rexim-favor scope

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Clutch, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Anybody know what scope is on that rexim-favor pistol you see the stormtrooper holding? I think it'd be cool to upgrade as my resin one is a bit on the short side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

Isn't that the Singlepoint?

Jay

3. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

I believe it's the same as the one on Boba Fett's rifle, and the 2 on Chewie's crossbow.
    I'm tired. . . can't think of the scope model # right now.

4. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

superjedi, you'd be my hero if you could tell me what it is. :)

5. Tim Allen

Tim Allen Sr Member

Ive got an extra resin one if you need......

6. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Isn't it an "ASI" something? I could swear that rings a bell.

7. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

A Tasco 4x20 is close to it ain't it?

SAS

8. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

Evazan and Chewie scopes are Model 7's but no one knows what manufacturer that is.

They are 4x20 scopes and most new ones look almost the same. You could go with a Tasco or Simmons 4x20. They run about $10 on Ebay or in stores.
    If you need the rings too then that's trickier since they are pretty rare.

9. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The trooper Rexum scope is different to both the Bowcaster, Evazan and Boba Fett scopes. And the scope ring/mount is also different.

10. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Is the scope backwards on the trooper gun as well?

11. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I just spotted something in Toys R Us of all places. On the back of the large Han Trooper figure 'box', there is a shot of the promo trooper I've never seen. I'm assuming the Han head was photoshopped on, but look at the glorious shot of the pistol! There is definitely a piece sticking out of the left side of the magazine well. This is also a better view of the mystery scope. Somebody please find that scope! Lol!
    [​IMG]

The gun:
    [​IMG]

Other views:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I believe what you are seeing are red & green wires (just like the ones on an E-11) on the left side.
    You can see them here in this frame grab when Dr. Evazan's are is cut off:
    StarWars-SE-14C2 copy.jpg
    imageproxy-1.php.jpeg

kurtyboy made an excellent replica of this back in '09: (I'll gladly remove it if you want)

evazanleft.jpg

Attached Files:

13. T5H

T5H Active Member

That scope is so vintage i remember having no luck finding anything like it. I ended up scratch building it like the rest of the rexim.
    dsc_2611.jpg
    dsc_3110.jpg
    dsc_3111.jpg

ABE, Unfated and Shingouki28 like this.
  14. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

15. Dann

Dann Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh lord. I guess y'all wanna know what this is, don't you?

16. Dann

That's a beautiful job on that Rexim!

I've been working on mine over the past few months, and I thickened the trigger guard just like you have, and the scope mounting block I came up with looks VERY similar to yours!

Will post pics soon!

17. mgoob

The scope is out there somewhere.
    Emphasis on the "where."

Is that a Morgan13 kit?

18. Dann

Sounds like he custom built it? It looks great!

T5H likes this.
  19. T5H

T5H Active Member

Yeah, its a custom blaster I made myself.
    The funny thing with this build is that the more time I spent building the Se14 the more interested I became into replicating the rexim favor. The rexim favor is such a rare weapon that I've never heard of anyone owning one, not even a decent replica of it. So I ended up making myself a foldable shoulder stock, along with the front parts of the rexim including a functioning bayonet. I'm not sure they work the same way as a genuine rexim-favor does because of the sparse references, but it was a lot of fun figuring my own design anyway. The Mud/Safety cover and inner bolt are also moveable along with the fire selector, magazine release, etc... Of course the issue is that I now had Se14 parts welded to the rexim-favor parts which turned it into an hybride of both (all the rexim parts can be stripped away from the se14 though).
    Unfortunately I broke my airbrush during the paintjob and it kind of killed my momentum. I haven't resumed working on it since.
    45505863395_5164fd207d_b.jpg
    46367697522_5bc4ab953e_b.jpg
    45505865515_e610b607d4_b.jpg
    45505864495_88fabbc828_b.jpg
    45505863945_6a9e9ebc3a_b.jpg
    45505862375_1fb602dbbb_b.jpg

ABE, Dann, Shingouki28 and 1 other person like this.
  20. OdiWan72

That´s awesome...tell us more about this, please!

Metal, plastic...scratchbuilt or 3D printed...?
    Grips are from Shawn, I guess?

21. intwenothor

intwenothor Active Member

It looks like a 4x32 scope mounted backwards to me. Could be a Bokson but, honestly, it could be any one of a number of period 4x32s. Bokson did use that kind of set-up with the distinctive shape and large, flat windage and elevation screws.

mugatu likes this.
  22. Dann

That's so awesome, really nice work on the Rexim. The bayonet is killer!

Here's where mine's at, at the moment. It's a 3D print that I've had to do a TON of work on. The models don't allow for a moveable dust cover, so I had to separate the barrel parts which was really tough, as they weren't separate meshes.

