RIP Jerry Doyle

Riceball

Master Member
2016 strikes again, Jerry Doyle of B5 fame has died at the relatively young age of 60. He was found unresponsive in his Vegas home, cause of death is unknown at this time.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-dead-age-60-unresponsive-Las-Vegas-home.html

He was great as Garibaldi and later on he became a talk show/radio host speaking on common sense and conservative matters and I really appreciated the breath of fresh air that he brought with his views, views that were so different from most other Hollywood celebrities. RIP Mr. Doyle, you'll be missed.

You got yours posted while I was still typing mine...

Babylon 5 has lost a number of actors well before their time... :(

A story I heard a while back - at some convention where Doyle was a guest, he happened on a group of folks playing poker. They invited him to sit in on the game.

It ended up with him winning most of their money. Before they could get up to leave, Doyle handed their money back. The guys protested, saying he'd won it fair and square.

He then explained to them that before getting into acting, he had been a stockbroker, and had put away a considerable amount of "F you!" money. If he didn't like a job, he could tell them "F you!" and walk away. The money he'd won was their convention money, and they were going to take it back and enjoy the convention.

Last edited:
Yeah, B5 is associated with a "curse," basically. It's a shame, but way too many of their main cast died before their time.

Now Jerry Doyle is added to that list.

:(

JMS posted this:

When it came to politics, Jerry Doyle and I disagreed on, well, pretty much everything. Politically, Jerry was just to the right of Attila the Hun. There is a line in Babylon 5 where his character, Michael Garibaldi, suggests that the way to deal with crime is to go from electric chairs to electric bleachers. That line is quintessential Jerry Doyle. I say this with confidence because I overheard him saying it at lunch then stole it for the show.
Despite our differences, when Jerry ran for congress as a Republican not long after Babylon 5 ended, I donated to his campaign. Not because I agreed with him, but because I respected him; because there was one area in which we agreed: the vital intersection between the arts of acting and storytelling. In that respect, Jerry was a consummate professional. Regardless of whatever was going on in his life, whether it was marital issues, a broken arm, forced couch-surfing with Bruce and Andreas or other problems, he never once pulled a prima donna on us; he showed up every day on time, knew his lines, and insisted that the guest cast live up to the standards of the main cast, to the point of roughing up one guest star who showed up not knowing his lines. Trust me when I say that after Jerry got done with him, every day he showed up, he knew his lines. And then some.

He was funny, and dangerous, and loyal, and a prankster, and a pain in the ass; he was gentle and cynical and hardened and insightful and sometimes as dense as a picket fence...and his passing is a profound loss to everyone who knew him, especially those of us who fought beside him in the trenches of Babylon 5. It is another loss in a string of losses that I cannot understand. Of the main cast, we have lost Richard Biggs, Michael O'Hare, Andreas Katsulas, Jeff Conaway, and now Jerry Doyle, and I'm ********* tired of it.

So dear sweet universe, if you are paying attention in the vastness of interstellar space, take a moment from plotting the trajectory of comets and designing new DNA in farflung cosmos, and spare a thought for those who you have plucked so untimely from our ranks...and knock it off for a while.

Because this isn't fair.

And Jerry Doyle would be the first person to tell you that. Right before he put a fist in your face. Which is what I imagine he's doing right now, on the other side of the veil.

J. Michael Straczynski
Executive Producer
Babylon 5

Last edited by a moderator:
B5 was a show that I only caught bits and pieces of a few episodes here and there... and was sucked in. loved this show. r.i.p. jerry :cry

Jerry's portrayal of Garibaldi was what kept me watching Babylon 5 during the first season. As a life long Star Trek fan, I was unsure of the other "space-station" show on TV during the time of Deep Space Nine.
I saw a few episodes, and nothing really reached out and grabbed me about the show except for the character of Garibaldi.
Yes the aliens on the show were really cool, not like the standard "forehead" of the week aliens on the Trek shows, and Claudia was very easy to look at, but overall the show didn't really make me want to come back every week and watch it. The few episodes I did see were always better when they featured Jerry a lot.
So, I started watching more often and by the end of the first season I was hooked. And by the end of the shows 5 year run, it had become my favorite TV show of all time. And Garibaldi my favorite character.
I had the privilege of meeting Jerry a few times at some cons, and he was always very approachable, and nice to the fans. Even after sitting behind a table signing autographs for hours.
It really sucks that I won't have that opportunity to meet him again.

RIP Jerry.

I just bought the first season of B5 and started watching if on Monday. First time I've seen it in years. What a shame so many members of the cast are gone. Rest in peace Jerry.

That DAMN CURSE!!

Absolutley horrible news, he was one helluva racounteur and had some very cool storys when I met him certainly down to earth.

What a terrible loss to lose him so young!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back