Rey's Blaster NN-14 Build

dereckwalker

Hi everyone. I'm a new member to the forum. I have heard a lot about this forum from many of my heroes but for whatever reason never made an account. I would love to one day turn my hobby into career.

Anyways, I started this build about a year ago. Moving at a slow pace, mostly because of college and money. This is my attempt at Rey's Blaster NN-14. I used blueprints drawn up by Bill Doran of Punished Props along with reference photos I found online to model this blaster in Autodesk's Fusion 360.

IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0904.JPG

I'm sure I broke up the model too much for 3d printing, but I wanted the clean up job to be easy. I ordered the prints through Shapeways since I haven't been able to purchase my own 3d printer yet. Over the course of a few months I had these parts printed as money was available. And after a lot of sanding and tender love I had these pieces ready for molding. The safety knob was mad from the butt end of an X-Acto knife. All of the screws were sourced through McMaster-Carr.

IMG_5014.JPG

This photo was taken after molding, that is why the sprews are still attached. I used Smooth On's Mold Star 15 Slow for the mold and PVC pipe and foam core poster board for the mold walls.

IMG_4750.JPG

The grips, back plate, and safety knob are all one part molds and everything was is a two part mold. The barrel and front knob both need to be re-molded because I got air bubbles trapped in the silicone. I learned that next time I should mold the pieces upside down with the sprew at the bottom so my undercuts will be at the top. I should have planned this more before I poured my silicone.

IMG_5015.JPGIMG_5016.JPG

So far I am really happy with my 2nd time ever making silicone molds. I'll be sure to upload pictures whenever I get my first pulls from these molds. Please let me know if you have any tips or ideas for me for the future. I love hearing other peoples' thought and look forward to posting more in this great community.

Attachments

• IMG_4751.JPG
    IMG_4751.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back