Review of the Sideshow AvP Scar Predator Helmet

Faken

Hey guys... sorry to say but this piece was a MAJOR disappointment and they completely went el cheapo on this. The Wolf is WAY better than this thing quality wise... the joke of all jokes is they've replaced the metal lense with A PIECE OF PAPER lol! So between that, lack of weathering, brush strokes, air pockets in the mold ruining the casting (the ribbing on the laser shroud is FUBAR on mine), this piece is just meh. Looks OK on the wall 10 feet away from you, but up close it blows. And the weathering is NOTHING like the prototype...

PAPER OR PLASTIC HO HO HO!

More pics and stuff here if you want to read it: http://www.predatorstuff.com/2009/03/10/pr...redator-helmet/

I also have a video on youtube in HD format you can check out at

I made the video just after getting it, so you'll have to excuse me harping on the lense thing... I was just disgusted that a $300 collectible has been reduced to something so ridiculous now. Things must be pretty bad over at Sideshow if this is how they plan on saving money.

Last edited by a moderator:
thing looked like a joke even in the pics ...now even more so....paper?..WTF

what a waste.

I guess you could fill in that nasty mark and repaint it better

AM

**** man! Those sound effects are freaking me out!

At the end of the review I heard DUN DUN DUN DUN DA DA DUN DUN then out of nowhere click click click click. So sudden.

Anyway, looks like sideshow botched this for realz.

Last edited by a moderator:
WoW, what a dissapointment, iv had this on pre-order for ages after missing out on Wolf, mine wont be shipped for another couple of weeks and im seriously considering cancelling the order now, paper eyes, bad casting, simplified paint scheme?? what a joke!!!!!! I would be interested to hear what sideshow have to say for themselves, and also what other owners have to say in responce to your feedback request... i hope this isn't a trend set for celtic, chopper and whatever may be set to follow?

Paper? PAPER????!!!!!! WTF Sideshow? Do you think people will be ok with a piece of paper when you have fans who MAKE their own Bios and are resourceful enough to not use paper? ****...what a HUGE disappointment considering the price and how good the Wolf turned out. I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole...hell I wouldn't even take it if it was given to me...I'd sell it.

I understand trying to cut costs, but PAPER? Thats just pathetic. Thank goodness there are people on the Lair who sell Bios that are 10 times better than this tripe...

**** Sideshow and **** Fox for allowing this to even happen. I'm so pissed...

Geez man...if SS was going to go that cheap than they should've lowered the price or something.

That paper looking eye lense mesh is just rediculous and I think Jason (Predatrhuntr) somed up the rest of my other thoughts as well.

The only thing I really like is the scar part on it.I still have my Wolf and its way better I agree.

MP

Appalling doesn't quite sum it up enough for me, order cancelled!! i hope whoever made that decision has been reading all of this....

I cancelled my order right before all this came about and now I'm glad I did it.I don't think I'm going to get the Celtic either now until I see or hear good reviews about it.$300 is way too much to pay for half ass work...cutting corners n s**t!!

The Sideshow Celtic looks good but if I had one reordered I would wait to see Faken's review first. It could go either way at this point...

Well, as Dan has already pointed out on other forums...Sideshow's hi-res image of the Celtic prototype strongly suggests that it has no lenses at all...

Celtic

It appears that they just left the resin in the eye openings and painted it silver.

Well that sucks. Sounds like I may end up modifying the celtic more than I thought to get it to an acceptable standard.

I dunno about the rest of you; and especially during these times, but $300 is a lot of money. So, according to Sideshow for that amount of cash you get a copy of the film used helmet.... but with a paper lense, airbubbles, and a shotty paint job. Weak. You guys should know by now as well as anyone that they're notorious for their "bait and switch" crap. They go balls out on their prototypes, get people interested, then undershoot the actual production piece(that's why they're so gay for PRE-ORDERING). I'm actually surprised they did that with the lenses seeing as how they were a big focal point in the movie when the camera would zoom in onto the cold emotionless helmet. That was cool because you got to see the level of detail and depth the lense had in the movie. I'm not crazy about the movie, but that was one of the really cool details. Unfortunately, you don't get that with this bio. You know what, if I spend $300 on something it better NOT have paper in it, on it, or anywhere near it - unless it's a certificate of some kind.

It appears that they just left the resin in the eye openings and painted it silver

With regards to the Celtic helmet, I think you're dead on. After what I've read and seen about the Scar helmet; leaving the eye holes un-trimmed and painted silver sounds about right. However, on the production piece I doubt you'll see that kind of effort.

Gets better and better then, looking at celtic i think you are right... Still cant believe they stuck printed paper in this thing, i have been looking forward to this for a long time. Also i notice there are no bad reviews on the side show site or even anything mentioning the piss taking money saving bits on the scar bio... http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=400014 just one good review, wheter thats becaues everyone els that recieved this $300 bio is still busy laughing/crying or if its because sideshow dont want a long list of bad reviews im not sure?

Also, if you look closely at picture 4 on the celtic page, the eye's look to have the same hammer effect as the rest of the bio which would indicate our suspicions are indeed correct, messing up scar is bad enough but the celtic bio was the main redieming feature of AVP, the least they can do is get it screen accurate for us?

Haha, that was awesome!
Even if I hated it, I don't think I could bring myself to trash it though.
It was educational though, so Casey, Chuck, Lee, all you other bio makers out there, you may wanna start considering paper lenses, those things are resilient...

Maybe.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back