RIP Andrew "Fletch" Fletcher of Depeche Mode

Psab keel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
According to the official Facebook page Andrew "Fletch" Fletcher of Depeche Mode has passed away. Mottrex and Grievous have you heard anything definitive on this story?

FletchRIP.jpg

I'm crushed. I grew up listening to Depeche Mode and they are my all time favorite band. I've seen them in concert on every tour since Exciter and their performances, energy, and music has literally been the soundtrack to my life. I listen to them almost daily and their music has meant the world to me.

What a shame he's gone.

ScourgiousJinx

Sr Member
According to the official Facebook page Andrew "Fletch" Fletcher of Depeche Mode has passed away. Mottrex and Grievous have you heard anything definitive on this story?

View attachment 1579459

I'm crushed. I grew up listening to Depeche Mode and they are my all time favorite band. I've seen them in concert on every tour since Exciter and their performances, energy, and music has literally been the soundtrack to my life. I listen to them almost daily and their music has meant the world to me.

What a shame he's gone.

Well said. Depeche Mode defined the 80's for many. Fletcher will be greatly missed.

Edit: Removed a video.

Last edited:

Mottrex

Sr Member

View attachment 1579459

What a shame he's gone.
Yes It's awful news and not a peep about it on the news RIP

Grievous

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thank you Psab keel , for letting me know. I hadn’t seen the news (still at work). I am quite upset hearing this. He was only 60! Your thoughts are similar to mine- I started playing their albums (cassettes really) endlessly in high school while my parents and friends shot me strange looks, especially to Blasphemous Rumors. Going to take me a while to adjust to this. Alison Moyet just posted that they had known each other since the age of 10.

Mottrex

Sr Member
Thank you Psab keel , for letting me know. I hadn’t seen the news (still at work). I am quite upset hearing this. He was only 60! Your thoughts are similar to mine- I started playing their albums (cassettes really) endlessly in high school while my parents and friends shot me strange looks, especially to Blasphemous Rumors. Going to take me a while to adjust to this. Alison Moyet just posted that they had known each other since the age of 10.
Back in 82 we had a very cool Art teacher who encouraged us to experiment and one of his things pretty unheard of ideas back then was.. He brought in his turn table into class and we would bring in our tunes...
I still lovingly remember hearing See You and Don't go for the first time, it was a life changing experience..

Psab keel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My best friend growing up had two older sisters who shared their music with us very early in our childhood so I literally grew up listening to them. Their sound is so distinct and just spoke to me in a profound way. I can only imagine how Dave and Martin are feeling. Not to mention Vince, Alan, Peter, and Christian. I had no idea Alison knew Fletch so young. Their music will hold extra meaning to me now, knowing he's not with them.

Darth Lars

Master Member
Depeche Mode's Violator was the soundtrack to my teenage years. (...)
... and I've never stopped listening to them. Sadly, I've only seen them live once.

They've always been in a class of their own, with a unique sound - whatever that may have been: always reinventing themselves. And that sound was mostly created by Andrew Fletcher.

Mottrex

Sr Member
... and I've never stopped listening to them. Sadly, I've only seen them live once.

They've always been in a class of their own, with a unique sound - whatever that may have been: always reinventing themselves. And that sound was mostly created by Andrew Fletcher.
The 80s threw up many a synth pop band but unlike most they still retained the same line up. Obviously Vince Clarke left Very early on and that change in direction only made them better..
Violator is my go to album for so many reasons..
It's punchy bold and full of Killer tracks!

Mottrex

Sr Member
They were probably if not the first "Industrial" pop group of the New Wave scene in the UK..
Which a great many bands copied/shifted their look and style too..
"Clanging pipes and chains" was All the rage mid 80s..

It still is in our house!

Last edited:

sbaxter

It came a little later for me (I finished high school in 1986), but Violator is on my short list of what I like to call "Practically Perfect Albums" -- every track is very good, and I'm perfectly happy playing it through from beginning to end. It doesn't hurt that I can sing along to it pretty competently, since unlike most pop music, the vocals typically fall fairly comfortably into my baritone range -- and it pleases my wife when I do so. :D

As an aside, I always thought that "Waiting For the Night" belongs in a Batman film -- and that "Personal Jesus" is what a Klingon lullaby sounds like.

SSB

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.