RIP Bob Anderson

steveo

Sr Member
It is with great sadness that we report that Bob Anderson, the man behind the lightsaber fights in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and legendary swordplay in countless other films, has died at the age of 89. We had the very great pleasure of working with Bob numerous times over the years and always found him to be a gentleman, a professional and a legend. It was a privilege to know him and our thoughts are with his family and loved ones at this sad time. RIP Silverblade Bob.

Sad news. RIP Bob.

Sorry to hear this news. His sword fight choreography was fantastic. It was sad that he didn't get more credit immediately for all his great work, but glad Mark Hamill made sure he got the credit he deserved.

Bob Anderson is one of my heroes. As a teen and as an adult, I would notice his name in the credits of all the good sword fighting movies, listed as swordmaster. I use to dream about being taught swordplay by him when I was younger. He was in the Darth Vader suit for the fight scenes in the OT SW movies, he taught Arnold how to use a sword for Conan the Barbarian, he taught the actors and choreographed the sword fights in the Princess Bride and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Heck, he even taught Errol Flynn how to use a sword. He knew so many styles of swordplay and was a master of them all. He will be missed.

Very sad to hear this. He was the "fight" behind Darth Vader and will be sorely missed. Hopefully he will have more recognition now for his contributions. Rest in peace.

I hope there's a line of history's best swordsmen waiting to spar with him.

According to IMDB, he had an uncredited role as an Imperial officer in ESB. Anyone know what scene(s) he was in?

:(

bobanderson.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back