thank God for Schneer at least. On the other hand, it is gratifying for FX fans that movies that would otherwise have sunk without trace have been raised to the level of classics by critics purely for the visionary power of the effects sequences. Ray's genius is thus put in greater relief than if he'd been one element in films that were all-round masterpieces. So perhaps it's better this way; the status of FX is raised, and a sequence such as the Jason skeleton fight or the waking of Talos is acknowledged as stand-alone art.

This and pretty much Ray's whole career goes against the received wisdom that effects are there only to tell a story. Ray's entire film-constructing process works the other way: the story is only there to tell the effects. The reason Ray is God is because the effects are so good, so deeply channelled into the dream-centres of our minds, that he gets a free pass for breaking this rule, and hell, we just don't care about sitting through 20 minutes of mediocrity to get to the giant octopus tearing down the bridge. I'd say that about no other FX man or FX house.

King of creature FX from 1949 to 1993, when he was finally toppled from his throne. But the new king quickly began to grate on the people's nerves, and they looked once more to the old...

One of the gods. R.I.P.

Very very sad news
Another legend that will be missed. A true master that inspired so many of today's top directors and FX creators
The man that made all those monsters I saw in movies when I was a kid
THANK you Ray for all those wonderful moments you've given us
May you rest in peace

Quite the Master. I remember as a kid I could not, for the life of me, figure out how those Sinbad movies were done. Totally blew me away!!

Was so sad to hear this yesterday. Like so many others i grew up watching Ray's films and it got me messing with plasticine ans drawing. R.I.P Ray. You will be greatly missed.

RH lived a good long life but it's always sad to read we've lost such an artist. His work on film thrilled many of us as children.
The passing of Ray Harryhausen is a loss to us all. RIP

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back