RiceBerry's Raimi Spider-Man Build

RiceBerry

Hey guys!

I'm a new member here. Let's go back to a time when Spider-Man movies were worth watching. I haven't seen a good Spidey film since 2004. Alright, alright, enough with upsetting MCU Spidey fans, I'm just saying the Raimi films are superior in every possible way. Okay I'll stop.

I'm putting together a Raimi Spider-Man costume on dye sublimated fabric with urethane webbing and spiders.

I'm assembling this kit...

IMG_4165.JPG

Still missing a few pieces but thought I should get started. Dye sub pattern is custom made by me. Started with KenLandrum's file and modified using the good old TKComics pattern as reference. The suit in the box was a test print, I'm waiting for a new one with better colors and corrected shading. Urethane webs made by Brad aka Spidey4fun. Brad did an outstanding job, great guy to work with!

First step is to darken the sides of the webs. Man this is gonna be a long process, and not a very fun one. The movie webs were cast in black foam latex and the top was coated with graphite to give the silver look. Fan made suits never really used this method since it is hard to paint urethane rubber. So the common way to make those webs is by casting them in silver/grey then darkening the sides with marker, and it's extremely time consuming. Someone needs to find a better way to do this!

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

Gonna darken all the webs then let them dry for one entire week so the ink can soak into the urethane. I know SpideyPlanet puts his webs in the dishwasher after they are fully dry to prevent them from staining. I gotta say the thought of putting the webs in a steaming hot dishwasher scares me so I'm gonna see how well the ink stays on before I look into washing them.

Stay tuned for more progress.

Darkening the webs really makes a big difference. So definately worth it. Still very time consuming.

Half of the belt darkened so you can see the difference.

E22664CB-926F-45BC-B9FC-2737C3B80AAA.jpeg

Finished darkening the belt.

Last edited:
I got my new pattern printed.

IMG_0291.JPG

Very happy with the colors.

I darkened all of the webbing with sharpie and put them in the dishwasher to prevent staining. Started attaching the webbing on the back usng the loctite and a seam ripper to apply the glue.

IMG_0498.JPG

Looking good, man! (y)

Just be careful with the ink on the webs if you decide to fold the suit up...

I've got a SP kit that I put into a tote for storage, and the spider logo on the back came out with black marks all over it...

Sean

Im thinking about doing a similar approach soon but i don't have a mannequin to glue the webs on. Is this a necessity? Im honestly afraid to glue them and it won't fit my body afterwards

Looking good, man! (y)

Just be careful with the ink on the webs if you decide to fold the suit up...

I've got a SP kit that I put into a tote for storage, and the spider logo on the back came out with black marks all over it...

Sean

yeah man I see what you’re saying. The marker ink method feels not only time consuming but ineffective aswell. The redults aren’t that great. I think casting the webs black and trying to make the top silver/graphite would be a better option

I honestly could have finished this suit a long time ago, but I lost motivation because of the darkening of the webs taking so much time. Hate the marker method. So I took the longest break. Anyway just got back to working on it.

I ordered black kung fu shoes from ebay and put them inside the ”socks” of the suit. Used superglue around the bottom rim which seeped through the fabric and clinged to the rubber sole. Then I traced the sole shape and cutit out from black rubber sheet. Attached with contact adhesive.
A351A397-E836-4A07-8B45-2D1DF02C7C67.jpeg

finished the darkening of the leg webbing and started gluing one of the boots. The gluing, surprisingly, is quite simple and very straightforward.
94AFD895-13DA-4775-8597-09096983CB2E.jpeg

Time to figure out the chest spider size:
A5381C2F-8079-4BF8-AD66-9B80875C113E.jpeg
1DFA89DE-374E-461A-B270-AA8ED5EC9F6A.jpeg

For the chest spider, I actually had it cut from 2mm urethane sheet using a water jet. It doesn’t have that slight bevel that the webbing does, but it saved me tons of time and money. The result is very clean since the water jet doesn’t burn and melt the edges like a laser cutter would.

79893110-3C14-4868-B9E2-12E8737CD0B4.jpeg

Attached the chest spider. Only put glue on the places where it makes contact with the webbing, and on the tips of the legs to make it stay in place.

789CC8E6-374E-4830-939C-80EECA8CA13B.jpeg

yes, the scale is slightly too large. The upper legs are a little high, but I’m happy with how it looks.

Another shot of the chest spider. I’m making this suit as a test. I want to redo it in the future all from scratch, casting my own webs. I have also finished my own pattern that’s alot more accurate.

selling this suit after finishing it.

Attachments

• 5F1D1040-A256-4D45-B0F2-AFB9311CB74D.jpeg
    5F1D1040-A256-4D45-B0F2-AFB9311CB74D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 412
Another shot of the chest spider. I’m making this suit as a test. I want to redo it in the future all from scratch, casting my own webs. I have also finished my own pattern that’s alot more accurate.

selling this suit after finishing it.
For the pattern what opacity did you make the red and blue brick parts

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I'm a new member here. Let's go back to a time when Spider-Man movies were worth watching. I haven't seen a good Spidey film since 2004. Alright, alright, enough with upsetting MCU Spidey fans, I'm just saying the Raimi films are superior in every possible way. Okay I'll stop.

I'm putting together a Raimi Spider-Man costume on dye sublimated fabric with urethane webbing and spiders.

I'm assembling this kit...

View attachment 1061635

Still missing a few pieces but thought I should get started. Dye sub pattern is custom made by me. Started with KenLandrum's file and modified using the good old TKComics pattern as reference. The suit in the box was a test print, I'm waiting for a new one with better colors and corrected shading. Urethane webs made by Brad aka Spidey4fun. Brad did an outstanding job, great guy to work with!

First step is to darken the sides of the webs. Man this is gonna be a long process, and not a very fun one. The movie webs were cast in black foam latex and the top was coated with graphite to give the silver look. Fan made suits never really used this method since it is hard to paint urethane rubber. So the common way to make those webs is by casting them in silver/grey then darkening the sides with marker, and it's extremely time consuming. Someone needs to find a better way to do this!

View attachment 1061636
View attachment 1061637
Gonna darken all the webs then let them dry for one entire week so the ink can soak into the urethane. I know SpideyPlanet puts his webs in the dishwasher after they are fully dry to prevent them from staining. I gotta say the thought of putting the webs in a steaming hot dishwasher scares me so I'm gonna see how well the ink stays on before I look into washing them.

Stay tuned for more progress.
Please can you send me the TKComics pattern? I don't find it anywhere

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back