I used Apoxie sculpt for thickening the trigger guard, and modeled the scope block so that zip ties can be used rather than glue to secure the scope.

A few parts haven't been attached yet, and I guess I'll need to model a sight leaf, because it wasn't in with the model.

I'm just guessing that one of the rectangular greeblies from the Merr Sonn is what's on the left side of the magazine well, and I'll have to figure out how to do the wires and where they attach at the back left.

I'm also working on an Evazan version, but I'm not near as far along.

1221181443.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    T5H, ABE, eethan and 1 other person like this.
  23. OdiWan72

I really really dig that Rexim Dann...stellar work!

Dann likes this.
  24. OdiWan72

One more question...did you print all parts?

Could you post some close up pictures of just the knurled front ring and endcap, please?

25. mgoob

PHENOMINAL work!

Just WOW!

Maybe someday you'll offer a kit.

The only film I've ever seen it used in was The Beast Must Die (1974).
    https://filmschoolrejects.com/the-beast-must-die-review/
    Our hero looks like an African American Jim Morrison, replete w/ leather pants, jacket and bare-chested!
    Rexim Favour The Beast Must Die framegrab 16.png
    Note that there is a circle on the bottom of the magazine, possibly a button to push that allows the bottom of the magazine to be removed, like on a Sterling.

The folding stock is made from formed steel and not solid.

Pretty good, funky, horror film also w/ Peter Cushing; definitely different.
    Rexim Favour The Beast Must Die framegrab 20.png Rexim Favour The Beast Must Die framegrab 19.png
    rexim-web.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    T5H, Dann and mugatu like this.
  26. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

intwenothor would you not agree that the scope has had its occular and objective bells removed and switched places in relation to the windage and elevation knob housing? Thus the “new” occular bell on the blaster (the one without the locking ring) is not one piece with the scope tube, even though the separation line is almost invisible?
    Or can the knob housing be removed and reversed?

27. intwenothor

intwenothor Active Member

The windage/elevation block is doubtlessly unmolested. There are plenty of examples of scopes where the housing sits this way around. Nikko Sterling have several scopes where the blocks sits in this way with the screws that mount it to the tube pointing towards the eyepiece rather than the objective bell (as in the Boba and Bowcaster scopes). Several old Webley scopes are also constructed this way; the old pistol scope is the example that springs to mind.

mugatu likes this.
  28. mgoob

Since the ocular and the objective are threaded differently, one is male the other female, I think it's doubtful that they would have cut the threaded end off a scope to make the make end fit there.

Probably just a aviation you're thinking of.

Dann, intwenothor and mugatu like this.
  29. Dann

All the Rexim parts are printed, yes. And the scope mounting block.

I'll snap you some pics of the front and rear caps... I believe the sawtooth pattern is reversed on the printed version, but I still really like the detail.

Here you go.. 1228181614.jpg 1228181614a.jpg 1228181616.jpg 1228181616b.jpg

Okay, I think I just realized you were asking T5H those questions, and not me. Well, shoot.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  30. T5H

T5H Active Member

Hey guys, sorry for the late answer. Lots of love for this fantastic blaster, it's great to see!

That scope you used is very close to what can be seen on the reference pictures! They share lots of similarities for sure. Very nice!
    Did you use the 3D model from Tom Campbell? Because it's looking very good and I remember he was the only one who ever did justice to this blaster.
    Also, you mention the wires to the left side of the blaster but don't forget to add a piece of black wire going from the front of the right handgrip and backwards above it either ;).

The full build is based upon a 3D model I created out of reference pictures (mostly from the Nostromo handgun from "Alien" by the way). The only thing I wasn't able to model correctly at the time is the knurling pattern on both endcaps (your hunch was right). I could do it better now but back when I modeled it I had to cheat my way around this one.
    28-09-12.jpg
    28-09-10.jpg
    28-09-11.jpg

As you can see the handgrips are custom made too. At the time I did all the 3D work I didn't know that Shawn had been able to recast genuine handgrips and I assumed they were scratch-made like the rest. But along with being attentive to get the crosshatch pattern right, I also spent a lot of time capturing the wavy look of the genuines. So even if they're replicas, they're well enough to fool most.
    img_2010.jpg

So yes, the whole thing is 3D printed. My first plan was to print this 3D model through SLA (stereolithography) in order to best capture all the details and tight tolerances between parts. But in the end, after finishing printing the prototype with my FDM printer I realized that even though I lost some resolution in the details they were still good enough for me. The two threadings between the barrel and end caps were the hardest parts to get working as the clearance I used between them was designed for SLA and I had to sand it thoroughly in order to get it functionnal with FDM.
    And like the rest the scope is custom made as, like I said, I was unable to find any scope that matched the one we can see on the reference pictures (but the one Dann used is so close, it's definitely a good lead). I printed the parts with fast settings as I initially thought I would replace them afterwards so the details could be better.
    img_2012.jpg
    img_2011.jpg

