Revolution

It also put me in mind of Caesar from Fallout 3: New Vegas.

I'm torn over getting invested in this series. On one hand I'm interested in seeing how they explain who and how they are suppressing electrical power without killing everything. On the other hand I am still pissed off with the swicheroo they pulled with the ending of Lost where they spent the last season making up new questions and answered those instead.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Hey, thanks yt!

Yeah I remember the day we aged that Prius, it was brand spanking new in the morning, and by the end of the day looked like it does in the show!

There were a load of requests for the motor!

I didn't read this whole thread, so forgive me if someone else said this already. The premise is very close to the series of books by S.M. Stirling that started with Dies the Fire. I enjoyed that series. The books just had the addition of gunpowder and steam power not working.

But anyway, I'm hopeful the show is good. I love stories like these.

Scott

So far, I'm still interested. As someone else pointed out, I was surprised how quickly they got to Chicago. It seemed like such a big deal, "Get to Chicago, find your lost relative." Oh, we're here. Great. I also agree that the one scene definitely looked like the place where The Walking Dead finished up last season.

When they got attacked in the airplane, my first thought was that they were going to introduce a character similar to the awful bad guy in Falling Skies. So glad that wasn't the case and that they were killed right away.

Looking forward to next week. I've got a short attention span so I hope it can keep me interested.

So far, I'm still interested. As someone else pointed out, I was surprised how quickly they got to Chicago. It seemed like such a big deal, "Get to Chicago, find your lost relative." Oh, we're here.

Yeah, they could have made 2-3 episodes getting to Chicago, overcoming various perils. That could have been some good development time for the militia double agent too.

There are some serious plot holes in this thing, at least for me. But I believe in giving shows three or four episodes before I write them off. Even thought they killed off an actor I kind of like but always seems to get small parts. But IMDB claims Tim Guinee is in some future episodes. I predict a lot of flashbacks on this show. Sound familiar?

This must be set in a world where the RPF doesn't exist....

The fact that they have stills shows they can set fires and boil water...

In 15 years that place would have been a SteamPunk Wonderland.

Although the premise is that physics stopped working... so maybe at some level steam engines would fail. I mean, if bullets work and fuel burns, a combustion engine should work no problem.

Have not watched, but am curious how their universe can't have electricity? Generators don't run? Windmills don't turn? Electrons are static? Metals are too radio active to go near?

There's only two episodes, so we don't know everything yet. But it's described as physics being broken; Generators don't run. Combustion engines don't work. Batteries don't even create electricity.
They have yet to address what the cause it (it's a mystery). I wish they would go into the "science" of it more. I want to know at what point it breaks down. Does a magnet passing over a metal coil no longer generate a charge? How can you stop a combustion engine from functioning?

I imagine eventually we'll learn more and at that point we'll be even less satisfied.

I didn't see the first episode, but I did catch the second.

So, they claim chemical processes no longer work. Yet gunpowder is a chemical reaction, that seems to work just fine. So why gunpowder and not batteries? A battery is nothing more than 2 different types of metal, suspended in an acid solution. Absolutely nothing fancy about that. Egyptians had a battery, long before the chinese had gunpowder. An EMP would have zero effect on a battery, as there are no solid state electronics, involved.

To be honest, most cars wouldn't even be affected by an EMP. The car's frame makes for one heck of a farraday cage. Starters and alternators are simple mechanical devices, void of solid state circuits, especially in older cars.

Since the writer(s) either threw science out the window, or lack even the most basic understanding of physics and chemistry, what's left? Magic? To quote a Simpsons episode "any time you see something you can't explain, a wizard did it".

I get that you're supposed to suspend belief for some of these shows, but it seems as if the creator, set up a very distinct line of "laws". It's either bad science or bad writing. It would be like the writer of a vampire movie saying "vampires burn in the sun, except for vampires who wear reeboks". With strict rules like this, you quickly paint yourself into a corner you can't get out of - unless a wizrd does it.

I'm starting to think JJ Abrams was a 1 trick pony, who used up his one trick after season 2 of Lost.

-Fred

-Fred

I have doubt Abrams is a one trick pony and between Lost and all the lens flares in New Trek he used them all up. Even supposing that the emp was big enough to take out newer cars and what not there is a lot of science that has been thrown out and if it were to be magic it should have been hinted at a bit. Reminds me of that episode of the original Twilight Zone when aliens shut down that one street in a town and they all accuse each other. No tech works other than I think a gun.

I liked the second episode A LOT more than the first. I'll keep watching. Also, here's my theory on what's going on:

Someone launched a ring of satellites into orbit that are constantly broadcasting EMP waves or some pseudo science magical energy beam that is disrupting electronics from working properly. The little charms can broadcast a small inverse wave in a limited broadcast area that counteracts the energy and allows machines to work properly. They need to get a broadcast array back up and running so they can shutdown the satellite network.

I think it will turn out to be that Chuck Norris got his electric bill and was so ticked off at how high it was, he slammed his fist down which sent out shock waves, damaging any and all power generating devices.

I think it will turn out to be that Chuck Norris got his electric bill and was so ticked off at how high it was, he slammed his fist down which sent out shock waves, damaging any and all power generating devices.

Seems the more plausible of the theories.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back