Revolution

I like the premise but I dont' agree that it's illogical for all power to stop. We could be knocked into a dark age by a solar flare or massive EMP burst and some people who had shileding (military installations) would more than likely still have working items.

characters look generic. the sword fight thing was over the top. from the trailer it seems like you will see everything you need to know in the first episode, so thats a problem

im a fan of jj, but this just doesnt look that good.

15 years later and NO ONE learns how to conduct electricity?

Soooo.. did you even watch this trailer? It's not that they can't figure out how to conduct electricity, electricity stopped conducting. Chemical reactions themselves stopped working (i.e., batteries) that would generate electricity. Motors stopped, everything stopped. A little supernatural in possibility, but it's JJ Abrams and I was happy with a magic cave, so I'll give it a shot.

And of course the bad guy is Obama...Propaganda

Wha ****?

The bad guy is Obama?

You mean, the bad guy is a black guy?

We're not allowed to have bad guys that are black anymore? :facepalm

Everyone, please excuse any time I ever tried to defend this guy. He's not worth it.

wow it looks good but can the quality of the shows last (like how amc wants to make walking dead very cheaply)

Yeah, that's my concern too. I'll give it a shot though, and hope it doesn't end on a cliffhanger when it's not renewed. But JJ Abrams did get LOST through 5 seasons, so maybe it'll work out.

I have yet to learn my lesson, so I will give Abrams yet another shot. Still miss Lost, hoping to see some of that magic again.

Soooo.. did you even watch this trailer? It's not that they can't figure out how to conduct electricity, electricity stopped conducting. Chemical reactions themselves stopped working (i.e., batteries) that would generate electricity. Motors stopped, everything stopped. A little supernatural in possibility, but it's JJ Abrams and I was happy with a magic cave, so I'll give it a shot.

Wha ****?

The bad guy is Obama?

You mean, the bad guy is a black guy?

We're not allowed to have bad guys that are black anymore? :facepalm

Everyone, please excuse any time I ever tried to defend this guy. He's not worth it.

He totally reminds me of Obama...

You've defended me before? :confused

I think the show has some potential based on a couple of things. First and foremost they have to make it serial, if they pull an Alcatraz and not really explain anything until the end of the season this show will guarantee tank since fans of this style of show want to see pay off. The second thing they need to do is explain why the frak everybody is running around with no weapon more advanced than black power rifles? Ok, I buy that some mysterious/magical power is keeping any form of electricity from working but that wouldn't affect a modern firearm, they're still completely mechanical so whatever is affecting everything else shouldn't be affecting the guns and after 15 years there would still be far more modern firearms floating around than blackpowder guns.

That discussion came up a number of times previously. First, after a catastrophe like that, people are going to be stuck at their relative location. They're not going to go across the country very often. National groups become very regional. So whatever resources were in the area at the time this show is set becomes what they have. Right after there'd be a lot of fighting, ammo would be used up pretty quickly. Sure, there could be National Guard Depots with 1,000,000 rounds, but unless they are within a few days travel by horse then it's going to be out of reach for most people. Even if you do get there, you can only transport back with you what you can carry. Reloading would occur, sure, but primer caps would run out eventually and then you're at a point of having black powder and recovered lead. So you're at blackpowder guns. This show is 20 years after the show, it's not surprising that people would run out of manufactured ammo. There very well may be some people who still have modern weapons in the show, that was only a preview, and I can guarantee you they'd be people in power. But resources would become scarce and they wouldn't be that common.

That discussion came up a number of times previously. First, after a catastrophe like that, people are going to be stuck at their relative location. They're not going to go across the country very often. National groups become very regional. So whatever resources were in the area at the time this show is set becomes what they have. Right after there'd be a lot of fighting, ammo would be used up pretty quickly. Sure, there could be National Guard Depots with 1,000,000 rounds, but unless they are within a few days travel by horse then it's going to be out of reach for most people. Even if you do get there, you can only transport back with you what you can carry. Reloading would occur, sure, but primer caps would run out eventually and then you're at a point of having black powder and recovered lead. So you're at blackpowder guns. This show is 20 years after the show, it's not surprising that people would run out of manufactured ammo. There very well may be some people who still have modern weapons in the show, that was only a preview, and I can guarantee you they'd be people in power. But resources would become scarce and they wouldn't be that common.

Sure it's 15 (not 20) years later but still, wouldn't the same issues with a modern firearm apply to a blackpowder one? If you can blackpowder I don't think it would be that much more difficult to make gunpowder, the only real difficulty would be the brass and primer but it wouldn't be all that it difficult for inventive and/or motivated individuals to make esp. when you stop to think that we were making self contained cartridges back during the latter half of the 19th century before the age of heavy industrialization. Sure, they wouldn't be all that common but neither would they be completely non-existent either.

I think it's entirely possible we'll see some modern firearms in the show, but they'll be rare. Let's see the show, not just a 5 minute trailer, and we can tear it apart then.

This sounds like the TV interpretation of a book called Dies The Fire by S.M. Stirling.

I think it looks interesting enough to give it a chance. I'll probably watch it to see if it can get legs, and because it isn't on Fox.

Yeah, I have a feeling the author of Dies The Fire may be calling NBC. :)

I like the idea, hate the costume and character design. Unless the militia has a stock of hair gel to give their hunky 20 year old infiltrators. But I'm betting that won't be a big plot point. Honestly, this reminded me of The Postman.

Also made me think of Fallen Skies, but I think Fallen Skies is doing the "pretty people in peril" thing a little better.

But I'll give it my usual 3 to 4 episode shot before I decide if I hate it.

I think it's entirely possible we'll see some modern firearms in the show, but they'll be rare. Let's see the show, not just a 5 minute trailer, and we can tear it apart then.

I agree, like I said, I hope that there's some logical explanation of why we don't see any weapon more modern in design than some form of musket or why they might be scarce if we don't see many modern firearms.

1995_01_14_l.jpg

I liked this the first time I saw it....when it was called Jericho

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back