Awesome picture of the rexim with folded stock!
    I didn't find that one, and from what I read online the stock was supposedly to fold over the right side of the weapon. It was a huge problem to me because no matter how I tried to make it work, it was impossible for me to get the stock to fold on this side while staying true to the visual references. At one point I just decided to have it fold over the left side as it was the only solution that made sense to me, and now I'm glad I did! The only thing is that apparently it's held folded thanks to two leafsprings. The issue with leaf springs is that if it works good with steel pieces, it's not really appliable to resin or 3D printed parts so I had to forget the idea.
    My stock isn't solid either. However because it was a 3D print I chose to make it quite thick to make it sturdier, but I now regret that decision. It's too chunky :/
    dsc_3010.jpg

Dann and Clutch like this.
  31. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I re-uploaded a video I ganked from youtube years ago:

T5H likes this.
  32. Dann

Cool!! Thanks for that, Clutch!

He says it won't accept MP40 mags, I thought it was supposed to be able to, as well. That's strange. Where did I hear that?

33. mgoob

Neat to actually see one. thanks

34. Dann

Okay folks, I guess I should make the announcement and my discovery public!

Many months back (late August, early September), I was searching for scopes on eBay, and came across something interesting. It was a strange looking little 4x scope, and when I had it in my hands, I knew I was on to something. I did more searching around, and learned that what I had was just a slightly different version than what is on the real SE-14R prop.

The real scope is already an EXTREMELY rare scope, and it's already coveted by collectors of a different community. It's the same model scope (slightly different eye-piece, though) that was on Lee Harvey Oswald's rifle used to assassinate JFK.

It's an Ordnance Optics 4x18 scope, made in Japan in the 50s-60s

Here's a little info I found awhile back about the history of the scopes. Screenshot_2018-09-11-22-42-36.png

So, the gun shop (Retting's) that has all the rest of the NOS scopes lists them on eBay for $600. In the screenshot above, you can see they were asking $250 in 2008. And it's not even the right version for the JFK collectors! Anyway, I don't think they've sold many at that new $600 price.

But the last thing we need is for someone to tell Retting's that they have the CORRECT eye-piece version for a Star Wars gun! So please, folks, don't let happen to this what has happened to SO many things in the past. There ARE replicas on the way!

Here's the LHO eye-piece version
    [​IMG]

And our version
    [​IMG]
    I was doing my best to get replicas made by Field Marshall (started talking with him about it not long after I made the discovery), and I modeled the scope I first found, which is a Swift, and I've updated the models now that I've had a real OO come through. (It has since been sent off to its new owner) There are slight differences in the saddle, locking ring, and both the eye-piece and objective bells, and in the way the lenses are mounted. My newest version of the models are accurate to the OO.

Below are some various progress pics I took over the last five or six months. Some show old versions of some of the parts, but you get the idea. The newest versions I believe will be at the bottom of these pics.

Oh yeah, I also modeled two versions of the scope mounting block! I made them so that little zip-ties can be used to secure the scope to the mount.

1221181514.jpg 1221181514a.jpg 1221181516a.jpg 1221181516.jpg 1224182253.jpg 1224182301.jpg 1224182235.jpg 1224182233.jpg 1213181919.jpg 0125191811.jpg 0125191812.jpg 0125191813a.jpg 0125191815b.jpg 0125191815.jpg 0201191527.jpg 0201191527d.jpg 0201191529.jpg 0201191529a.jpg 0201191529b.jpg 0204191620.jpg 0204191620.jpg 0204191621.jpg 0204191621b.jpg 0204191623.jpg 0204191623a.jpg 0204191624.jpg 0210191720.jpg 0210191721a.jpg 0210191722.jpg
    The replicas that I was about to start offering are made with aluminum tubing, with copper tubing inside to increase heft and sturdiness, printed bells that are cleaned up on the lathe, printed saddle that I have to sand the heck out of, printed retaining rings and watch crystals for the lenses.

Needless to say, it's been quite and undertaking and an adventure to take this on! I'm still kinda working on making the finish as nice as possible.

Anyway, this is NOT a for sale thread, I just wanted to share my experiences over the last 5-6 months with y'all, and FINALLY tell everyone what the scope really is!! I really didn't want to keep it a secret for so long, but I feared what might happen to prices on the real things (which are ALREADY stupidly expensive, for what they are), and I was hoping to have a suitable replica ready, in hopes that it might help keep those ridiculous prices down, as well.

So yeah, I made a prop discovery, YAY!!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    SethS likes this.
  35. Dann

I'm gonna go ahead and make a new thread about the discovery, probably should've done that first!