Rhino - Armored Suit interpretation

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by virg012, Aug 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. virg012

virg012 Active Member

There was some concept art for the Rhino from the Amazing Spiderman movie which I really liked, instead of the suit which made it into the final movie. This was my idea starting with foam pep files along with some help getting the base suit made. There just isn't enough time in the day to do everything. Let me know what you think, give me some suggestions. I still have to add some small LEDs in the vents on the neck.

I am planning on taking this to Dragon Con this year and would love to meet up with some Puny Peter Parkers.....

Rhino Pep.jpg IMG_1682.JPG IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1684.JPG IMG_1686.JPG IMG_1687.JPG

Jmen, zorprime, Shadeling and 4 others like this.
  2. Ikras

Ikras Active Member

That's looking pretty cool, like the boots. You've got a good finish on the foam as well

I think it'll look good with some LEDs in there, what colour are you planning to use and what kind of effect are you going for? Could possibly look good with some illumination from the lower areas of the collar but inside if that makes any sense.

3. Il Princerino

Il Princerino Sr Member

Dude that is SUHWEET!!!

4. neonfire92

neonfire92 New Member

Wow, that's awesome! I would MUCH rather have seen this instead of that crap we got in TASM2!

5. Hazmat

Hazmat Well-Known Member

Awesome! really nice work.

6. mrush

mrush New Member

oh thats bad *!

7. virg012

virg012 Active Member

A couple of people has asked about the concept art which inspired this suit. Here are the 2 concepts from Tsvetomir Georgiev
    5S7Z5NO.jpg Best-rhino-concept-art-from-the-amazing-spider-man-2-ive-seen.jpg

George likes this.
  8. Badgersbunk

Badgersbunk Active Member

That suit is awesome. So is the bigger concept art suit.

9. virg012

virg012 Active Member

Make the inside neck illuminated with LEDs? I have several dot LEDs which I might try that out. Great idea! Thanks

10. daracell

daracell New Member

looks awesome! Cant wait to see it at DragonCon

11. bhodie

bhodie Active Member

WOW! I love it!!! Way better than the TASM 2 version!!!

12. virg012

virg012 Active Member

Thanks man, this does mean a lot coming from you. Steel Works Custom Designs was awesome to work with

"We have the tools, we have the talent"
    Winston Zeddemore

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Hazmat likes this.
  13. Igniitus

Igniitus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I saw your suit posted on RAWs facebook, looks great so far! What was the turnaround on the commission?

14. virg012

virg012 Active Member

It's gonna be 2 months for a basic build which give you time savings, cuts and gluing skills, if you don't possess those. The foam suit stills needs to be sealed a couple of times, modified for comfort because of reality vs expectations (hmmm, i thought that would be longer, that's not gonna work), priming, painting, details, electronics and personal style items still need to be accomplished.

15. virg012

virg012 Active Member

So, what a difference a good paintjob makes. Here's the finished horns on the helmet which match the toes.
    IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1250.JPG

Jmen likes this.
  16. Jackal

Jackal Well-Known Member

Oh man that is cool!!

17. virg012

virg012 Active Member

Everything packed for Dragon Con. See all of you Puny Peter Parkers there.....

18. hapslappy

hapslappy Member

Truly amazing build!!

19. virg012

virg012 Active Member

Dragon Con was amazing and it is great to hear and also say "I saw it on the RPF". Had a blast with the Spiderverse shoot beating them up.
    55f08cc3f008b (1).jpg 10623943_10101819723167254_3945384872789509852_o (1).jpg 11999074_10204740874069001_6379307410319801792_n.jpg 11849796_867017313347423_1978326119_n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Yrien, Jmen and George like this.
  20. STLAssassin

STLAssassin Active Member

Awesome suit, I chatted with you for a few at the Marvel shoot. I was one of the many Captain Americas. You also remind me of Patrick Warburton and think you would make a great Tick.

21. muttmo

muttmo Well-Known Member

That is the best Rhino suit I have ever seen. I love the rhino and have wanted to do a suit. There are a few Who have tried doing a suit but they look like unfitting latex bags. Yours looks real. Like a good movie costume..

Love to see a video of you walking around in it.
    Muttmo

George likes this.
  22. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree,one of the best seen thusfar.I like the second photo very much: the action photo with Spidey charging...Awesome :thumbsup

23. virg012

virg012 Active Member

It is actually quite easy to walk around, however if there was a fire in the building, then I am not going to make it.
    Here's one video with the movement........yes, I am dancing.......https://youtu.be/7rpytrOJh4M?t=53s

24. aspinm

aspinm New Member

Loved your suit at Dragon Con man, really well done!

25. Anakinos

Anakinos Well-Known Member

Great suit man. I spoke with you at dragon con on the marriot floor and you were telling me about Smooth on's Epsilon product. I forgot to ask you how much epsilon did you use on your suit. I am making a BvS Armored bat and was curious as to how much I should probably get. Thanks for the talk at the con, and fantastic work on that suit. It really was an amazing piece to see in person.

26. virg012

virg012 Active Member

I used one coat on most areas, spot sanded (helps to sand the foam first which minimizes the secondary work) and did a second coat on the high impact areas (feet, lower leg). Can't remember who I told but you can dramatically strengthen your suit if you paint a 1 inch layer on the inside of the parts and join the outside coat with the inside. This prevents any movement and fine cracks which may result (Battle Damage!!!).

The trial pack may get you by but the gallon is nice to have.

27. TJack

TJack Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm assuming you don't mean a 1 inch thick layer?

28. virg012

virg012 Active Member

No, 1 inch wide layer - otherwise would have to leave room in costume for the wall of Epsilon and room in your wallet.

On a serious note, I love epsilon, sure it is more expensive but doesn't require multiple coats and helps save time, especially during crunch time before the con.

29. TJack

TJack Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I figured as much - for that exact same reason :) I was interpreting your post to mean you had to coat both the inner and outer layer with epsilon and make sure the edges joined up.

30. muttmo

muttmo Well-Known Member

You are able to dance. well.. IN the Suit