Richard Edlund Pignose Knob (kind of of Star Wars related)

speedtwin

Hey Guys,

Long time member here. I never post - just usually like to read and see what people are doing for inspiration, etc.

I looked around and figured this was the best part of the forum to get advice or recommendations on my new project.

I'm into vintage guitars and amps in addition to the kind of stuff that is usually covered here on the RPF, and recently picked up one of the prototype pignose amplifiers that was made in 1969. For anyone who isn't aware of this fun bit of Richard Edlund's pre-ILM background, they cover it a bit in the first episode of the Light and Magic documentary series.

To sum it up pretty quickly, Richard and his friend Wayne Kimball were doing rock n' roll photography in the late 1960s, he got into guitar playing and created a little battery powered guitar amplifier. They got some funding, applied for patents, and hand built 65 of these little amps which they gave away to rock stars through their industry connections. Fast forward 3 or so years and the guitar player and producer from the band Chicago decided that they thought this was a worthwhile venture, and helped fund the creation of the company. They unveiled them at the '73 NAAM show and started making them in big numbers. If you are a guitar player (and old like me), you know what a pignose is by default. They were super popular in the 1970s and 80s and are still made today - although their popularity has diminished due to the advent of modern technology.

X3W5a2I.jpg

Here's a couple of links that go into it a bit:

What I have is #32 of the original 65 that Richard Edlund and Wayne Kimball built by hand in 1969. It's in decent physical shape, missing its volume knob, original speaker, and battery holder. My plans are to get it back into the state it was in new, and that means I need a nose.

While the production models all have a short metal pig snout shaped volume knob, the original ones had a long snout that was made of natural rubber, which is the defining feature of the original amps. The only pic where you can see it is this pic of Keith Richard's pignose from the company's website:

cCRrC3u.jpg

While I don't have the original rubber nose, what I do have is the sculpt for it!

jXL51gR.jpg

pjNeMyR.jpg

RfZTrj7.jpg

yJftK9g.jpg

eGDfZdc.jpg

The guy I got the amp from, purchased it and the nose, etc directly from Richard Edlund several years ago. This was the reason that I decided the amp was worth purchasing. It means that a new nose should be able to be made, plus I can put the original nose, the original emblem, note, etc in a display to hang on the wall.

So here's the reason for the thread.....I don't know anything about making molds, casting, etc, but you guys do :)

I'm looking for suggestions on what I should do to get started, things to read, what to make the mold from, etc....or I would even be happy to take recommendations on someone that could do it for me. I'd be happy to pay someone to do the work who wouldn't chance ruining the original like I would.

Let me know what you think,

-Shaggy

I have no advice to offer but if casts of these ever come available I would love one. I love things like this that build the character around the old ILM and the associated artists.

What a wonderful story and project(y)(y) If you want to mold that nose it's going to be straight forward: make the mold wall with foam core, use a hot glue gun to make sure the seams are filled properly (you don't want your silicone to seep through the cracks), glue your original piece to the base of your mold (don't want that piece to float into your silicone).

I use Alumilite silicone mold: 1:1 ratio (easy to measure and red in color). Before pouring the silicone, use a mold release agent to spray your piece and the walls of your mold. Pour your silicone from, at least, 12" high to avoid bubbles. Wait for 24 hours, remove entire silicone while trying to keep the foam core walls intact. Remove original piece. Your mold is ready for action.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back