RIP Don Matthys / DLM

mkstewartesq

Sr Member
Had not seen it posted here but just learned that Don Matthys, longtime maker of amazing graphics and aftermarket parts for Trek kits and others under the name DLM - Don’s Light & Magic passed away a few days ago.

I’ve been out of the model scene for many years now but I used his amazing graphics to build some award winning ships from the Ertl Ent-A and Reliant back in the early 2000s, and I know he was still in business almost 20 years later, though his health had begun to affect his shipping times in the past few months. This is a big loss for the hobby.

Obit.

M

That is very sad. I had the pleasure recently to get a mask for my Enterprise D and be able to talk to him about a few things. He had great products. He will be missed in the community.

Hats off to Don, especially for stepping up to serve. Peace to his family. In this world, if you can make complete strangers happier and their lives brighter, you've done it right.

I bought a couple of his refit and TOS 22 inch up grade kits and glad I did, really improved the model. I called him once to ask him if I could just buy a couple of his castings explaining that I was going to use the lower sensor dome from the Reliant on the AMT Refit, there was a long pause, then I heard him say, "oh that won't look good," in a rather disgusted tone. :) Sorry he is gone.

Had not seen it posted here but just learned that Don Matthys, longtime maker of amazing graphics and aftermarket parts for Trek kits and others under the name DLM - Don’s Light & Magic passed away a few days ago.

I’ve been out of the model scene for many years now but I used his amazing graphics to build some award winning ships from the Ertl Ent-A and Reliant back in the early 2000s, and I know he was still in business almost 20 years later, though his health had begun to affect his shipping times in the past few months. This is a big loss for the hobby.

Obit.

M
The fact that I just got into modelling and learned this amazing resource is gone...saddens me.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back