Rey's End Scene Lightsaber from ROS

IMG_8104.JPG

Here is my WIP, first primer coat on a set of resin prints from a different design on Thingiverse by VanOaksPropFoundry (although it has since come off Thingiverse). It's big !

I've glued the parts together. Having it together, I'd keep the original scale size of the file at 100% for the top and bottom components. The handle works best at scaling it up to 1.25 like I did.

Here are some size by side comparisons of Luke's saber. If Luke's is a 1 to 1 and a half handed weapon, Rey's is certainly a 2 handed.

But that's just my opinion. Certainly.

Now to start getting some primer and paint on this thing.

1578767580208.png

1578767594800.png

Not sure why I hadn’t done this before, but the left is a SW promo photo and the right is from TROS. I’m starting to think Rey’s new saber is roughly the same size as Luke’s.

Thoughts?
0874C3A5-EDEB-4ACA-8A37-1FD1171CF4B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure why I hadn’t done this before, but the left is a SW promo photo and the right is from TROS. I’m starting to think Rey’s new saber is roughly the same size as Luke’s.

Thoughts?View attachment 1246342

Rey's quarterstaff is 6ft long per Anovos measurements claimed to be taken from screen used prop. The portion that was repurposed as the saber hilt is almost exactly 1/6 the length of the staff, making it ~12 inches long.
ZII5Cq1.jpg

IIRC the Skywalker saber is around 11 inches long. So Rey's saber is definitely longer but only by about an inch. Here is a quick dirty scale comparison with that part of her staff:
dIWgsC6.png

However one wrinkle in the story to note is that this prop is ever so slightly different from the staff, and has two slightly modified sections that may make it just a pinch longer. So just a touch above 12in is probably pretty accurate.
NilxvFx.png

(One last thing to consider though is that while this would be the accurate scale when based off of her staff, the reality of production is that they could have scaled it down and her saber may not be the same size as the original part it is intended to be made from.)

I was wondering if they were using the same Bernard collets on her staff as on that star destroyer part she collected beginning of TFA... and if so, is that the same for the saber...

This is tough cuz it has not grown on me at all. I really wanted to like Rey’s first saber she made herself.

The dark Rey tho.... that looks cooL

Even Leia’s has grown on me.

I'll throw some of my stuff into this thread as well-

Here's my take on the saber on Thingiverse:

It's made to go over a 1" dowel. There's a closed emitter and an open emitter. There's a fixed cog switch and an rotating one. The rotating switch does not move the petals on the emitter.

My current WIP is taking that file and setting up the insides to hold the microcontroller and battery that will drive the sound effects and speaker from the Adafruit tutorial: Prop-Maker Lightsaber

I'm done with the test prints and the internal geometries, so it's on to modifying the code and sanding/painting. Once I get mine built and all the changes are done, I'll hang the new files on Thingiverse.

Attachments

• V2_cad_cap_updated.JPG
    V2_cad_cap_updated.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 236
  • test_print.jpg
    test_print.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 228
  • Emitter_front.JPG
    Emitter_front.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Emitter_side.JPG
    Emitter_side.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Rotating_switch.jpg
    Rotating_switch.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 187
  • V3_cad_cap.jpg
    V3_cad_cap.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 200
  • V3_cad_cap_2.jpg
    V3_cad_cap_2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 162
I was wondering if they were using the same Bernard collets on her staff as on that star destroyer part she collected beginning of TFA... and if so, is that the same for the saber...
I'm pretty sure they did. (It was kind of a nice throwback to her roots as a scavenger, I thought.) There are several sizes to those collets- I got a large (accurate to what she collected/traded) and smaller one. I never kept up with Rey's equipment (beyond her blaster) but recall seeing something about the one on her staff being of the smaller variety? If need be, I try to dig up the small one I have and get a measurement. It's in a box... somewhere!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back