Riddick/Pitch Black Goggles

Collektor

I've always wanted a pair, but didn't feel like shelling out the large bucks for some, so when I found myself with a week off, I decided to make a pair.

The master was made out of foamcore and illustration board that was glued and then sanded into shape before being sealed with PVA glue and bondo to fill in the joints.

The first set I tried making in rubber was a disaster, so I decided to cast the frames in resin, and then heat them and bend them into shape. Once that was done a little work with the dremel on the back side to create a contour on the nosepiece and widen the insides of the lense sockets, and they were good to go. I just snapped in a pair of lenses from some John Lennon sunglasses, then attached the strap.

But enough rambling here's the pics:

RiddickGoggles02.jpg

RiddickGoggles.jpg

Comments, critique, suggestions welcome. Thanks for looking

Found that the first version I did was a bit too big, and a bit too thick in the frames. So I worked up a new master, and made some changes. The eye holes have been moved slightly closer together to provide better vision when worn, also the fit of the lenses has been improved and they now fit tighter with no gap between the lenses and the frames.

The entire frame has been made smaller and more streamlined, and it includes the nose piece details from the TCOR version of these goggles. They are lighter and much more comfortable than the first version. I'm quite pleased with the results.

RiddickGogglesMK2-01.jpg

RiddickGogglesMK2.jpg

Comparison of the thickness between the first frames and the new ones, the new frames are at the bottom of the pic
RiddickGogglesMK2comparison.jpg

Great job! Love the films, love the prop.

That's cool you were able to figure out how to fix it and make a more comfortable pair. I would love to see them on you, though. :D

Here they are being worn:

The Pitch Black version:
MK-I.jpg

The TCOR variant:
TCORGoggles.jpg

The difference is subtle but noticeable. My next step is to look into casting them in some kind of durable black/grey rubber. Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome as to what kind of rubber to use.

The one main difference between the new casting and the old one is that since I didn't add the foam liners to the back of the frames, they'll definitely need some kind of anti-fogging spray on the inside of the lenses if they're going to be worn for any period of time. One upside is nobody has asked me for spare change or an extra cigarette when I sport these on the street.

They look great on you! Can you see out of them well enough to wear about - I can so picture you on a motorcycle looking too cool. Definitely tough. Haha!

I know nothing about rubber casting to help out, though.

With the changes I made to the spacing of the eye holes, you can see well out of them, much better than you could with the first version, and don't lose too much in the way of peripheral vision.

As for the shave, that would defeat the purpose of growing a big ol beard like that.

I want a pair ! Ur first thick pair were more screen accurate to be honest. I own a pair of production made Pitch black goggles. The goggle frame had a seperate front and back and then the 2 lenses.

Last edited:
Finally got around to casting a pair in rubber. After some research I decided to use PMC-790 urethane rubber as it has sufficient shore hardness to keep the lenses in the frames while still being flexible enough for the goggles to conform to the face.

Here's the first pair in rubber. I was out of black lenses so I tossed in a pair of silver mirrored ones I had on hand.

rubberproto01.jpg

Showing the flex on the frames:
rubberprotobend.jpg

Great project! They really look the part on you - I know I'm a little late to the party on your progress, but if you would like any measurements etc from the original props from either film just shoot me a PM :thumbsup

Last edited:
these do look great and the mirror ones look good too. Are you going to be selling them. i would love to get a pair, if they are not too much if you are send me a pm please thank-you..................

Thanks guys, this has been a fun little project to work on. I'll probably get around to working up one more version of these to iron out a few minor details that are bugging me but as it stands I'm pretty well satisfied with the results.

ohhhh man! Riddick is gonna come after you when he sees you took his shade!

Really nice work, thanks for the jolly good pics!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back