Rick O'Connell The Mummy (1999) Various weapons

JamesDean

Work in progress for my Rick cosplay ahead of convention season

Tried very hard to find resin cast or 3d printed versions of the famous Chamelot-Delvigne 1873 revolvers, unfortunately, being that I'm in the UK, I couldn't find any that would ship to me, so I've gone with plan B!

Took a costume shop pair of "cowboy guns", hacked them up a bit and used them as a frame to build on. I used Polymorph mouldable plastic. First time using it, learning curve is pretty steep but I got better the more I used it. Everything is hand moulded and then tooled.

Got myself a pair of back up Colt M1911 in case the revolvers didn't come out of. Its just a plastic toy from a toy shop I hand painted. May bring it along.

Last is the Winchester Shotgun. Tried to find a pump action but due to very restrictive laws on toy guns in the UK, there wasn't much out there. Cosplay rules for all the cons I'm going to specify that replicas, BBs or and non plastic/foam props are allowed, so it took some searching to find a close fit.
Found this lever action that's a lot like the one used in the Mummy returns. I took off all the extra parts (tac sight, logos etc) and painted it all by hand.

Just need to find an fit orange tips for them all and I'm pretty much done! I'll post an update if/when I do a trail run

Thanks for reading all!

Attachments

• A9ACF791-1695-4FCF-B7B2-4A5E69E15A2D_1_201_a.jpeg
    A9ACF791-1695-4FCF-B7B2-4A5E69E15A2D_1_201_a.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 251
  • C5215113-F6F6-40EB-9F9E-22EE1208C421_1_201_a.jpeg
    C5215113-F6F6-40EB-9F9E-22EE1208C421_1_201_a.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 388
This is a cool project. You've made yourself a decent looking arsenal just from visiting toyshops - that 1911 paint job really sells it.

I've used polymorph for making various doodads before (it's useful for quickly fixing switches in your parents broken appliances) but never thought to use it like this.

I kind of want my own pair too now :D

This is a cool project. You've made yourself a decent looking arsenal just from visiting toyshops - that 1911 paint job really sells it.

I've used polymorph for making various doodads before (it's useful for quickly fixing switches in your parents broken appliances) but never thought to use it like this.

I kind of want my own pair too now :D
Thanks! I forgot I’m actually pretty ok with a brush! All those years of painting miniatures as a kid paid off!

Honestly, with enough patience, polymorph could potentially be a good product for small to medium projects. It will stick to absolutely anything! Takes paint very well too

I have been meaning to try making moulds with it - I've seen people use it for resin casting scratch built parts to duplicate them.

Also if you have access to a 3D printer I found an accurate looking 1873 model free on Grabcad

I have been meaning to try making moulds with it - I've seen people use it for resin casting scratch built parts to duplicate them.

Also if you have access to a 3D printer I found an accurate looking 1873 model free on Grabcad
That’s better than most I’ve seen! I just cant get anyone In the U.K. to print it for me! Asked for quotes from every store I can, no one wants to do it :-/

Yes I was thinking making a negative and moulding with plastics, like a resin mould, I just need an original to mould from!
Meanwhile: threw this together tonight, thought I’d need a few more accessories to warrant bringing a cache to a convention!
947D1B6A-E390-4B3A-A7A5-83A37C95EAD1.jpeg

Nice, did you make the graphics yourself? It would be funny to wrap fruit pastilles or something and give them out to kids at cons.

It does seem to be pretty accurate -they've even modelled all the mechanisms inside. I've just remodelled the rod to add some more detail and am working on a bullet so I can fill the chambers. I havent split out the cylinder yet though as fusion 360 is being a pain. I will pull the model into Blender tomorrow and do it manually but it's way too late now.

screenshot.jpg

I've got a wee resin printer I was going to print myself one with, I'm happy to have a go at running you off some for the cost of postage. DM me and we'll see what I can do.

Nice, did you make the graphics yourself? It would be funny to wrap fruit pastilles or something and give them out to kids at cons.

It does seem to be pretty accurate -they've even modelled all the mechanisms inside. I've just remodelled the rod to add some more detail and am working on a bullet so I can fill the chambers. I havent split out the cylinder yet though as fusion 360 is being a pain. I will pull the model into Blender tomorrow and do it manually but it's way too late now.

View attachment 1609871

I've got a wee resin printer I was going to print myself one with, I'm happy to have a go at running you off some for the cost of postage. DM me and we'll see what I can do.
For real? That would be amazing! Grab some graphics off an old dynamite crate photo by matching font, logo I found online. Yes sweets would be a great idea!

You could borrow some shoe lifts from R.D.J. and some steroids from Hemsworth ! I mostly do Western stuff , here's an interesting mares leg I have . It's from once upon a time in the West .. Woody Strode carried it at the top of the movie . Notice the trigger tripper bar !

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_183810.jpg
    IMG_20220821_183810.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 72
Haha! Yes that could work, I’m still trying to learn to do the spin cocking, harder than it looks!

That is an amazing looking piece! Where did you get it?
You could borrow some shoe lifts from R.D.J. and some steroids from Hemsworth ! I mostly do Western stuff , here's an interesting mares leg I have . It's from once upon a time in the West .. Woody Strode carried it at the top of the movie . Notice the trigger tripper bar !

Haha! Yes that could work, I’m still trying to learn to do the spin cocking, harder than it looks!

That is an amazing looking piece! Where did you get it?
it's an old Denix John Wayne with a lever mod and extensive cut down .. Couldn't weld the tripper bar cos of monkey metal , so I used brass to make the part and it's two part epoxy stick for the weld . The bar goes in to the lever a bit so it's firm . I then had to lighten the trigger pull so it doesn't strain on the bar . The butt plate is the original re -formed by an engineer friend .. It fires kids caps but only one at a time as there is no mech apart from a lifter. I did the guns for an indy move last yr and this will be in the next one !

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back