Review of Jaqthelads AVP torso skin

mortenharket

Sr Member
Hi all, in spirit with the recent trend of reviews I have my own. I have been trying to source an upper body skin for a long time now, the problem has been sourcing one in the UK with a short lead time, I didnt want to get one from the US as I would probs get stung for customs charges so needed a cost effective solution.

So I seen an AVP style skin on ebay by a chap called jaqthelad, done some enquiring around the boards and this did appear to be his own work so I was happy in that sense as I dont believe in recasts where possible. So I placed an order about 2 weeks ago and it arrived yesterday no problems at all. First comment is that Steve is a very nice bloke to deal with and responds very quickly to your questions and updated me when i needed.

Im going to be critical here as a review should be, but this is in no way an attack on Steve because before I get to the end I will say I am very happy with it, just want to provide some "nit picky" comments. I apologise for the poor pictures as they were taken with my mobile phone.

The sculpt come in 3 parts, torso and 2 arms and I assume is based on Scar who is not my favourite predator but beggars cant be choosers and this will be painted up P1 style anyway so a minor minor gripe and I knew this anyway. The torso is MASSIVE and unless you are about 20st needs to be resized, I presumed this was the case and Steve did tell me its a large sculpt. The front of the sculpt is quite detailed with good definition on all the major muscle groups you expect, the back of the sculpt isnt as detailed as I would like (I would of liked really "ripped" lats and delts) but there is some definition that will come out in painting. But then again this area is covered by the backpack anway so another small gripe really. There is some texturing on the skin, nothing amazing but sufficient I should say :) The arms are again MASSIVE which can be expected from a 7ft tall creature, but the detail is very good, with scales on the shoulders and triceps plus good muscle definition.

The overall quality in my opinion appears good, the latex is thick througout with only a few air tiny bubbles that cant be avoided, although there is one small thinner patch on the back which has been reinforced by gauze. I tried to get a picture but it looks rubbish so have not included it. But its not so thin as to ruin the cast, its just a tad thinner that everywhere else if you catch my drift. I assume that its difficult to entirely eliminate the risk of thin parts in a cast?

So overall, yes I am very happy with this as it is what I expected and was told I was getting. It does need some modding. Either that or I need to put a few stone of lean muscle on (BEEFCAAAAAKKKEEE).

Hope this is of interest to some of you guys and helps us UK preds in our hunt for skins :)

I will give it an 8.5/10 based on the fact I need to spend a lot of time modding it to suit and the one thin patch, but again I am very happy with it, to me it seems like a good quality item and the service was quick and excellent.

thanks for that jon,.

Steves skins are something i have been looking at aswell.

just noticed a few things tho, nothing bad just observations.

was the skin trimmed before it arrived or did you have to do anything major to it.
The arm looks like its only the upper arm. i thought they were full arms..

your right in saying they are massive. this was one of the concerns i had before even thinking of buying a skin.. i asked steve about the sizes and he came back to me with the following measurments. The chest measures 48" around the outside, the waist 38".
which suits me fine.. i'm 48 - 50 inch in the chest. and..
i have some pictures of a pull he did if you want i can stick them up.

again thanks for the review Jon hope it turns out well after paint

thanks for that jon,.

Steves skins are something i have been looking at aswell.

just noticed a few things tho, nothing bad just observations.

was the skin trimmed before it arrived or did you have to do anything major to it.
The arm looks like its only the upper arm. i thought they were full arms..

your right in saying they are massive. this was one of the concerns i had before even thinking of buying a skin.. i asked steve about the sizes and he came back to me with the following measurments. The chest measures 48" around the outside, the waist 38".
which suits me fine.. i'm 48 - 50 inch in the chest. and..
i have some pictures of a pull he did if you want i can stick them up.

again thanks for the review Jon hope it turns out well after paint

Hi Colm, its came untrimmed. But in fairness the cast is pretty clean and doesnt need much and the arms go past the elbows so are about 3/4's then lol. I should imagine they will go inside the gauntlet. Yeah go for it bud stick the pics up.

Looking forward to having the time to work on it, just bought it when I had the cash spare lol :)

Spare cash in this day and age. fair play... :) :)

yea here are the pictures he sent me a little while back.. he hadn't got the legs raw only a painted version... but they look fairly decent aswell. i thnk its the same image as on ebay.

anyway here are the pics he sent me
IMG_0393.jpg.gif

IMG_0394.jpg.gif

IMG_0395.jpg.gif

IMG_0393.jpg.gif

IMG_0394.jpg.gif

IMG_0395.jpg.gif

About time someone had a positive review out of the previous five :). Looks nice, and now, you can add foam inside and make a ripped muscle suit that could be easily fitted to multiple sizes. Smart seller, cost cutting and effective, having a sort of one size fits all suit when you consider that half the muscle in a scratch muscle suit is foam anyway. Oh, and yay cartman! (if you read the review and don't get that, then look up beefcake and south park :))

About time someone had a positive review out of the previous five :). Looks nice, and now, you can add foam inside and make a ripped muscle suit that could be easily fitted to multiple sizes. Smart seller, cost cutting and effective, having a sort of one size fits all suit when you consider that half the muscle in a scratch muscle suit is foam anyway. Oh, and yay cartman! (if you read the review and don't get that, then look up beefcake and south park :))

Cheers, I have my weightgain 4000 on order :)

Skin looks nice to be fair and is his own work, but personally i wouldnt buy a bucket of water off him if i was on fire.

Once a recaster , ALWAYS a recaster.

Very nice work, looks good
I did mail him a couple of times to see if i could buy a couple of dreads so i could check the qaulity, never heard back from him.

Perhaps he doesnt want his items getting into the hands of the competition :) Latex are no substitute for foam dreads :eek:

I put a slit up the back last night and the chest section will fit me spot on with a tiny bit of foaming. The arms need a lot of work because unless your a bear your gonna struggle :) Got a little excited and shot on my Usurper P1 with booie dreads and AVP rings, usurper wolf neck ring (still needs painting I know), Usurper P1 legs and Manowar P2 hands. Its starting to come together :)

I know I know I know lol. I have a few threads to delete too to clear space (can anyone tell me how to do that please? I looked and couldnt find an option). Ive still got a tonne of stuff to do but its coming together and yes the neck ring is mahooosive lol.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back